AshleyWalker75
Lexus

Gay marriage should be legalized.

AshleyWalker75

Pro

Everyone, men and women, without any limitation due race, nationality or religion should have the right to marry and to found a family. I believe that gay marriage should be acceptable in all places around the world because it shouldn't matter how old or what gender you are, love is love and no one should tell you otherwise. Therefore, gay marriage should be legalized.
Lexus

Con

Hello, I accept this debate.
We are going to be debating whether or not gay marriage should be legalized worldwide.
Pro has burden of proof. This is not an on balance type of debate, they must prove that all of the world should legalize gay marriage.
I will present my case next round
AshleyWalker75

Pro

hello there, I want to talk about the debate we are having.
Gay marriage legalization, is a topic, and issue that is being questioned at the moment, all around the world. Countries are unsure of whether to legalize, same sex marriage. I have collected a couple of strong arguments, that are for the legalization of same-sex marriage. I'd like to begin with identifying gay people. Gay people, are no different than me or you, they have the same rights as you, all around the world, whether the country permits their marriage. It is a human right to have their freedom to love, whether that be a man or a woman. Being gay is not a choice, people believe that it is, but people are born gay, they don't become gay later in life. I believe that gay people should have the right to express their feelings to others without being judged. This meaning, that even when people come out to others, they shouldn't feel scared for their life. Statistics show that 9 out of 10 school kids are bullied, beaten and bashed because they are gay. They take their lives because they feel unaccepted in our society. I don"t think people should die for feeling what they fee, it is as much of their right to love who they love, as it is for the straight population, to love who they love. Homosexual behavior is an act of freedom of choice, people should learn to understand and respect other people"s feelings for each other. Secondly, religious beliefs say that it is offending to the bible, but no where it the bible does it say to go against gay marriage. Gay marriage should be legal worldwide because they are people and they should have the right to love.

People shouldn't be judged or frowned upon for having feelings they can't control. Who are we to say that someone can't be married to the same sex, we are not God or anyone special to judge others so we can't tell people how to live their lifestyle. Everyone deserves to be happy and if being gay is something that makes someone feel accepted in this crazy society, then everyone should let them. People should be allowed same rights as men and women.
Lexus

Con

Thanks for starting this debate. Because my opponent has not stated whether this round will solely be for constructive cases or constructive cases and rebuttals, I will be assuming that the latter is a good idea.
I only have to prove that we should not legalize gay marriage. I can do this in a variety of ways, which will be shown in my contentions down below.
Now, I did Student Congress debate when I was in High School, so I like debating as if I was a legislator, so I am going to be taking the stance as if I was a US senator/representative/whatever. Sorry if this bothers my opponent or the voters, this is just the only way that I can formulate an argument that is politically debatable such as this [gay marriage legalization]/
-----
Constructive Case
Contention 1.
Marriage in any sense is harmful.
In the USA, which I am going to assume that my opponent is from, it is widely known that approximately 50% of ALL marriages end in a divorce [1]. Marriage that ends in divorce (as stated in [1]) oftentimes leads to a deficit in knowledge and academic ability in the children that are left behind in the marriage, mostly due to only having one parent or a divided household, or many other factors that come into play. We cannot, as the people that are trying to set up the laws for the US and the world (since the resolution in R1 stated that this is a WORLDWIDE debate, not only USA), try to make our future leaders of America and the world be left behind in divorce because we allow ANY type of marriage to occur within the world. Because of the serious harms that are presented by any type of marriage, I have successfully proved that gay marriage, as well as straight ("soceitally permissible") marriage are too harmful to our nation, thus we must negate the resolution.
Contention 2. Poor parenting from gay married couples.
This is moving away from the faults within any type of marriage, and is now going into why gay marriages themselves are not good for the children that they often have/adopt. Children that have grown up in a house that is led by a mother that was in a lesbian relationship, or by a father that was a gay relationship, have higher incidences of these key things than children that were raised by their biologically intact family[2]:
  • marijuana
  • smoking
  • being arrested
  • pleading guilty to non-minor offenses
  • living on public assistance (note, not gay fathers, just lesbian mothers)
  • unemployment (note, not gay fathers, just lesbian mothers)
  • lower family security than any other group
  • suicidal thoughts (note, note lesbian mothers, just gay fathers)
  • depression
  • sexually touched by a parent or other adult as a child
  • rape (not victim blaming, just looking at the raw statistics)
  • Sexually Transmitted Infections
  • affairs that were committed by the child
  • lowest incidences of heterosexuality (not inherently bad, but this leads to more children that grow up with the above bad things that happen to them)
Now, proponents are trying to do something noble by coming up here and saying that they want equality for all under the eyes of the law, and I understand what their thinking is. However, when you look at the raw statistics, you can see that children that are born into a gay family (due to gay marriages/straight divorce that lead into gay marriage) often have a more troubling life than those of us who were born into wedlock in a heterosexual setting.
Contention 3. Religious criticisms.
I will keep this contention fairly short, but this is an important thing to bring up. Most of the US is Christian (77% to be exact)[3]. Because there are so many Americans that are devout to the Holy Book (the Bible), it is important that we try to bring up some verses that are in common knowledge that go against homosexual marriage.
  • “Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin” [4]
  • “That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires… women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other… men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other… as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.” [5]
Contention 4. Sovereignty.
I am going to keep this contention very very short, since it goes nearly without saying, but the US has to respect the sovereignty of other nations that follow a theocracy-based government, or a government that does not conform to the idea of homosexual marriage (and rightly so). Being a US representative (remember, mock student congress. Sorry if this angers you!), I cannot say that it is moral to try to make other nations, such as Saudi Arabia or Iran, conform to our new way of thinking. We have to respect that we are not representatives of Saudi Arabia, we are not representatives of Iran; we are representatives of a sovereign nation that is the USA, and a nation that only has the ability to pass laws that influence its own borders (mostly...).

[1]: http://dailyinfographic.com...
[2]: http://www.familystructurestudies.com...
[3]: http://www.gallup.com...;
[4]: Leviticus 18:22, New Living Translation, Holy Bible
[5]: Romans 1:26, New Living Translation, Holy Bible

-----
Rebuttals:
"Gay marriage legalization, is a topic, and issue that is being questioned at the moment, all around the world. Countries are unsure of whether to legalize, same sex marriage"
People have been questioning to be legalizing the mass murder of blacks and jews for hundreds of years, that does not mean that it is a good idea....

"Gay people, are no different than me or you"
Other than the fact that their children oftentimes have self-destructive behavior and are often unstable as a result of their parents sexuality.

" It is a human right to have their freedom to love"
We're not debating that. We're debating the legalization of worldwide gay marriage.

"but people are born gay, they don't become gay later in life"
I agree. That doesn't mean they deserve the right to marry.

" Statistics show that 9 out of 10 school kids are bullied, beaten and bashed because they are gay"
Source plz

"They take their lives because they feel unaccepted in our society."
I'm not saying that we should not respect people on the basis of who the have sex with, just instead who they decide to marry. Society rarely conforms to laws made by the US congress, in case you haven't noticed. Passing a law doesn't mean society will change overnight.

" Secondly, religious beliefs say that it is offending to the bible, but no where it the bible does it say to go against gay marriage"
I have you a place where it does, so read my case, then get back to me. Thanks <3

"Gay marriage should be legal worldwide because they are people and they should have the right to love."
Again, not debating the right of love, we're debating the right of marriage to someone of the same sex.

"People shouldn't be judged or frowned upon for having feelings they can't control"
I agree wholeheartedly. Not getting a marriage =/= getting frowned upon.
Come on, this entire argument is baseless. I don't hate the gays and want to see them put to death. Honestly, I think that's a dumb idea, I still respect their rights to life and love, just not their right to marriage.

"we are not God"
The Holy Book is the word of God, and if the Holy Book says that gay marriage is not good, then it is bad in God's eyes.
-----
Thanks for this debate. I love playing devil's advocate (look at my debate page, you can see that I am gay and am in favor of gay marriage). Posted this argument with only 400 characters left.
AshleyWalker75

Pro

Thank you for your reply, I have read your arguments and I have thought them through.
In response to your first contention that marriage in any sense is harmful. I have a couple of things to say.

Contention 1
I understand that marriage typically ends in divorce, but this is debate is about the legalization of gay marriage. whether or not gay marriage is legalized, divorce are still going to happen. it has nothing to do with whether the couple is straight or homosexual.

"Because of the serious harms that are presented by any type of marriage, I have successfully proved that gay marriage, as well as straight ("soceitally permissible") marriage are too harmful to our nation, thus we must negate the resolution."

When you say this, I assume that you are suggesting that straight marriage should be illegal. In saying this many people would say that this is against tradition.

If marriage equality is passed this means that without a doubt people or gay people would still get divorced. But it's everyone's right to try to live a happy live, which includes to marry whoever they want to or whoever they love.

The ability of same-sex couples to get married doesn't alter a single aspect of heterosexual marriages " directly or indirectly. The legal rights and benefits of heterosexual couples are completely unaffected by the existence of gay marriage.
Moreover, accepting gay marriage as a civil right does not impinge on the rights of those who religiously and morally opposed it, and it does not do any damage to the people outside this marriage.

On top of that, couples living together often have the need to receive marriage benefits and protection from the government in order to live. Examples are tax relief and insurance breaks. In addition, a married couple can often support each other in difficult times both financially and emotionally. The benefit of marriage to the couple is significant, and they should have equal right to be married.

Contention 2

I would like to start of with the things you have listed. These accusations can happen just as much as in a heterosexual marriage as it can happen in a homosexual marriage. These things have little to nothing significance in whether or not the child or family will acquire them.

Some of my closest friends (who have heterosexual parents) are doing the same and feeling the same as what you are claiming, that only children of same-sex couples are doing. I know people who are suicidal, depressed and smoke marijuana, etc. This proves that gay marriage has nothing to do with these accusations. It's a fallacy.

In addition, as married couples are happier more optimistic and more energetic than singles, they are more productive and less likely to face health problems such as depression.

World's largest study on same-sex parents finds kids are healthier and happier than peers.
A cross-sectional study of children raised by gay couples, the largest of its kind, found that the kids are all right -- and are, by some measures, doing even better than their peers.

"We found that children from same-sex families scored, on average, 6 percent better on two key measures, general health and family cohesion, even when controlling for a number sociodemographic factors such as parent education and household income. But on most health measures, including emotional behaviour and physical functioning, there was no difference when compared with children from the general population."

Contention 3

I understand that 77% of the population in the United States, is Christian. I also understand that the Bible states that Homosexuality is a sin, but there are Christians in the US, and all over the world, that don't think this. More and more Christians are becoming open to the idea of Gay marriage, and support it. Just because it says in a book, that it should not happen, people still have their basic human rights to decide for themselves. As well, I would like to point out, that the US is not only consisting of Christians, but also other religions and races, that believe that Homosexuals should have just as much right to marry, as heterosexuals can.
Lastly, I would like to remind you, that this Debate, is referring to the whole world, and not just the US. Again, the whole world, has different religions, and races, that Christianity is not the only religion, that can dictate, whether or not same-sex marriage should be legalized.

Contention 4

I understand that the US can't decide over other countries, but the US influences many other countries since we are a world leader. I'm not saying that the world is going to change overnight, it's going to be gradual. If legalization of gay marriage starts in global leader countries, it will eventually influence other countries to join the legalization of gay marriage.

Many countries throughout the world have extended equal rights of marriage to same-sex couples. The first country to do so was Denmark in 1989. Later in 2000, Denmark also allowed legal adoptions for these married gay couples. Other countries were able to observe how legalizing gay marriage only made the institution of marriage stronger, both for heterosexuals and homosexuals. Soon, in 1993 Norway formed Registered Domestic Partnerships, and in 1996, Iceland formed Registered Cohabitations. Both of these legislations extended gay marriage and adoption rights to gay couples. In recent years, Germany in 2000, the Netherlands in 2001, and Belgium and Canada in 2002, have all agreed that "discrimination of marriage laws based on sexual orientation" is not only unjust but also "unconstitutional". It has been proven in these countries that the opposing fears of legalizing gay marriages based on the idea of causing an increase in divorce rates and STDs, along with the loss of monogamous relationships, have no merit. In all of the countries with legalized gay marriage, studies have shown no increase in STDs and a dramatic decrease in divorce rates. So why not legalize gay marriage worldwide? it doesn't harm anyone. It would bring joy and peace to the world.

Benefits

Increase in child adoption
If gay marriage is to be legalized, the number of child adoption would increase, since gay couples cannot procreate naturally. Although some might take this as an argument against gay marriage due to the claim that there will be detrimental effect on the children's psychological health, there is no conclusive research to suggest that child will be less healthy growing up in a gay household. Many children in the world are living in a stable gay household, and it is shown that they are as healthy. The only thing that matters in a children's growth is the love and care from the parents, not the gender.

Additionally, allowing homosexual couples to marry will integrate them into the community. The benefits and support from the government can indeed foster a stronger sense of belonging to the community in which gay couples are more motivated to contribute to the society. this is a cornerstone to a stable society.
_______________________________________________________
http://www.salon.com...
http://www.lawteacher.net...
Lexus

Con

Thanks for replying. I will defend my case from refutations then tell the voters why I am winning this debate.
-----
Defense.
"I understand that marriage typically ends in divorce, but this is debate is about the legalization of gaymarriage. whether or not gay marriage is legalized, divorce are still going to happen"
By not legalizing gay marriage we would not have to deal with all of these harms that are created by divorce. By outlawing ALL marriage, we wouldn't have to deal with ANY of these harms. I don't understand where you're going with this.

"When you say this, I assume that you are suggesting that straight marriage should be illegal. In saying this many people would say that this is against tradition. "
I am implying that.
Tradition shmadition. I didn't use tradtion as a contention, so it doesn't matter to me if it's against tradition. Tradition is often broken.

"If marriage equality is passed this means that without a doubt people or gay people would still get divorced."
Concession to the fact that divorce is not permissible, so by transitive thinking, gay marriage is not, either.

" The legal rights and benefits of heterosexual couples are completely unaffected by the existence of gay marriage. "
That's not really what my contention was about...

"These accusations can happen just as much as in a heterosexual marriage as it can happen in a homosexual marriage"
Wow. Did you read my source?
These 'accusations' do not happen as often happen in a traditional marriage as they do in a homosexual marriage.
Re-read my entire contention and read what my source was saying please.

"It's a fallacy. "
My source says that this is not a fallacy.

"World's largest study on same-sex parents finds kids are healthier and happier than peers."
What is the importance of happiness when it is in the midst of drugs, suicide, depression and rape?

"[entire argument against contention 3]"
If 77% of people in the US, and a lot of people in the world, believe that being gay is not permissable by God or the Bible, then we can honestly tell that it is not permissable. 77% is a large majority, more than the 23% that would be in favor of gay marriage.

"I understand that the US can't decide over other countries, but the US influences many other countries since we are a world leader. I'm not saying that the world is going to change overnight, it's going to be gradual. If legalization of gay marriage starts in global leader countries, it will eventually influence other countries to join the legalization of gay marriage. "
We have no ability to force Jordan to accept gay marriage, and you never gave the voters any reason why we should make them allow it, so your argument is invalid. Remember, BoP!

"Many countries throughout the world have extended equal rights of marriage to same-sex couples. "
Many countries also had Jim Crow laws that allowed the legal disenfranchisement of black/colored people. That does not mean that it is morally/societally/ethically permissable.

"Increase in child adoption "
What is the benefit of child adoption when the adopted children are brought into a home life that is destructive to their future?
-----
Wrap-up:
I am winning this debate for the following reasons:
  • my opponent's case has been rendered invalid
  • my opponent's refutations have been rendered invalid
  • my opponent has not met their BoP to prove that the ENTIRE WORLD should allow gay marriage
  • I have proven that at least one nation (USA) should not allow gay marriage, thus negating resolution
  • I have used more and more reliable sources than my opponent
  • excellent conduct (e.g. not calling my opponent out on using a fallacy when they didn't)

Thank you again for this debate!