ThatRepublicanGuy
BlindFollower

Gay marriage should not be legal in the United States

ThatRepublicanGuy

ThatRepublicanGuy

Pro

I would like to debate against someone who provides more than, "They can do what they want, it doesn't hurt anybody". I want to debate against someone who knows specific reasons why gay marriage should be legal.
During this debate, I will bring up my main points in round 2 and rebuttal in round 3.
My main point will be as followed.
-It offends almost ALL religions
-It is a choice
-Gays can be united by law, but not something as sacred as marriage. IT IS MORE THAN JUST A WORD!
Good luck to my opponent and I wish to have a good, well constructed debate.
Thank You.
BlindFollower

Con

Give me your best shot.
ThatRepublicanGuy

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate, and I wish you the best of luck. One thing I would like to say before we start, is that I am not homofobic, and would not like to be called homofobic.
I will start out with the fact that homosexuality offends many religions. A list of religions that are against homosexuality are as follows:
American Baptist
Many forms of Christianity
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Islam
Orthodox Judaism
(Source- http://www.politifact.com...-/)
Though all of these religions may not be huge in America, there are still few religions that support homosexuality. A main argument that I'm sure many people have heard is, "It isn't hurting anyone, so why do you care?" Though physically, people are not hurt, but emotionally, and spiritually, people are hurt. It is similar to cyber bullying, (I am not saying gay people bully straight people!) in the way that the victims are not physically abused, but emotionally. You cannot have gay marraige without destoying religion itself, is my point.
Next, I will be trying to argue that homosexuality IS a choice. To try and say that homosexuality is genetic is ridiculous. It is like saying that I will be a fireman when I grow up! I am attracted to women, not because my genes MADE me, but because I want to like women. What about bisexuals, too? Did they choose to like both genders or is that genetic? Also, what about gay people that at one point liked women, but then somewhere throughout there lives decided to like women, or vise versa? Did their genes change halfway through there lives?
Lastly, I will be going over marraige. Marraige is not just a word, but a religious term that represents the untiy of a man and a women, not two men. Homosexuals should be abl to be united by law, just not by marraige. They have the same right as we have, to marry the opposing gender, so they are not being treated like second class citizens, as my opponent may try to say. once again, marraige and sacred and to allow gays to get married changes it's meaning.
I look forward to hearing your response, and once again, thank you for accepting this debate.
BlindFollower

Con

BlindFollower forfeited this round.
ThatRepublicanGuy

Pro

Since my opponent has forfieted, I believe that he now agrees with the resolve.
BlindFollower

Con

BlindFollower forfeited this round.
Posted by Spacenut 2 years ago
Spacenut
Oh, please. Being gay isn't a choice. May I direct your attention to the Hetrosexual Questionaire, by Martin Rochlin:

What do you think caused your heterosexuality?
When and how did you first decide you were heterosexual?
Is it possible that your heterosexuality is just a phase you may grow out of?
Is it possible that your heterosexuality stems from a fear of others of the same sex?
If you have never slept with a member of your own sex, is it possible that you might be gay if you tried it?
If heterosexuality is normal, why are so many mental patients heterosexual?
Why do you heterosexual people try to seduce others into your lifestyle?
Why do you flaunt your heterosexuality? Can't you just be who you are and keep it quiet?
The great majority of child molesters are heterosexual. Do you consider it safe to expose your children to heterosexual teachers?
With all the societal support that marriage receives, the divorce rate is spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexual people?
Why are heterosexual people so promiscuous?
Would you want your children to be heterosexual, knowing the problems they would face, such as heartbreak, disease, and divorce?
Posted by InVinoVeritas 2 years ago
InVinoVeritas
Con's account is closed.
Posted by xashfordx 2 years ago
xashfordx
ThatRepublicanGuy- You are so wrong! Being gay is a choice?! are you kidding me! I am gay and know for a fact it is not a choice at all. For as far back as I remember I have always had an attraction to men. Obviously I didn't know what it was at first, because I didn't know about sex and all that. However, going through my teens I realized I fancied men and not women (hoping it was a faze, I did not act on it and waited to grow out of it)
I went on numerous dates with girls, just hoping I could get that same attraction to them as I did for men, but it never happened. Just the thought of sex with a woman did nothing for me, did not turn me on in the slightest.
It was a very difficult time for me, feeling like the freak, to scared to tell people in case they reacted in a hostile manner. However, over time I grew in confidence and learned to be happy with who I was and told my friends and family and they were very supportive (like a real loving family should be)
So I can defiantly say, it was not a choice for me, I would have not chosen to be scared to death everyday, when going to school, just in case some one realized. To scared to tell my own family and feeling like a monster!!!

As for going on about it offending most religions- that is not an argument. Most sane people these days know that religion is irrelevant. Just a way to control the masses and spread messages of hate.

On the topic of should gays be allowed to get married. Yes we should be allowed, but I don't think any of us should. Marriage does obviously have a religious meaning and why would anyone want to associate themselves with A) the backwards teachings of religion and B) the constant failure of marriage reunions which don't mean a thing. It would be better to have something similar where gay people can celebrate their love for each other and also have legal rights in case of tragic circumstances.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
ThatRepublicanGuyBlindFollowerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I refuse to give Pro argument points, as he stated homosexuality is a choice with no evidence to back this false claim. Every bit of scientific and social science shows this is false. Pro did provide arguments and sources and did not forfeit, as such I give these points to Pro. Spelling and Grammar go to Pro as well, as Con made not attempt to write anything except one sentence so there can be no points for Con. In closing would like to see the sources Pro gets his Homosexuality is a choice information from.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
ThatRepublicanGuyBlindFollowerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit