PlanetTutTutTurtle
16kadams

Gay marriage

16kadams

PlanetTutTutTurtle

Pro

I will be debating in favor of why gay marriage should be legal. My opponent, should they choose to take it, will argue against this. Goood luck...
16kadams

Con

Accepted.
PlanetTutTutTurtle

Pro

Denying people gay marriage rights is a direct violation of the First Amendment of the United States, guaranteeing people the freedom of religion, press, speech, and assembly.

It would also decrease the number of kids in children's homes, because that's how gay couples must have children.

Marriage is about uniting two people that love each other, and nothing else should matter. Allowing gay marriage will only strenghten the idea of marriage.
http://www.angelfire.com...

Sorry about the length, but yeah I just wanted to get to the point.
16kadams

Con

Thanks for the debate.

~Refutations~

R1: First amendment

explain, as this as of now makes no sense. Arguing the 14th makes sense, but is refutable. This makes no sense.

R2: Love

Marriage is not about love, in the governments eyes, but rather procreation. In this debate the goverment (sadly) in this day and age now regulate marriage. The question is why? They must have a purpose. The purpose is procreation. If they cared about love they would be regulating other relationships too. As this is not the case, chances are they do not care about love.

~My case~

The secular case against gay marriage:

1." Heterosexual union is the indispensable means by which humans come into existence and therefore has special social value (indeed, the greatest possible social value because it is the first precondition for society).

2. The indispensable means by which something of special social value can occur itself has special value.

3. What has special value to human society deserves special social recognition and sanction.

4. Civil ordinances which recognize gay marriage as comparable to heterosexual marriage constitute a rejection of the special value of heterosexual unions.

5. To deny the special social value of what has special social value is unjust.

6. Therefore, gay marriage is unjust."[1]

P1: Procreation

Heterosexual marriage laws the ground work for a relationship that creates and raises children. (sperm + egg). Now, the goverment gives many benefits economically, tax wise, etc to married couples. [2] The reason they only give them to traditional couples is because of their ability to procreate. Having children is the only way to continue society and advance our culture and race. As the heterosexual couples are the only people who can advance society in this way, and well pay back the benefits they get through marriage, then they deserve a state recognition. The goverment makes laws based of of interests, and their interest in this case is procreation. Therefore allowing gay marriage would be unjust as it debars the special recognition the heterosexual couples deserve.

P2: Is marriage about love?

People who are pro gay marriage usually have the claims that marriage is about love, but this is far from true. If marriage is about love, then why is the state involved? They are involved due to some sort of interest. If the goverment cared about love, then they would attempt to regulate and control friendships or non marital relationships.

The reason they regulate marriage over these other relationships is because marriage is where you are meant to produce a larger workforce. The reason they do not regulate other relationships is because they have no good reason to do so, at all.

The goverment in marriage needs two things: 1) legal commitment, 2) procreation and the ability to raise a child. A boyfriend girlfriend relationship may produce offspring in the process, but as they are not legally binding situation it is easier for them to break apart, and they will not be able to raise the child. A homosexual relationship will be lacking the legal bind, and the ability to produce offspring. Even if we did give them a legal bind, they would not be able to create children therefore not fulfilling the states interest fully.

P3: Infertile couples

One argument used against the procreation argument is the infertile argument. This objection is a misunderstood rebuttal, they do not understand the debate at point. The argument is not fully based of of the ability to reproduce, but rather a type of relationship in which procreation is possible to start off. It is not an argument fully based of of the argument they can make kids, but also an argument based of of the ability to have the similar effect, a procreative type union.

P3: Benefits

My opponent without a doubt will start to argue as marriage has benefits isn't it fair homosexuals receive them too? Any society, goverment, or institution that distinguishes marriage in a certain way will prohibit some types of marriage. A prohibition of SSM does not violate the equal protection clause as we must first have a definition of what marriage is. You cannot confirm that a SSM ban is unconstitutional unless we determine exactly what marriage is, and what it is for. [3]

It is only unconstitutional if they are unjustly debarred the right. Ex: Is it unconstitutional if we debar a murderer from a gun? No. That is a just cause, and with my secular case against gay marriage I have proven they are justly debarred the right. By saying it is unconstitutional you are saying it discriminates without just cause, and that this group deserves the right. As murderers do not deserve a right to a gun, then it is constitutional. In the states eyes homosexual couples cannot produce offspring therefore do not fulfill states interest, and do not deserve the right.

Just because something may have inherent good effects does not mean they deserve the legal benefits. The challenge to my opponent, and the argument he needs to press is: What are the states interest in giving these couples rights? If the State has no reason to give you benefits then why should they? Marriage is by definition between a man and a woman, and no one else, and the states interest is in a procreative type relationship, a gay couple does not entitle to these benefits.

I urge a Con vote.

sources:

http://wisdomandfollyblog.com...... [1]
http://www.nolo.com...... [2]
Sherif Girgis, Robert P. George, and Ryan T. Anderson, "What is Marriage?" [3]
PlanetTutTutTurtle

Pro

Sorry, but I do not have enough time to research this and debate it...I concede.
16kadams

Con

I thank my opponents concession. As she gave Up I urge I vote for traditional marriage (con).
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
Stop spamming my debate comments...
Posted by ahopele 4 years ago
ahopele
Same old procreation argument...
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
Or acceptance only
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
Should I post my argument now?
Vote Placed by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
PlanetTutTutTurtle16kadamsTied
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
PlanetTutTutTurtle16kadamsTied
Vote Placed by Mimshot 4 years ago
Mimshot
PlanetTutTutTurtle16kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff