Shomlam
uwaga

Gay marriage

uwaga

Shomlam

Pro

homosexual couples should be allowed to marry
uwaga

Con

Assuming first round is for acceptance.

Wait what? I have 10 minutes to come up with a convincing argument about such a subject of controversy as gay marriage? This shall be quite interesting.
Shomlam

Pro

Shomlam forfeited this round.
uwaga

Con

My sincerest apologies for my poor argument. It usually takes me an hour of research and collecting sources to present a good argument, not 10 minutes!

Marriage is a sacred act in Christianity. The fact that homosexuals, who are sinners in the eyes of the bible according to several verses, Leviticus 18:20 if I'm not mistaken, for example, is mocking Christianity. Sorry if that is incorrect, but there is no time to check right now.

But what about all the rights that marriage brings? These rights through marriage should be given instead of through marriage, through some other type of legal partnership. Marriage is one of the 7 sacraments of the catholic church, and it is a very important, holy event. Allowing this act to be committed by sinners, to permit more sins, should not be legal.

Again, my apologies for this poor excuse of an argument, but for someone extremely pressed on time, with the challenge of arguing such a touchy subject, I think I did pretty OK :p
Shomlam

Pro

Shomlam forfeited this round.
uwaga

Con

Marriage is heavily influenced by religion. And according the the bible, it is a sin to lie with another man like one would lie with a woman. There are still many ways to show love between homosexual couples without involving religious ceremonies in this.

And where are we to draw the line? Gay marriage is sexually immoral according to the bible, and yet somehow it is still legal. Well, according to the bible, incest is also a sin (another verse in Leviticus, but again, no time to check, sorry). Should we make it legal for a sister to get married with her brother? Well it's equal rights, correct?

What one does with their partner, be it a homosexual partner or a heterosexual partner, is of no matter to me. But when they start involving a religious ceremony that is sacred to a religion strongly opposed to gay marriage is a different story.

Pro has presented absolutely no argument, except for one opening statement.

Vote con - at least I tried.
Posted by DomriRade4444 1 year ago
DomriRade4444
I would be interested in debating this, btw, my profile says i'm 42 but thats wrong.
Posted by uwaga 1 year ago
uwaga
That's what debating is ^_^ Just spew your opinion out, then find a few articles or studies to back it up, so it doesn't sound like you're making stuff up. Then argue why your point is better than the other person's.

I'm sure you could find 10 credible studies or sources in 15 minutes about this topic, since gay marriage is not so much debated on nowadays, as it is agreed with.

Next time, give yourself a little more time to find sources and make an argument. From what I've seen, most people set the limit to 3 days, which gives people adequate time to find reliable sources, make an argument, revise it, and post it, without having too much pressure to get it done on time.
Posted by connorjfield 1 year ago
connorjfield
Just don't submit it until you feel real good about what you have. and maybe set the times for submitting arguments a bit longer :P
Posted by connorjfield 1 year ago
connorjfield
That's not a terrible thing. spew your opinion then go back and read it. anything that looks like a fact or just strikes you as a strong point do some research on google and see what sources you find that back up or strengthen the opinion you shared.
Posted by Shomlam 1 year ago
Shomlam
Sorry, i just did this debate for the first time, and i had no idea that i would require me to be back so soon, i thought the ten minutes would count down as i did the reply. Sorry, but even if i went all out i would have still lost... i'm not good with sources. I would have just spewed my opinion out XD.
Posted by uwaga 1 year ago
uwaga
Yeah, I didn't realize it either. I thought I would have a good day or so to sit and think about presenting a strong case, and browsing different sources, and furthering my education on the matter.

Then I return back to this page to post my acceptance post, and see I have 6 minutes to write XD

Ah well, this just adds a little more fun to the challenge. I do hope my opponent realizes their error and doesn't end up forfeiting every round. That would be boring.
Posted by connorjfield 1 year ago
connorjfield
looks like he didn't mean to do that. don't think he realizes it either.
Posted by uwaga 1 year ago
uwaga
Oh my! I had no idea I had a mere 10 minutes per round to locate sources, and present a plausible argument about gay marriage! That's pretty crazy XD
Vote Placed by 430miletime 1 year ago
430miletime
ShomlamuwagaTied
Reasons for voting decision: gay marriage should be illegal. It has no purpose. Usualy things without a purpose gets thrown away.
Vote Placed by DomriRade4444 1 year ago
DomriRade4444
ShomlamuwagaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't think the christian bible can be used as the basis for government laws, but disregarding this because pro said nothing, and impressive debating on con, con wins everything.