sheridandebate
lannan13

Gay marriage

lannan13
Started: 6/22/2015 Category: Economics

sheridandebate

Pro

I believe that gay marriage should be legal in all states. You may not realize it, but the reason your against it is because it's not normal to you. Most people dream of getting married to the opposite sex of themselves, but some people don't. Others dream of marrying the same sex. There's nothing wrong with that! People go around and say that gays are sinners and that they shouldn't have the right to get married. Gays are still humans beings. People. People with rights and freedom. gays just want to be happy. Let them enjoy their lives. Heterosexuals are able to reproduce. Heterosexuals are supposed to remain abstinent until marriage, but with most, that's not the case. their reward is to be allowed the right to get married. Homosexuals aren't able to reproduce and their reward is to be denied the right to get married. It doesn't make sense.
lannan13

Con

Contention 1: Homosexuals should not get married.

First let me give you a Bible verse that is against the Bible.

Leviticus 18:22, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." An abomination is anything that is disgusting to God.

Leviticus 20:13, "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Now I state that homosexuals should not get married, because it is against many different religions and we can all agree that marriage is a religious Sacrament where that the church says it is between a man and a women. (http://www.americancatholic.org...) Now the US has the Separation of church and state, so my point is that the federal government should stay out of a religious affair as it has no right to intervene.

Contention 2: Civil Unions are a better alternative to Gay marriage

Now I know my opponent will probably bring up that I don't want two people that love each other together, but that is false. I as fact have two homosexual uncles, but am still against Gay Marriage. I instead support Civil Unions. What are Civil Unions you may ask? According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a Civil Union is a legal relationship between two people of the same sex that gives them some of the same rights and responsibilities that married people have. (http://www.merriam-webster.com...) Now reading this you may ask yourself why are you against gay marriage then? Simply for the reason stated in Contention 1. Let me show you it's effectiveness. New Jersey and Vermont both have legalized Civil Unions instead of Gay Marriage and they give you the same exact right as a married couple. Here's who can enter a Civil Union.

the same sexover 18 years old (or meet requirements for an exception)not a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriagenot closely related to each other (for example, not an ancestor, descendant, sibling, niece, nephew, aunt or uncle)(http://www.lambdalegal.org...) Also according to Pew research Center, 57% of Americans approve of Civil Unions (with a 37% oppose) while 53% of Americans oppose Gay Marriage (37% favor).

Here are the support numbers between men and women. Men Civil Unions: 54% for 40% against, women Civil Unions: 60% for 35% oppose, Men Gay Marriage: 34% for 59% oppose, Women Gay Marriage 43% for 48% against. (http://www.people-press.org...)

Contention 3: Financial gain from Civil Unions

Civil Union produce tons of money. In Hawaii on one single day then generated, $1.4 million a day it also increased tourism to Hawaii by 43%! They have shown that if the current status quo continues then they will produce $2.2 million a year due to homosexuals visiting the state. Also in Hawaii they get health insurence. (http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu...)

Contention 4: Marriage is for repopulation as well.

We all know that homosexuals cannot reproduce. In an article by Time we can see that the world's population is actually decreasing not increasing. (http://newsfeed.time.com...) Doesn't look like you believe me. Many nations that have high female financial independence look at Europe. Their childbirth rates are actually lower than the death rates! The US has actually reached it's lowest all time as the US birth rates are falling. US birth rates are down 8%, foreign births are down 14%, and Mexican birth rates are down by more than 23%! (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org...) The Population of Earth is falling and we cannot let it die out.

sheridandebate

Pro

Although the bible states those things, it doesn't matter to homosexuals. Not everyone is religious. You may state that I'm not religious, but I am. Shouldn't these people still have the right to get married?
God created all people equally, so everyone should be treated equally. Thou shall love thy neighbor. Love is love no matter what kind.
I'm just saying, these people deserve to love because they are people. I am a person. I have a right to love who i want to love. Shouldn't everyone else have that right? You have that right. Everyone should have that right.
lannan13

Con

Though not everyone is religious, marriage is a religious institution, which has been defined by the church as between 1 man and women. I do believe that people should be treated equally that's why I believe that we should recognize that the LGBT community should be able to use Civil Unions as I've shown and my opponent has dropped that are a better alternate than recognizing Gay Marriage outright. Also, you're still able to love whoever you wish with a Civil Union.

I extend all other arguments.
sheridandebate

Pro

You say that Civil Unions is a better alternative, but I disagree. Merriam-Webster Dictionary states that a Civil Union is a legal relationship between two people of the same sex that gives them SOME of the same rights and responsibilities that married people have.
First off, Civil Unions is limiting the rights and responsibilities of same- sex couples. This isn't an alternative, it's just another way to discriminate against the LGBT community. All Civil Unions is, is these ecclesiastical vestments all dressed up in a way that will make people believe that this is right, but people are smart enough to decode things like this.
Second, Merriam-Webster Dictionary says the rights and responsibilities that married people have. Well, some same-sex couples are married and they have the same rights as an opposite-sex married couple has. Well shouldn't the same-sex couples in states that have the Civil Unions have the same rights as married homosexual couples, because they ARE a married couple.
Third, you stated that Civil Unions is giving you the same rights as a married couple, but according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, you're wrong. Merriam- Webster dictionary says some of the same rights and responsibilities that married people have, but you said that they have the same rights. Not ALL the same rights.
Civil Unions is just another way to limit the rights and freedom of the LGBT community.
lannan13

Con

My opponent spent the majority of her last round attacking equal rights in Civil Unions. Yet she fails to realize that she only viewed the Merrian-Webster source. If she'd view my Lambda legal source and read that argument she'd see that they are getting closer and closer to equal rights. Illinois, Vermont and NJ have all come extremely close to making them completely equal to marriages (http://www.lambdalegal.org...) I would also like to remind my opponent that our lushous President Barrack H. Obama Jr. has pledged in his first term to make these Civil Unions equal to that of a Marriage. (http://www.cnn.com...)
sheridandebate

Pro

sheridandebate forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

All points extended.
Posted by kkshake 1 year ago
kkshake
The opposing argument has the strongest debate. They demonstrated many different aspects and an alternative, rather than just using "feelings." Considering that marriage is a religious rite of passage, civil unions often make more sense. However, the opposing argument doesn't touch on those homosexuals that are religious despite it being viewed as a sin.
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
sheridandebatelannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.