slayer666
Korashk

Gay marriage

Korashk

slayer666

Pro

I couldn't help but notice you're against gay marriage my question is as a libertarian don't u think the government should allow consenting adults to marry regardless of gender and I don't see why 2 people of the same gender getting married would harm anyone
Korashk

Con

My basic argument is that the government has no cause to regulate the personal lives of citizens via a one size fits all contract. Which is what marriage currently is in America. Most of the non-financial benefits that come with marriage can be gained through various forms of contracts that do not require marriage, and the financial benefits that come from marriage are discriminatory on the basis of relationship status.

For instance, there is no reason that a person should be exempt from certain taxes simply because they're married to the deceased, no reason that they should get preferential treatment when being considered for a government job, no reason that they should be entitled to increased amounts of governmental benefits simply because they're married to a governmental worker.

Therefore, it is my position that the current legal concept of "marriage" be abolished in favor of the government simply enforcing private contracts between individuals.
slayer666

Pro

But if we let people write their own private contracts I think there would be to many lupools in the contract written simply cuz the people were being lazy and/or didn't anticipate the consequences of doing so and divorce would become more confusing and much of a bigger problem
Korashk

Con

Nobody said that they'd have to draft their own contracts (although that would be an option, think LegalZoom). The way I envision it is that various law firms specializing in contracts would have a "basic package" as it were. This contract would be what your average "marriage" would entail. Things like power of attorney, executor of wills, things that are included in marriage today minus the financial aspects. The clients would be free to alter this basic version with the help of the lawyers.

As for divorce, I would think that the actions that would nullify the contract would be spelled out in said contract. If they aren't then that's wither their fault or the fault of their law firm. In the latter case the group might have cause for a lawsuit, but in the former they should've been more competent with their legally binding documents. Same with not anticipating the consequences. One should always be fully aware of what they're getting into when entering into a binding agreement.
slayer666

Pro

slayer666 forfeited this round.
Korashk

Con

Well, I guess that's it. Vote and at least give my the spelling and grammar and conduct points.
Posted by Korashk 5 years ago
Korashk
Better get back on before your time limit runs out.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
slayer666KorashkTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, Con had better arguments, and Pro types like he's sending a text message
Vote Placed by LaissezFaire 5 years ago
LaissezFaire
slayer666KorashkTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.