brian_eggleston
I-am-a-panda

Gay men should pay higher car insurance premiums than straight men

brian_eggleston

Pro

Why should gay men pay more for insurance? Because they are the most dangerous drivers on the road, that's why. Like women, they lack spatial awareness which means they are unable to navigate properly, judge speeds and distances accurately or perform manoeuvres such as parallel parking effectively.

http://www.thaindian.com...

Also, like women, they are typically preoccupied with thoughts of things like shopping and flowers which means they do not concentrate their minds on their driving, which leads to accidents.

However, unlike women, who are naturally cautious, gay men are still male and, as such, are risk-takers - that's why so many of them contract AIDS as the result of having exchanged bodily fluids with other homosexuals.

In Saudi Arabia, women are banned from driving and all gays are, well, banned altogether. That's probably going too far, but certainly, the insurance companies should price gay men off the roads for the sake of their profits and also for the safety of all other road users.

I-am-a-panda

Con

I would like to thank Brian for his humorous debate topic, and hope he should keep it up.

To tackle his argument:

==CON:==
>>Why should gay men pay more for insurance? Because they are the most dangerous drivers on the road, that's why. Like women, they lack spatial awareness which means they are unable to navigate properly, judge speeds and distances accurately or perform manoeuvres such as parallel parking effectively.

http://www.thaindian.com......

Also, like women, they are typically preoccupied with thoughts of things like shopping and flowers which means they do not concentrate their minds on their driving, which leads to accidents.<<

==Rebuttal==
CON reasons in this quote that because Male drivers are proven through a test to be better drivers than women, they should have cheaper car insurance than those worse than them.

I.E. Worse driving --> More expensive Insurance.

However, currently this is far from the case. Take this example I have pulled from a car insurance website. Filling out the same details, but only changing the sex on each occasion, I found Women get cheaper quotes then Men.

Quotes: (Male): https://services.hibernian.ie...
(Female): https://services.hibernian.ie...

The difference in cost in this case is less than 1 thousand (€), but it serves a point. My opponent has pulled a single case study, whereas all insurance companies offer cheaper car insurance to females. The reasoning is simple, men tend to be erratic and drive faster, thus causing more accidents. Women drive slower, thus claiming more accidents. Therefore:

Less accidents --> Less claims --> More profit for the company --> Charging the erratic side more

Because you have proven Gay men have similar driving to females, then it should apply to them.
Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

Although your source proves that through spacial awareness and navigation Women, Gays and Lesbians are inferior, I have proven they are also less prone to crashing, which is the foundation of car insurance.

==CON:==
>>However, unlike women, who are naturally cautious, gay men are still male and, as such, are risk-takers - that's why so many of them contract AIDS as the result of having exchanged bodily fluids with other homosexuals.<<

==Rebuttal:==
My opponent has grouped homosexuals in the same driving class as Women, therefore they should have the same car insurance all round.

I also find contracting AIDS through sexual relations does not make them more rist takers then men, who risk having a child every time they have sex.

==CON:==
>>In Saudi Arabia, women are banned from driving and all gays are, well, banned altogether. That's probably going too far, but certainly, the insurance companies should price gay men off the roads for the sake of their profits and also for the safety of all other road users.<<

==Rebuttal:==
The ideals of Saudi Arabia are not the ideals of Britain and ireland. If you rob in Britain or Ireland, you get a prison sentence. You get your hands cut off in Saudi Arabia for such activities.

I have also proven more gay men and female drivers on the roads as opposed to male drivers actually gives the insurance company a profit, therefore insurance companies should, sadly, price men off the roads.

==Conclusion:==

I have proven that Females and Gays are safer drivers overall than Straight males, therefore Straight males should be charged more. However, this is already in effect.

I would also like to ask my opponent the Million Dollar question: Where do Bisexuals fall in this category?
brian_eggleston

Pro

Thanks for taking the debate, Panda - Happy St. Paddy's day! Right then, pleasantries over with, let's get down to business!

My opponent claimed that because gay men share the same traits as women, and women get cheaper car insurance, homosexual gentlemen should get cheaper deals than straight men as well.

I agree with my opponent in so much as gay men share a dangerous lack of driving skills with women, that's undeniably true. To illustrate this, ask yourself this: how many Formula 1 drivers have there ever been that are either women or gay? The answer is: none. Not one, not a single one, ever in the entire history of the sport. Is that because the world governing body of motorsport, The F�d�ration Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) is institutionally sexist and homophobic? No, as part of their sporting code, they do not have a clause that stipulates:

"Racing Licences are issued to any applicant whose conduct and competence is adjudged by the FIA to be satisfactory, provided they are over 18 years of age, a man (not a woman) and not one of those filthy, depraved uphill-gardeners like Freddy Mercury out of Queen, Hollywood's Tom Cruise, or Cristiano Ronaldo - the cheating pretty-boy from Manchester United."

http://www.fia.com...

No, the fact is that straight men are the most skillful drivers and, therefore, the most able to control their vehicle safely in the event of a emergency.

My opponent went on to suggest that while gay men risk AIDS every time they have unprotected, er...shenanigans with another man, straight men risk conceiving a child every time they have sex with a woman without taking proper precautions. The difference is, of course, a straight man can get the fetus aborted but the gay man is stuck with AIDS for the rest of his (drastically curtailed) life. Never mind that though, the point is that all men, gay and straight, are naturally risk takers so any discount that may be offered to women in recognition of their cautious nature should not be (and is not) extended to men of a homosexual persuasion.

With regard to Saudi Arabia, I only mentioned this as an example of a regime that has recognised the shortcomings of women drivers and have legislated accordingly. I wouldn't like to see the same policies introduced here in Europe though, as I often rely on a lift home from the pub from girls (it's scary, but when you are drunk, you don't care so much).

Now to the million dollar question about bi-sexual men. I have thought long and hard about this and concluded that there is no such thing as bi-sexual men. I mean, once a bloke has had his first go on a proper fit bird, why would he consider another man sexually attractive? No, it doesn't make sense. When was the last time you had dinner with a vegetarian who ordered watercress soup for starters but had fillet steak (rare) for the main course? No, "bi-sexual" men might not be as camp as openly gay men, but they are still gay and insurers should charge them extra accordingly.

I-am-a-panda

Con

Thanks for the interesting debate Brian, and happy Paddys day yourself!

>>I agree with my opponent in so much as gay men share a dangerous lack of driving skills with women, that's undeniably true. To illustrate this, ask yourself this: how many Formula 1 drivers have there ever been that are either women or gay? The answer is: none. Not one, not a single one, ever in the entire history of the sport. Is that because the world governing body of motorsport, The F�d�ration Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) is institutionally sexist and homophobic? No, as part of their sporting code, they do not have a clause that stipulates:<<

I feel this works for my argument. I proved in the first round that men temd to be erratic and fast drivers, and since there are only male drivers in Formula 1, I think this re-affirms the point why straight men should be charged higher insurance premiums.

>>No, the fact is that straight men are the most skillful drivers and, therefore, the most able to control their vehicle safely in the event of a emergency.<<

However, men are more likely to put themselves in such a situation. Homosexuals may have their minds on flowers and puppies, these are calming thoughts. Straight men however, have their thoughts on the footy match their missing out on, and their woman, which makes them speed uncontrollably home.

>>My opponent went on to suggest that while gay men risk AIDS every time they have unprotected, er...shenanigans with another man, straight men risk conceiving a child every time they have sex with a woman without taking proper precautions. The difference is, of course, a straight man can get the fetus aborted but the gay man is stuck with AIDS for the rest of his (drastically curtailed) life. Never mind that though, the point is that all men, gay and straight, are naturally risk takers so any discount that may be offered to women in recognition of their cautious nature should not be (and is not) extended to men of a homosexual persuasion.<<

My opponent has forgotten straight men can catch STD's through the aforementioned shenanigans, as well as children, and, even AIDS. AIDs can happen on the highway, not just up the slip roads (metaphorically speaking!). Even if men are taking the highway, slippery conditions can make them veer onto the slip roads unexpectedly, increasing the chance of AIDS.

>>Now to the million dollar question about bi-sexual men. I have thought long and hard about this and concluded that there is no such thing as bi-sexual men. I mean, once a bloke has had his first go on a proper fit bird, why would he consider another man sexually attractive? No, it doesn't make sense. When was the last time you had dinner with a vegetarian who ordered watercress soup for starters but had fillet steak (rare) for the main course? No, "bi-sexual" men might not be as camp as openly gay men, but they are still gay and insurers should charge them extra accordingly.<<

Comparing eating a meal to sexual preference is, well, inaccurate. People eat both salad and meat. In the world of food, the majority of people would be bisexual. However, this is untrue in sexual preference.

Given that, there are multiple reasons why a man might want to go for another man after having a go at a fit bird:

1) The bird was useless in bed.
2) One too many pints.
3) The bird in question was your ex and your getting back at her by going after her brother/ father.

However, the truth is that bi-sexuals exist: http://www.bisexual.org...

I would again like to thank Brian for this joyful debate.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Haha, Brian, classical. 10/10, I bow my hat to you good sir!
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
@girlforgod...quite right...there's far too many people that take a sexist attitude towards women drivers. I mean, just look at this animation...

...whilst the reality is quite different...
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Let me play the fool, with mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Still, many a true word said in jest, eh?!
Posted by JP 8 years ago
JP
this is pretty funny.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Everyone does realise this is a joke debate?
Posted by mattvauxhall 8 years ago
mattvauxhall
While the humour here may be a little suspect...not sure gay men cant drive well because theyre thinking about flowers???? But maybe they also drive slower, less proned to show off to girls by boy racing so cause even less accidents.. BUT on a bigger scale forget insurance lets talk tax...gay men dont have kids, or get pregnant hence the 2 biggest state expenses Education and Health are paid for by gay men but used less...how about a rebate?
Posted by girlforgod21 8 years ago
girlforgod21
"Like women, they lack spatial awareness which means they are unable to navigate properly, judge speeds and distances accurately or perform manoeuvres such as parallel parking effectively." I resent that. I am a very good driver, and just because I am a woman does not mean that I cannot do things just as well, if not better, than any man. Gay men should not have to pay higher car insurance premiums than straight men - that is discriminatory. *Note: I do not agree that being a homosexual is okay, but since there are homosexuals out there, I will not discriminate against them.
Posted by Alex 8 years ago
Alex
Nukethejuice its based on averages not just individuals. sheesh
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
NuketheJuice just nuked the humour juice.
Vote Placed by kristoffersayshi 7 years ago
kristoffersayshi
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by The_Booner 8 years ago
The_Booner
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 8 years ago
studentathletechristian8
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Zeratul 8 years ago
Zeratul
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by JP 8 years ago
JP
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by girlforgod21 8 years ago
girlforgod21
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Slurve 8 years ago
Slurve
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by taylorbot 8 years ago
taylorbot
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by chip 8 years ago
chip
brian_egglestonI-am-a-pandaTied