Artpop
abyssal7130

Gay peaople should get married.

abyssal7130

Artpop

Pro

First round is acceptance and arguments.
You can start posting them right away.

I will be taking the PRO position in this debate, for which I stand for gay people.
Let the fun begin.
abyssal7130

Con

I accept this challenge.
As my opponent has not seen it fit to define the proposition of "Gay peaople should get married', I will assume it to mean that 'Gay people should be able to get married'.
I will define 'gay people' as two individuals of the same gender that are sexually attracted to one another and marriage as the acquisition of a legal marriage contract.
If my opponent has any qualms with my terms, I beseech him/her to bring them up in the upcoming round, otherwise I will assume that the terms I have laid out here are the ones that my opponent had in mind when creating this challenge and are acceptable.
Artpop

Pro

Artpop forfeited this round.
abyssal7130

Con

I thank my opponent for her most invigorating arguments. The primary arguments that I will focus on during this round shall be as follows:
  • Same-sex marriage denies children a parent of a particular gender, and
  • the legalization of same-sex marriage can lead to various other legal issues such as polygamy and bestiality
My first argument is as follows: same-sex marriage denies children a parent of a particular gender, which can be detrimental to their development and/or well being. For example, the lack of a father figure greatly increases the chances of early sexual activity and teenage pregnancy among females (1). Children with single parents also have greater chances of developing cognitive, social, and emotional problems (2). Do we really want to let our children suffer for political decisions made today? If same-sex marriage is legalized, within a few generations society will fall into a state of chaos.
  1. Bruce J. Ellis, "Does Father Absence Place Daughters at Special Risk for Early Sexual Activity and Teenage Pregnancy?", Child Development, May 2003
  2. Paul R. Amato, "Marriage and Child Wellbeing", The Future of Children, 2005
I continue my case with my second argument that same-sex marriage can lead down a slippery slope to other issues such as polygamy, polyandry, incest, and bestiality. Proponents of these sorts of relationships will use the successes of same-sex marriage (if same-sex marriage is allowed) to advocate their own position. After all, if two adults of the same gender are allowed to marry, who is to prevent three or four or five from doing the same (1)? It was not so long ago that the state of Utah was forced to abolish polygamy in order for its admittance to the Union. Is it now poised to amend its Constitution to revive this practice that is still much more prevalent than many believe (2)? It is only a matter of time after same-sex marriage is legalized that the legalization of the aforementioned issues will follow.
  1. Jillian Keenan, "Legalize Polygamy!," Slate.com, Apr. 15, 2013
  2. "Do We Really Want to Redefine Marriage," www.floppingaces.net, Aug. 11, 2010
Same-sex marriage does not only hurt our society, but hurts our society as a whole, and should not be legalized. I thank my opponent for this opportunity to debate, and look forward to her arguments in the next round.
Artpop

Pro

Artpop forfeited this round.
abyssal7130

Con

As pro has not even deigned to post her arguments in any of the three rounds, I do believe this debate goes to me. Vote con!
Vote Placed by Sargon 3 years ago
Sargon
Artpopabyssal7130Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro failed to even try to establish the resolution. Arguments Con.