lord_pineapples
Topher1989

Gay rights & recent news on rights for all people

lord_pineapples

Pro

Should Gay people have marriage rights and civil rights?
should gays be blamed for topics that don't involve them?
Should religious beliefs control society?
Topher1989

Con

I made a mistake and accidentally chose to debate you. I am pro gay rights and such. I'm new at this debate.org thing. Anyway, I'll take my best stab at trying to defend the opposing view.

The definition of marriage is the legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman.

Based on this definition, rights to marriage should not be given to gays.

And if any rights were to be given to these individuals, a poll or vote should be erected.

If the majority rules, as in the case in California for prop 8, then rights to gays to marry are to be revoked.

From a utilitarian perspective, our laws and votes are to benefit and bring happiness to the most individuals possible.

Our happiness is dependent on our right to vote and sleep soundly at night knowing gays are not getting marriage. Cough.. cough... Total bullSheez.... I guess I can't use profanity... That's lame.

Anyway, should gays be blamed for topics that don't involved them? I don't understand this question. Final answer, No.

Should religious belief control society? I would answer yes and no to your question.

Depending on the religious belief, it could lead to greater happiness in our societies or suffering. I think christians may have a gem buried in the bullsheez. I think christianity has produced an ethical foundation for society. The gem I am referring to is the golden rule. You should treat others how you would want to be treated. I think another good example of this is meditation. Meditation has psychological benefits. We know this through science. However, it came from a religion.

There are beliefs that should not control or influence our society. I think the islamic faith provides a good example. They believe that they will acquire virgins in paradise if they commit a suicide bombing against infidels. These kinds of beliefs have to be annihilated.
lord_pineapples

Pro

lord_pineapples forfeited this round.
Topher1989

Con

Topher1989 forfeited this round.
lord_pineapples

Pro

lord_pineapples forfeited this round.
Topher1989

Con

Topher1989 forfeited this round.
lord_pineapples

Pro

lord_pineapples forfeited this round.
Topher1989

Con

Topher1989 forfeited this round.
lord_pineapples

Pro

lord_pineapples forfeited this round.
Topher1989

Con

Topher1989 forfeited this round.