Gay rights.

I for one am a huge supporter of GLBT I feel that they should have rights just like a straight man or straight woman. I don't think they should fight for their rights people who think they should are closed minded and ignorant. Also many people say its a sin. I'm catholic and I see no sinning at all. In my mind there is a god I don't wish to back away from I find if being gay is truly a sin...then why would god make a gay person. There are many things gays can't do but the worst of all is not able to get married in some states in the USA. What is so treating about gays not being able to get married? Is it because they can't have kids so then the human population will go down? How about adoption they could always adopt kids and give them a loving home. Is it because 2 woman can't raise a child or 2 men can't raise a child? No it's because people think the child will be confused about if they are GSB (gay,straight,bisexual).

I have accepted this debate as the Con. Even though I believe in equal right's for Gay men and women I will try to argue from the stand point of those who are completely opposed to Gay right's. The Pro has been a bit ambiguous with her premise for ths argument. So I will assume that what the opponent is trying to argue is that. I would like to point out to the voter's that this is my first time argueing a viewpoint that is not my own, so don't chastise me because you think I'm a bigot.

1/Homosexual couple's should have the same right's as heterosexual couple's.
2/Homosexual couple should have the right to adopt children.
3/Christianity does not view homosexuality as a sin.

Before I begin, I would like to wish the Pro good luck, and hopefully we will have an interesting debate over what can be a very controversial, taboo of a subject. If my opponent wishes to expand on her argument, maybe covering a point I missed out on, I will gladly address that in round two of this debate.

1/ Homosexual couple's should have the same right's as Heterosexual couple's.

Ask nearly anyone, and they will tell you that they are in support of gay right's and equal opportunities for homosexual's in government office, job's, equal government protection, housing and access to government benefit's, but when the issue of gay marriage arise's, the majority of those who were in favour of gay right's, are opposed to it. Statistic's show that around 70% of people are in support of equal rights for homosexual's, yet around the same portion are against Gay marriage. That is when the talk of equality stop's dead in it's track's.

General stereotype's have a lot to answer for here. The stereotype has it that gays are promiscuous, unable to form lasting relationships, and the relationships that do form are shallow and uncommitted. But the important fact to note is that just like in straight society, where such relationships also exist, they are a small minority, and exist primarily among the very young. Indeed, one of the most frequent complaints of older gay men is that it is almost impossible to find quality single men to get into a relationship with, because they're already all 'taken!' Many of the reasons offered for opposing gay marriage are based on the assumption that gays have a choice in who they can feel attracted to, and the reality is quite different. Many people actually believe that gays could simply choose to be heterosexual if they wished. But the reality is that very few do have a choice -- any more than very few heterosexuals could choose which sex to find themselves attracted to.

Marriage is an institution between one man and one woman. It is, in my view, a religious joining of two soul'
s who wish to live the rest of their live's together under God. I find it hard to understand why a homosexual couple would want to be married under the church, considering that Christianity is doctrinally opposed to gay people. I will address the religious issue's on homosexuality in my third argument. If gay people really want to get married, all they have to do is to become straight and marry someone of the opposite sex.

Another argument against's gay marriage, is that ultimately, marriage is for pro-creation, where I loving father and mother can bring up their children in the best possible way, so that they will grow up to be strong, independant individual's. If you remove the mother/father role from a child's development, there could be certain ramification's because of them growing up in an abnormal environment. Studies have shown that a lack of a true father or mother figure are as follow's.

"The possible detrimental effects of father absence on his children include drug involvement, increased delinquency, and gang activity, which in turn pose problems for society. Studies have shown disruptions in family structure, such as father absence, may increase the chances the child will begin using drugs and alcohol (Albrecht & Amey, pp. 283-289; Gil, Vega, & Biafora, pp. 373-393;)"

"A study of women living in Islington has confirmed earlier findings that the loss of a mother before the age of 17 (by death or separation) is associated with an increase in clinical depression in adulthood. Lack of adequate parental care following the loss accounted for the increase in disorder and there was some evidence that it acted as a ‘vulnerability factor' increasing risk of onset of depression during a 1-year follow-up period, in the presence of a severe life event or major difficulty. Premarital pregnancy, marital separation/divorce and negative evaluation of self were identified as factors intervening between childhood lack of care and adult depression."

Another argument against homosexual marriage is that, Marriages are for ensuring the continuation of the species. We all know as animal's, our species number one concern is the continuation of the species. We also know that homosexual couple's cannot pro-create, therefore it is not beneficial for us as a species to allow homosexual marriage. By then having a child in this environment, there is a high chance that it too will also turn out homosexual, as we all can agree that we are all heavily influenced by our parent's. This could lead to a large increase in homosexuality, which could prove a problem for human's as a whole. Yes I know this one sound's a bit out there but, it's a possibility.

Another argument against homosexual mariage is that same-sex marriage would start us down a "slippery slope" towards legalized incest, bestial marriage, polygamy and all manner of other horrible consequences. We know that once you give one concession you must make another, if you are vested in equal right' for all. Where do you draw the line? Wouldn't the same argument for Gay marriage be applicable to polygamy and bestial marriage? I know I would have alway's loved a Chimpanzee for father. I will pretend to be serious on this point.

An argument against homosexual marriage, is that marriage is a religious thing, and if legalized, churches will be forced to grant marriage's against their will. And since most religion's are opposed to homosexuality, this would be infringing on that religion's view's and ideal's dictated by their God/God's.

Homosexuality is unnatural. By legalizing gay marriage, you are advocating that homosexuality is something normal and natural, yet, as we have already discussed, it is hard to believe that it s natural when the ultimate goal is to pro-create and insure the continuation of the species.

2/Homosexual couple's should be allowed to adopt children.

I believe that homosexual couple's should not be allowed to adopt children, because ultimately it is not in the best interest's of the children. The reason why I believe this is that it will put an enormous amount of stress on the child as it grow's up. Whether it be from other children, adult's or from their own thought's on the situation. I also believe that without a stable mother and father figure, a child will exibit abnormal behavior's as it grow's up and will ultimately affect who they are as an adult. As studies have shown in heterosexual relationship's where the mother or father is absent, we find that children are more likely to start drinking at a younger age, take drug's and show increased ani-social behavior.

Cont.Rnd 2

First I would like to bring up from Con that the child may have abnormal behavior. Which I far from agree on one of the sources I have found has talked about a life which not father and it does not affect the child. But the child would mostly grow up to be a lesbian is raised by two mothers.

Also I would like to bring up gay adoption to the voters if I must. They never told us how me benefit from this. Did you know that 33% of kids are living in a female same sex family and 22% in male same sex family. That is how we benefit from it. It gives kids a place to be and foster kids a place to stay. But also as I brought up above about how the child could be gay there is no fact that the child will really be born gay.

now I would like to bring up regilon. I was reading one artical i hope you all read it was quite nice. The over all story was about a gay woman finding god. She delt with pain and pressure through her life. I think it shows that god did make gays.

Thank's to my opponent for presenting her rebuttal. However, I do not think that you addressed my argument's from round one. Also it would be beneficial, if you were to post, in your own word's, rather than give me an article to read.

***Since there was a bit of confusion with one of the viewer's let me reiterate the point that I am playing the devil's advocate, I actually disagree with my stand point, except for when I argue that being Gay is a sin in the eye's of the Church. I will first address my opponent's argument's and then finish with finishing what I started in Round one.***

Counter: Round 2

"First I would like to bring up from Con that the child may have abnormal behavior. Which I far from agree on one of the sources I have found has talked about a life which not father and it does not affect the child. But the child would mostly grow up to be a lesbian is raised by two mothers."

It all depend's on whether a child being more prone to exibiting homosexual activity is a good thing The article did state that they will be less likely to conform to gender norm's which I believe can be a large problem. Especially when a child is growing up, if they don't conform to social norm's they are prone to bullying which can lead to or problem's later in life, especially when the child find's that what is acceptable to their parent's may not be acceptable with other's. Not to mention the ridicule the child will experience for having gay parent's. We all know what I am talking about, children can be cruel.

In the article I will concede that a child that is more empathetic toward's social diversity, would be an improvement.

"Also I would like to bring up gay adoption to the voters if I must. They never told us how me benefit from this. Did you know that 33% of kids are living in a female same sex family and 22% in male same sex family. That is how we benefit from it. It gives kids a place to be and foster kids a place to stay. But also as I brought up above about how the child could be gay there is no fact that the child will really be born gay."

I will have to correct my opponent on her statistic's. The way you have worded this, is that 55% of children have same sex parent's. What the Pro mean't to say was that 33% of Lesbian couple's have atleast one child living at home under the age of 18, while homosexual male couple's have 22%. I would like what the pro was implying with these statistic's? You did state that gay couple's provide a home fo orphaned and adopted children, but that is the same for heterosexual couple's aswel, the statistic's do not prove anything other than everyone can adopt and provide a home for the needy.

Children learn by adopting the mannerism's of their mother and father, this is how they learn social norm's, expression's and how interact with other people. Surely, if the parent's are homosexual there is greater chance the child will also be gay, in comparison to a child growing up with a heterosexual mother and father. To say otherwise make's very little sense. Your story in your next point, actually confirm's that.

I read the story posted in the third paragraph, however, I find that this is a result of the church beginning to bend backward's to take a more liberal stance on what we all see as common human right's. We need to look at the original text (the bible) and some of the church's teaching's that they have enforced until lately. For centuries, the church has preached that homosexuality is a sin, some people within the church still harper on about it.

Cont. Round 1

3/The church and homosexuality:

Homosexuality and the church are incompatable, that is the bottom line. I know we don't want to see the church as bigotted, just like we don't want to admit that a large minority of priest's have a fondness for young boy's. We can clearly see, in the bible it say's:

Gen 19:5-8 "and they called to Lot and said to him, 'Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them.' But Lot went out to them at the doorway, and shut the door behind him, and said, 'Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly.'

Jude 7 "Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example, in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire."

Lev 18:22-23 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death."

Cor 6:9 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals"

1 Tim 1:9-10 "realizing the fact that (civil) law is not made for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers"

Rom 1:26-27 "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error."

I am pretty sure that this sum's up the bible's view on homosexuality, and that anyone who tries to reconcile themselve's with this bronze age filth is doing themselve's a disservice. I am not religious in any way, and why a Homosexual would want to reconcile themselve's with a religion, or God that clearly does not respect them, is beyond me.

I do believe that the church in recent year's has done a U-turn in term's of it's view's on Witchcraft, homosexuality, adultery, divorce and blasphemy. But these people I have the least respect for. If you try to alter your religion to fit in with modern time's while ignoring the ugly, disgusting root's, well that doesn't exactly make you a great person in my eye's. More conceited and obnoxious than compassionate and liberal.

I look forward to the opponent's rebuttal in round three. Here are my citation's

missyxox1996 forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited the last round. Please take into consideration that I was playing devil's advocate in this debate. Thankyou for the debate anyway. Was interesting.
Posted by paintmstr2 1 year ago
Just a quick comment for the Instigator. The population would still go down, babies don't come from nowhere.
Posted by SELI-chan 2 years ago
Please correct your grammar. This would've been a good debate if it weren't for your "you're" and "your" getting mixed up and terrible usage of apostrophes (both sides). Also, words should never be capitalized unless they're the beginning of the sentence or a proper noun. Many of the capitalized words were neither.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
LOL @ Pro's last argument in Round 2. Personal experience =/= Evidence.
Posted by vivalayeo 6 years ago
I did mention at the start that I agree with Gay rights and marriage, but I thought it would be fun to argue a point different than my own
Posted by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
Oh, you're devils advocate? I though you actually believed in this sh!t, never mind.
Posted by vivalayeo 6 years ago
I hope you read the 'I will pretend to be serious on this point' before you posted that. Also I didn't cite the sources at the end because technically I didnt finish, Ill cite all source's next round when I finish my opening argument
Posted by vivalayeo 6 years ago
Dude I had to put something mate :( I don't exactly agree with what I am arguing for, so I find it hard to make point's lol
Posted by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
Furthermore, Copn didn't cite any sources, but the debate will prolly go to him because he has a better grasp on how to argue.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
"Another argument against homosexual mariage is that same-sex marriage would start us down a "slippery slope" towards legalized incest, bestial marriage, polygamy and all manner of other horrible consequences." - FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL. I expected better from you Vivalayeo.
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
Welcome to DDO!

I am inferring that you meant to say that gays should have a federal right to get married? Beyond that, gays enjoy the same rights as everyone else. There are already a few states that even recognize gay marriage.

Your Biblical argument is full of holes as well. Suggest you revise and consider adding some sources.
Vote Placed by vivalayeo 6 years ago