spankme
Jackdaw

Gen X

spankme

Pro

Hello, I am a Gen X'er so allow me to put my tissues aside. You see I am horribly depressed because I didn't turn out like the Baby Boomers. (Yes, sometimes we are lumped under that category as well. Rather ironic the times in which that happens.) Yes, I am depressed because I am not someone tripping balls and protesting against war in general (whom most of my parent's generation live vicariously through when they think of their youth). You see, all the world was pro-war before they came along. The draft of the Vietnam War had nothing to do with them getting all upset. The fact that there was narry a mouse-hiccup about any other war afterwards from them, that they could not be drafted for, proves this point I'm sure.
I am also ashamed that my generation was the first to deal with divorce going from rarely to common-place, and damn those whiny kids for getting bummed out. I am also disgraced that we were put down for dressing provocatively and listening to music our parent's didn't like, etc, Mostly I am upset that I was not a member of the first generation who was dying to be just like their parents. Especially since they were kind enough to bring the drug war (people too old to do drugs saying young people can't do them - irony? nah).
My grandparent's generation will be remembered as the ones who went through The Depression, Prohibition, and WWII and came out squeaky clean on the other end. Great work ethic, strong morals, family values. And gave birth to a generation who flipped them off and all their ideals. Will they be remembered the way they see themselves?
As a Gen X'er I am not really too concerned how my generation is remembered. I think we were just normal kids, trying to get along and have fun. We didn't need to jump on a bandwagon to justify having fun and being free. And I think we have a lot more respect for our kids than can be said for the Baby Boomers.
"whatever" lol
Jackdaw

Con

Hey man, don't get yourself down. We always have the power to shape our lives how we want. It's OK to disagree with your parents' morals. Look deep inside yourself and envision the type of person you want to be. Just because we are Gen Xers doesn't mean we can only have a good time by getting drunk in a club with blaring hip-hop and smoking weed. Be the change you want to see. Today is a new day, and the past means nothing as long as you keep looking forward. Life is discovery, and it is never too late to decide on a career. We are going to live longer than our parents. 25 is the new 15, right? We have plenty of time to make up our minds. You don't have to go to college, you don't have to suffer the burden of stress put on you by the previous generation to "carry the torch." What the future will bring is way different than what they are predicting anyway. If you pursue the things in life that are fulfilling to you personally, I guarantee you will be the person that your kids will look up to. Be a good person, stay entrenched in your principles and don't allow anyone to make you believe that you are a failure.
spankme

Pro

Not really depressed about it ya know, just being a smart-eleck (can't spell that lol)
Jackdaw

Con

ok thanks for the troll. I feel great now
spankme

Pro

Sorry man, I wasn't being a troll. Being whiny and depressed is one of the fine qualities attributed to this generation, and I was sarcastically throwing it in there with everything else. Sometimes my sense of humor is a little off. But I was still trying to make a point, maybe bait a Baby Boomer into saying ha you all suck.
Jackdaw

Con

Jackdaw forfeited this round.