acolevfx
AIyssa

Gender Roles in society

AIyssa

acolevfx

Pro

With the rise of the feminism in society, I believe that the masculine identity tends to get lost. While many people are against gender roles, I find that they are not only beneficial, but necessary to fulfill. I am talking strictly about genders in society and not about whether someone has a penis or vagina. Someone with a vagina could fit the male gender and vice versa. So when I say "he" or "him" understand that I am just talking about the a person of the male gender.

The family unit is the basis for why I think gender roles are important. Men and women have many differences, even biologically. The goal should not be to ignore these differences but to accept them and live in harmony. Neither gender is better than the other, but they are not the same and we as a society should take that into consideration.
AIyssa

Con

You mean someone of the male gender role right? Because male gender literally means actual males.
So you're saying that anyone can fill either gender roles, but that the gender roles being there in the first place is good.

I say that it is bad. Plus, gender roles started as a male-female thing, and it literally is a male-female thing. Gender roles unnecessarily pressure people into living a life which contradicts their desires. I'm not saying that people should just go out and do horrible things as they desire, i'm saying that what people desire within some moral or legal frame should be taken into consideration.
The pressure put onto people to play gender roles, to not live against the ideology, is the same as the pressure put onto gay people to play a set sexual identity. There is no logical reason to support it other than bigotry, hatred, or bias.

Ok, sure, the family unit might work well in some cases. It might even be what some people want, but gender roles is not what many people desire to play. People want to be free to carve out their lives the way they want to, and not the way others want them to. I want to be free to decide my life path and my career. I want to be free to decide my own lifestyle, and I deserve to not be pressured into some restricted lifestyle. Gender roles impose that restriction, and it is wrong.

Gender roles promote unfairness. People are not uniform in thought and behavior, but gender roles are. Gender roles simply don't fit everybody, and at some point will push against fair treatment. A wife's husband goes out to work, and the wife wants to work too. The husband doesn't let her, saying that he'll 'pull the weight'. So the wife is forced to stay home and only manage things at home instead of doing it together with her hubby. Later, as they grow older, the man pulls the 'I do all the work' card when he complains and argues with his wife. He was the one who didn't let her go to work. Her family is the one that taught her: "Hey, what you want doesn't matter. What matters is that you need to act a housewife, and that should be what you should be learning." The wife can only pull the 'I do house labor' card, but house labor is economically cheap, and so the husband may feel like the wife is just complaining and press the abuse with his self-inflicted 'superiority'.

That's my family. I have first-hand experience on how gender roles are socially disastrous. It puts people into unequal positions of power and promotes a harmful inequality.
acolevfx

Pro

acolevfx forfeited this round.
AIyssa

Con

AIyssa forfeited this round.
acolevfx

Pro

acolevfx forfeited this round.
AIyssa

Con

Sorry about all the forfeits that happened, but thanks for reading!!
Posted by AIyssa 2 years ago
AIyssa
I'll be posting tomorrow when I have time, i need to sleep. Please stay for the debate. thanks!
Posted by rikomalpense 2 years ago
rikomalpense
I'd take Con, but I'm rather busy and I feel as though I shouldn't take debates I feel strongly about in case I end up too invested and unable to give an objective argument. Best of luck to whoever takes Con, though. Debate well.
Posted by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
I agree with your stance, Pro. Argue strongly :)
Vote Placed by bsh1 2 years ago
bsh1
acolevfxAIyssaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided the most thorough set of arguments--Con illustrated that gender roles could generate unfairness in society. Con also forfeited for fewer rounds, and thus wins the conduct point.