MasterDebater2
boogyman105

Gender (the concept) and its relevance in politics

MasterDebater2

MasterDebater2

Con

Over the past two years or so I have had the pleasure of befriending a trans gendered person. With this person, I have had many less than friendly debates over the concept of gender and its role in politics. Gender, as explained to me, is one's subjective self-identification in relation to societies constructs of the roles of sexes. As in a man doing what is typically masculine or a woman doing what is typically feminine as defined by society (i.e. "What does it mean to be masculine or feminine"). I have no beef with the concept of gender as a whole, the notion of identifying oneself in relation to societies' standards seems ultimately useless but harmless, that is until applied to politics.

Now the problem with the concept of gender is that people are starting movements that push rights for these subjective genders, such as constructing third bathrooms for people who do not adhere to the binary majority, a "third gender" bathroom, if you will.

What I want to know is why should we incur massive costs as a society tailoring to people whose only difference is a SUBJECTIVE self-identification relative to society.
boogyman105

Pro

Well thank you for the opportunity to do this debate i believe this issue needs to be addressed and i defiantly will do my best to argue for transgender rights. Since my opponent did not set rules and or a format i will do my best. This will be introduction round, next round will be argument and points, 3 will be rebuttal and 4 will be closing statements with no new evidence. Unless my opponent disagrees.

I believe that the state and federal government should incur the costs of the transgender.
Transgender people are brutalized and victimized for their wanting to be different. In the declaration of independence it states each person has the right to life, liberty and happiness. The state already spends foolishly we are in debt. Why not spend extra money to support Americans who are different. We semi legalized gay marriage costing the gov. plenty of money. I believe that doing this will also help from humiliation they face. So next round i will go into further details about my case thank you for listening.
MasterDebater2

Con

Sorry about not posting guidelines, I’m still very new to the site and I agree with those guidelines you set.

Yes, I do feel bad for transgendered people, I really do. The problem we face is “do they get exclusive rights?” I take issue with this. Take, for example, one of the bigger issues with transgendered people, their ability to go into the bathroom with the gender they identify with not the sex they were born into. There has been a recent political law (1) signed in Philadelphia providing gender-neutral bathrooms for transgendered people with which I find unethical. It forces the people of Philadelphia to front the cost of providing these public bathrooms so an extremely small minority will not feel discriminated against (Less than 4700 transgendered people in a city of 1.55 million using the national average ratio of .003%) (2). Keep in mind that transgendered peoples’ only difference is a subjective self-identification as in it’s not provable, sex is empirical, gender is not. There are no studies that are 100% certain on why transgendered people are different only hypothesis and yet were are making laws for them as if it’s a concrete ideal. Why do people with a mental abnormality classified as “gender dysphoria” (3) get their own facilities? Why must we fund rights for people based on subjectivity and ambiguity?

(1):(http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com...)

(2):(http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu...)

(3):(http://www.google.com...)

boogyman105

Pro

boogyman105 forfeited this round.
MasterDebater2

Con

My arguments stand
boogyman105

Pro

boogyman105 forfeited this round.
MasterDebater2

Con

Argument thread
boogyman105

Pro

boogyman105 forfeited this round.
Posted by MasterDebater2 3 years ago
MasterDebater2
Sorry I did not post a guideline to this debate. I am very new to this site and figuring out how it works. I will post my response after my classes today.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
MasterDebater2boogyman105Tied