TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Bob13

Gendered Language Should be Replaced with Gender Neutral Terms.

TheJuniorVarsityNovice has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Pro

Thesis

I'll argue that gendered language is harmful and promotes sexist attitudes. Con just has to disprove my arguments....Some common gendered words you may be familiar with are terms like "chairman", "police man", "mankind", and "you guys".

Please express interest in the comments Also, everyone should know that accepting this debate doesn't mean I, or the judges, will label you a sexist or anything.

Definitions:

gendered language: reflecting the experience, prejudices, or orientations of one sex more than the other; also : reflecting or involving gender differences or stereotypical gender roles.

should: used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions.

Rules:

-UPON ACCEPTANCE OF THIS DEBATE YOU CONSENT TO PARTICIPATION IN THE NEWLY ESTABLISHED HIGHER VOTING STANDARDS, FOUND HERE:

https://docs.google.com......

-Kritiks are allowed
-Don't forfeit.
-Sources cannot be in comments unless a link is broken
-BoP will be split

The rounds will be as follows;
R1: Round rules n stuff, opponent accepts rules
R2: Pro makes opening args/ con counter-argues
R3: Both sides rebutt
R4: Both sides explain why they win, but can't add any brand new arguments or evidence
Bob13

Con

Posted by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 5 months ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
I didn't forfeit, the site went down
Posted by ConserativeDemocrat 5 months ago
ConserativeDemocrat
This always happens. Whenever you forfeit, the debate ends.
Posted by Bob13 5 months ago
Bob13
I'm not sure. I haven't seen this glitch before.
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
is our debate going to reset?
Posted by Bob13 5 months ago
Bob13
Airmax is probably going to get this fixed soon.
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
This is Bull carp, the site went down so I couldn't post my argument
ConserativeDemocrat
If you live in the first world, you haven't experienced sexism.

Wait, I take it back. I have. In one of my classes, we were working on creating a mock company. We had to pick someone to be the CEO. This is a male dominated class, and every guy puts his hand up because they want to be CEO. You know what our teacher says? "Only girls can be CEO for this company."

This is what the future holds. Instead of the world being biased against women, it will be biased against men.
Posted by foxxhajti 5 months ago
foxxhajti
I'm not a native English speaker, and that isn't particularly a phrase we use in my language. I've been told that only once while I was playing a video game, it hasn't affected me, I just ignored it. Words are only meaningful if you actually care about them. There are mean words catered towards everyone, are we going to ban every mean phrase someone says? I have experienced sexism a few times, but it's absolutely rare and I refuse to hold onto a few bad experiences I've had with a few mean people I've encountered.
Posted by MWonderWolf 5 months ago
MWonderWolf
Everything with the past few comments:
1: He did not call you immature, and, yet again, you can never be sure of age on here.
2: No, it does not offend me to be called a girl. I take it as a compliment. In fact, there is a way for the human race to survive without boys.
3: And no, I've never experienced sexism.
4: Nobody would say "you humans" or "you people". You can't change what someone says with habit. It simply cannot be done, and therefore the resolution is pointless.
Posted by MWonderWolf 5 months ago
MWonderWolf
It would just be wrong to say, "you people," or "you other humans," or something like that. I'm laughing now just thinking of it! ::--))