rebrinkman
lsaultman

Gene Therapy

rebrinkman

Pro

Gene therapy is a method of therapy that can get rid of diseases, whether it is a genetic disease or not, it can be taken care if with gene therapy. Majority of the time, gene therapy is used as a last resort for a lot of things but it takes much time. Gene therapy is when doctors inject a normal/non mutated gene and inject it into a virus, the doctors then implant it into you. The purpose of putting it into a virus is because the virus is supposed to carry the gene to the malfunctioning gene(s) and "swap" them. The virus destroys the gene(s) and then exits the body. I believe in gene therapy because it could be a chance for someone with an illness or even a syndrome to be able to live a normal life without medications or having to go to the doctors office every week. Most people would kill for a chance for this opportunity, I should know because I'm one of the people with a genetic disease. My disease is called Crohn's disease. This disease really messes with your digestive system. And the treatments are either poisonous IV's or feeding tubes where you aren't allowed to eat ANYTHING. I would do almost ANYTHING to have the chance to live a normal life. I understand that it's risky and there's no guarantee that it will work, but I'd rather die knowing that I tried to live a happy normal life then die living in misery.
lsaultman

Con

Jesse Gelsinger died in 1999 at age 18 because of Gene Therapy. Jolee Mohr died in 2007 at age 36 because of Gene Therapy. In Gene Therapy so many things could go wrong even though its supposed to heal you. Viruses are injected into your body and are supposed to go to the problem. but what if it goes wrong? what if it the virus doesn"t replace the problem, what if it attacks healthy cells and kills you or makes your situation even worse than it already is?
My opponent is going to tell you why Gene Therapy should be allowed. Yes, if gene therapy or gene transfer works it could save lives and fix any physical problems. Its just very risky to have a experimental operation done with a virus. I strongly believe Gene Therapy should be illegal to have done in the US or anywhere in the world.
rebrinkman

Pro

I think that people who are the patient or a guardian of the patient should do some research. The doctor will tell you some of the basics including the risks of the injection. If people are so worried about what is going to happen, then look it up! Get the facts you need to make your decision. The doctor's opinion is just a recommendation, you don't HAVE to get the injection, they just recommend it to you. It's not the doctors fault if it doesn't work, you should've known the risks and if it was likely to work or not. You can also ask the doctor questions about it instead of just jumping into it. It can help you, it may not, but it's not the doctors responsibility to give you every detail, you need to ask. Almost 70% of the time gene therapy works according to http://www.uvm.edu... The benefits of searching the topic is that you get a whole bunch of information that could help you make your decision and decide what would be best for you. It could be a whole new life for you but as you know, not everything was an 100% chance of working. You can definitely learn more and all that you learn is more beneficial to you and you can ask more in depth questions.
lsaultman

Con

Gene Therapy affects human health and the economic world. It affects the human health because it can fail in replacing the gene that needs to be replaced. During Gene Therapy they put a virus in someone and hopefully it will go to where it needs to and not back fire. But in some cases the virus can mutate in the human into something even worse that it started out as. If a germ gene was put into a person then it would affect ther genes and that persons blood line forever. It could make someones family line develope different problems. Why do you think it is okay to do that?
It affects the world(or economics) because it is only offered to the more wealthier people. If a person is in poverty or close to it but they need gene therapy done, then they cant pay for it. Its a rich solution, not made for the poor to get help.

By using gene therapy you could be at risk of getting leukaemia. Do you want people to risk their lives and possibly spend MORE money on chemotherapy?
And after getting gene therapy -for the people who survived- could get the idea in their head about designer babies. Because Gene Therapy and making Designer Babies is basically the same thing right? except the designer baby is made before its born.
Many people have ethical issues with gene therapy because they say its wrong and unnatural to mes with someones genes. They are worried that it will mess up the natural makeup of the human being.
rebrinkman

Pro

I know that it costs money, I realize that, and it's not the only option. You can either deal with it, or you can amputate a part of the body that is affected by your disease. Both solutions don't cost as much money, unless of course, you do absolutely nothing to help yourself and you end up in the hospital for a longer time, your symptoms getting worse, more medical bills, more money. I also understand that it can cause disease in the family, but gene therapy can be used to reverse the disease. Even if you didn't successfully get the implant, at least you had the guts to try, to turn your life around for the better. My opponent states the she believes it should be illegal, not even letting the people who want to try it to make them better. So they wouldn't have a chance to live a life they've only dreamed about.

You stated that it's dangerous and if it's suppose to heal you why can it kill you? Every medicine out there has no guarantee that it will work and that it will heal you. Some people are allergic to medicines, that could kill them. Even prescription medicines can kill you if you don't pay attention to the amount you're suppose to take or if again, you're allergic. So are you against all treatments that could kill you? Because unfortunately, any type of medicine/treatment can so no one would ever be healthy again. Do you really believe that they should have to live the rest of their lives with this disease. The people used this method because they were desperate, they want to get better and you're not even going to let them try?
lsaultman

Con

if gene therapy gave the disease then why would the family want to use it again in risk of making it worse, just to reverse it? I do believe that the public should not be allowed to use gene therapy until it is fully developed and is no longer an experiment. because of right now the solution of gene therapy is still an outcome that we are on edge about, even though many other solutions wont come out with the same outcome gene therapy has many more things a risk if anything goes wrong. And what if a citizen tries gene therapy dreaming of the life she will have after the implant just to find that it went wrong, either even more sick or dead.
I think that until it is better developed it should not be allowed to be used on human beings because it is still in experimental mode.