rebrinkman
lsaultman

Gene Therapy

rebrinkman

Pro

Gene therapy is a method of therapy that can get rid of diseases, whether it is a genetic disease or not, it can be taken care if with gene therapy. Majority of the time, gene therapy is used as a last resort for a lot of things but it takes much time. Gene therapy is when doctors inject a normal/non mutated gene and inject it into a virus, the doctors then implant it into you. The purpose of putting it into a virus is because the virus is supposed to carry the gene to the malfunctioning gene(s) and "swap" them. The virus destroys the gene(s) and then exits the body. I believe in gene therapy because it could be a chance for someone with an illness or even a syndrome to be able to live a normal life without medications or having to go to the doctors office every week. Most people would kill for a chance for this opportunity, I should know because I'm one of the people with a genetic disease. My disease is called Crohn's disease. This disease really messes with your digestive system. And the treatments are either poisonous IV's or feeding tubes where you aren't allowed to eat ANYTHING. I would do almost ANYTHING to have the chance to live a normal life. I understand that it's risky and there's no guarantee that it will work, but I'd rather die knowing that I tried to live a happy normal life then die living in misery.
lsaultman

Con

Jesse Gelsinger died in 1999 at age 18 because of Gene Therapy. Jolee Mohr died in 2007 at age 36 because of Gene Therapy. In Gene Therapy so many things could go wrong even though its supposed to heal you. Viruses are injected into your body and are supposed to go to the problem. but what if it goes wrong? what if it the virus doesn"t replace the problem, what if it attacks healthy cells and kills you or makes your situation even worse than it already is?
My opponent is going to tell you why Gene Therapy should be allowed. Yes, if gene therapy or gene transfer works it could save lives and fix any physical problems. Its just very risky to have a experimental operation done with a virus. I strongly believe Gene Therapy should be illegal to have done in the US or anywhere in the world.
rebrinkman

Pro

lsaultman

Con

lsaultman forfeited this round.
rebrinkman

Pro

rebrinkman forfeited this round.
lsaultman

Con

lsaultman forfeited this round.
rebrinkman

Pro

rebrinkman forfeited this round.
lsaultman

Con

lsaultman forfeited this round.