Evannnn
Windwalker

Genetic manipulation on unborn babies should be legal.

Evannnn

Pro

Hey, I would like to quickly debate someone on the topic of genetic manipulation. I would prefer if my opponent opened first, so I'll wait to see if anyone would like to start. If not, just say so in your opening statement and I can begin.
Windwalker

Con

Thank you for a intriguing debate topic.

I argue that, barring cases of genetic illness, genetic tampering should be illegal. Its cost is astronomical, meaning that only the richest people can afford to modify their unborn children. This would engender a generation of "designer babies" whose looks, intelligence, and physical prowess would be enhanced beyond that of the working class. The problem is clear.

http://www.nature.com...
Evannnn

Pro

If I were genetically modified, and had higher intelligence, innovation, and problem-solving skills then others, any affect it would have on poor people is positive. I would have the skills to create new, more innovative, more advanced products, that would help ALL of society, not just the rich. These new products would open the doors for economic opportunity, sparking up companies and businesses who want to sell them. That would create a richer economy, and more openings in the workforce.
Windwalker

Con

History has proven time and again that people with power rarely use it for good (Hitler, Stalin, Mao). Ask yourself: would you really hand a random kid in a preppy college super strength? What about twenty of them? What about when they assume that they are "ultimate alpha males" and go on an Eliot Rodger style rampage with enhanced strength and intelligence?

Also, the modifications have not been proven safe. One mistake has the potential to introduce permanent corruption into our DNA.
Evannnn

Pro

In our current society, we have rules to stop people taking advantage of others. People with GM would certainly use their power but it COULD not negatively affect people without it. The way our society runs NOW would prevent that. The only thing they could do is improve on themselves. In the process, however, possibly others.

People with power do rarely use it for good-So you would give the government power to decide what one does with their body, or the baby that may be inside of it?
Windwalker

Con

We have laws against murder, but it does occur. Our society cannot stop normal people from killing. The question is, do we want offenses to be committed by enhanced people, whom we stand less chance against? I don't believe so.
Nor do we want rich kids to outperform ordinary ones. Only the enhanced kids would be sought after for college and jobs. Normal people would have a harder time getting jobs, get poorer, and never have a chance to catch up.
Also, what evidence proves that GM is safe?
Evannnn

Pro

When cars were invented, poor people were not able to afford the luxury. This wasnt 'fair'. Poor people were being 'punished' because the rich had a 'selfish' need to get around faster. Are you saying cars should of been made illegal years ago to make things even? That never occurred. Now, buses exist for the poorest of people, and most people, even poor people, can afford cars. This is because of the innovative businesses that took advantage of the technology. They would do the same with GM.
Windwalker

Con

There's a difference between the rich having a toy, which is what cars were then, as opposed to an innate advantage that could make them a superior species, biologically. You have admitted that "People with power do rarely use it for good." If GM people became dangerous, how would we stop them? They would be impossible to legislate against, since they would still be people with full rights; compete with; or make normal again (all gene changes would be permanently passed down).
Evannnn

Pro

If GM people are allowed to occur, its not like all without GM would have their rights taken away. Everyone would keep the same amount of freedom.

People with GM would be competing among themselves business wise. They would struggle for who can make more innovative, helpful, society beneficial products so that people buy more of them, and so their company profits the most.

As I said in R3, GM people wouldn't become dangerous in today's society.

It's not only cars. Flight. Vaccination. Etc.
Windwalker

Con

Again: there's a difference between luxuries and innate advantages.
GM people would compete, but not just with other GMs. They would compete with normal people, driving them out of education and job opportunities.
You admitted in R3 that people with extra power rarely use it for good. In the end, genetically modifying a select, rich few people gives them power that average joes can never compete with, irreversibly creating a genetic aristocracy. This scenario is rife with potential for abuse.
Posted by Evannnn 2 years ago
Evannnn
Speaking of "quick", I'll have to put this debate on hold for a little bit. Sorry! I'm watching the Edward Snowden interview on TV.
Posted by Windwalker 2 years ago
Windwalker
Oh, nuh-uh. I'll wait to give that away till after the debate. I want you to get creative. :-)
Posted by Windwalker 2 years ago
Windwalker
Very interesting indeed. I'll now be more careful about what information I give out (just kidding, I don't mind.)

I noticed that your ideas and arguments are very closely related to the debate over capitalism. I too am in favor of free market capitalism, but in capitalism you are relying on a system that, due to humanity's natural desires, checks abuse. Those same natural desires (power, money, superiority) are dangerous when one single person or group has all the power and cannot be checked. Thus, my position on genetics.

I would enjoy debating you on abortion sometime, but it might have to wait. I'll be out of town (starting Sunday.) it was a risk to take your debate at all for fear of not finishing, but you said "quick" and I couldn't resist.
Posted by Evannnn 2 years ago
Evannnn
One more thing. Are you pro Gun-rights, or no?
Posted by Evannnn 2 years ago
Evannnn
Interesting, this will make things harder. I was going to use abortion as a reliable source of good arguments against you if you were pro-choice. I had assumed you were for some reason.

Time to get creative I guess.

By the way, I myself am pro-choice. Don't assume however that I'm left wing. I'm actually very capitalistic.
Posted by Windwalker 2 years ago
Windwalker
Thanks for making it. I actually enjoy the character limit, in some ways. I tend towards verbosity, so it forces me to condense my points and really cut to the heart of my arguments. On the other hand, I could cite dozens of studies and articles and bring in more "cold hard facts" if I had, say, a 1,000 word limit. But that's life: to get one thing, you sacrifice another.

I am strongly against abortion. You?
Posted by Evannnn 2 years ago
Evannnn
Fantastic debate so far, I'm happy to be in it. By the way, I apologize for the 500 character limit, I wanted this to be quick, and I wanted to mix things up a bit. It adds difficulty, ahah. By the way, just out of curiosity, are you against or for abortion?

I didn't even look at your link by the way, I much prefer it when links are not used during a debate. I want to argue against your personal thoughts, opinions, and cold hard facts you may of come across, not the thoughts, opinions, and questionable facts some nature website has on it.
Posted by Windwalker 2 years ago
Windwalker
I'm not sure what happened, but the link to my source malfunctioned. If you're curious, I'm re-posting it here. Fingers crossed, it will work! If it does not, sorry for cluttering up the comments section.
http://www.nature.com...