Intellisio
m.brussel92

Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)?

m.brussel92 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Intellisio

Con

GMO's are harmful and should not be sold in our country.
The first round is for acceptance. Please do not forfeit.
m.brussel92

Pro

If you were to question me years ago, I would have said that GMOs are the plan of the New World Order to eradicate mankind. Today, I don't think that is the case, my thinking has evolved, as much as I despise that word. In particular, my thinking has evolved as I have come to have a better understanding of genetics, but I'm still entirely open to the possibility that I am wrong in my thinking.

I accept this debate, and as you have made the statement that GMOs are harmful and should not be sold in our country, it would be good if you could clarify that statement and provide evidence of that. I can say that "GMO" is not a very specific term, as it can be anything from extremely beneficial and safe things like xenotransplantation, to biological weapons made in military laboratories.
Intellisio

Con

I am talking about GMOs in our food industry.
I am against Genetically Modified Organisms. Many people may point out that we can grow more crops and end Word Hunger! My opposition is "And give the whole world cancer?" Another point I would like to acknowledge is the fact that often genetically modified organisms are not labeled.The USA is the largest producer of GMO crops and does not mandate labels for GMO food. If they're healthy, what's the harm in labeling them?

I also strongly believe that humans shouldn"t interfere with nature. Not only are we creating a brand new line of food when making GMOs, we are also endangering many people's" lives. Majority of the people believe that genetically modified organisms are the answer for ending world hunger. I feel that it makes absolutely no sense to be ending world hunger by poisoning people. People would die and genetically modified organisms would be helping decrease the human population worldwide.

New allergens can be produced because of genetically modified food. A major issue in Genetically Modified Foods is the ability to trigger an allergy in humans. Some of the genes used in GM technology might be taken from a food that causes allergies in some people. Inserting that gene into another organism could cause the host organism to express that allergen as a trait. A new allergen can possibly be produced when genes are mixed across different species.

Genetically modified organisms can also help contribute to the extinction of certain organisms. An organism in the ecosystem could be harmed, which would lead to a lower level of biodiversity. By removing one pest that harms the crop, you could be removing a food source for an entire species of animals. GMO crops could prove toxic to an organism in the environment, leading to reduced numbers or extinction of that organism.

In a study conducted, when Pusztai fed rats genetically modified (GM) potatoes to produce a supposedly safe insecticide called the GNA lectin, all the animals showed pre-cancerous cell growths, smaller brains, livers and testicles, partially atrophied livers, and damaged to the immune system"with most changes appearing after just 10 days.

Our future generations deserve to have a healthy lifestyle just like our previous generations have had before us. I, for one, am against genetically modified food. My opinion is that genetically modified food is harmful. Genetically modified food not only increases the risks of getting cancer, it also can damage organs and do harmful things to your body.

57% of Americans would be less likely to buy food that are labeled GM. 87% people out of a CBS news poll want GMOs labeled. They would prefer to know what they are eating and the nutritional values behind it. The people who claim that GMOs are safe are the same people who are profiting from it.

Source(s): https://naturalrevolution.org......
https://docs.google.com......
https://docs.google.com......#
https://visual.ly......
m.brussel92

Pro

First, I would like to state that I agree with you, there should be GMO labels.

Then, I would like to make a short comment on allergies. There is a comprehensive database of all of the possible allergens called the AllergenOnline database, and none of them match GMO modifications. This is confirmed by the Institute of Food Research, which states that no food derived from GMOs has been found to cause new allergies. For any new GMOs, there are strict guidelines to ensure that it never happens, so now it is not an issue, and it should never be an issue in the future.

Regarding the Putsztai case, I am not that familiar with it, but from what I have understood, the potatoes were never intended for commercial, human consumption. Of course you can make negative GMOs, but if they are for humans, they pass extensive testing. Yes, I do agree with the precautionary principle, we were taught all about that in high school. It is a good principle that we should live by, and that is why every GMO product should be extensively tested before released to the public.
Intellisio

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate. I had a great time debating with you. I respect your views, but my opinion has not changed.
There isn't anything to refute in this debate so I wanted to magnify on one of the statements my opponent made.
You stated that "Regarding the Putsztai case, I am not that familiar with it, but from what I have understood, the potatoes were never intended for commercial, human consumption. Of course you can make negative GMOs, but if they are for humans, they pass extensive testing. "
This is a valid statement. Yet, animals should not be consuming these harmful GMOs just for the sake of testing either.
Genetically modified organisms can also help contribute to the extinction of certain organisms. "An organism in the ecosystem could be harmed,which would lead to a lower level of biodiversity. By removing one pest that harms the crop, you could be removing a food source for an entire species of animals. GMO crops could prove toxic to an organism in the environment, leading to reduced numbers or extinction of that organism." If there is a decrease in organisms, it could affect an entire ecosystem. If bugs began to eat genetically modified foods, there would be fewer bugs in the environment. Then, the animals that consume bugs would have a hard time reproducing and then those animals could go extinct or on the world"s endangered list. If there were fewer numbers of that animal, the environment would be harmed. The environment would suffer from the lack of diversity in organisms."

Source:https://docs.google.com...#
Posted by Shad0wXx 1 month ago
Shad0wXx
Good for you, starting this debate! School "em!