My thoughts on genocide.

Before posting my argument, I'd like to acknowledge the fact that I am not in favour of genocide as 'Pro' - the terms of this debate are unconventional. Strictly speaking, I would be the Con for this debate, arguing that African-Americans are not the subjects of ongoing genocide.

First, more clear definitions. Genocide is a specific term that was first coined by a Polish Jew called Raphael Lemkin who was a lawyer who migrated to the States because of the war and his writing was instrumental in constructing The Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (which is the UN's current genocide document).^1 The word genocide was first published in 1944, so it is a fairly new descriptor.

The destruction, in whole or in part, of one group of people must have specific intent and must be with the intention of completely removing that group (or that part of it) - you used the word "extinction". Typically, when we think of genocide, we think of mass rape in Yugoslavia, we think of Bosnia, and quintessentially, we think of the Second World War in which six million Jews perished in the bowels of death factories whose only constructed purpose was the mass execution of people to bring about their total obliteration. That was the only purpose.

We then counterpose this with the situation in the United States.

African-American populations residing within the U.S. have been increasing by around 4 million people per decade for the last 70 years^. Before that the rate continued to increase as well.

By definition, then, since the population is rising, there is no genocide taking place.

What we should be arguing for is social justice, equality under the law, fair treatment by the courts and law enforcement. There is still a long way to go before anybody can seriously be ready to say that social equality has reached an acceptable point. But when the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and the leader of the country is African-American, when the population is rising, and when there is no mechanised extermination process, a charge of genocide is both inaccurate and offensive to genuine victim groups of genocide.

Genocide is a term we reserve for the most egregious of mass atrocities. Injustice, even when it results in the abhorrent deaths of countless black men and women, is not synonymous with genocide.

Finally, on your irrelevant point about homosexual African-Americans, given that it's a free country, surely we should be advocating for our brothers and sisters to be able to participate in whatever way their conscience guides them? And since the African-American population is rising at an ever-increasing rate, and African-Americans identifying as any form of LGBTIQA is 4.6%^2, it's really not a demographic problem that needs worrying about. As long as they aren't hurting anyone, which they’re not, who cares?

Summarily, for the first round, it has been thoroughly demonstrated that the case of African-American injustice is not a case of genocide.

When you eliminate a race or certain type of ppl what do you do? You put elements laws and programs in certain areas that will neutralize a specific group. When I said my thoughts on genocide I was speaking of what's to come. First it was gay marriage then watch how they are going to boost up qualifications for insurance and many other government assistance. That's what I'm talking bout and the increasing of black on black violence is rising . Trust me you not going to see this in a few days or even a few years. But watch America unfold itself it the next 5-10 years. Marshall Law is coming

Thanks to my oponent for a provocative second round.

Firstly, I disagree that eliminating a race or group is best served by implementing certain laws etc. that cause injustice or degradation or suppression. The best method is to round them up and kill them, like the Nazis did. This is not happening to African-Americans in a systematic, deliberate attempt to wipe them out. The demonstration of this is that the population is increasing.

Suppression and disenfranchisement are not the same as genocide.

Gay marriage by nature is an institution of inclusion, not death, so it is therefore not a genocidal enterprise. Gay people are not coming to get you.

Difficulty in getting insurance or governement assistance is not genocide.

Black on black violence is only genocide (that is, autogenocide) if it was the case that some black people or black person was actively attempting to wipe out all the black people. This is not happening.

The time scheme is irrelevant.

Martial Law is not genocide.

rebeltev forfeited this round.

InnovativeEphemera forfeited this round.
Posted by rebeltev 8 months ago
Yes IM arguing that Afro Americans are the top subjects of genocide
Posted by InnovativeEphemera 8 months ago
Are you saying that 'Pro' is in favour of genocide and you are not in favour of genocide? Because that's not something anyone will take.

Or are you saying that the argument is over whether or not African-Americans are the subjects of genocide? If that's the case, I'll accept.
Posted by rebeltev 8 months ago
I agree. There are more black on black violence than police killing blacks but I mentioned that in the video
Posted by Nawl 8 months ago
Whites are more likely to be victims of interracial crime though. Blacks are often killed by other black people.
Posted by rebeltev 8 months ago
Hey hey hey. I'm speaking from my point of view and from what I've seen . Let me ask you this . Is there a target on your back every time you leave the house because of your skin color.
Posted by dannyc 8 months ago
This is incredibly ignorant and disgraceful to ACTUAL groups that were massacred. Those groups include blacks, whites, and others and to label this as a genocide is incorrect.
Posted by Reformist 8 months ago
Lol I'm tempted to accept this debate
Posted by bballcrook21 8 months ago
It's not genocide. It's just a bunch of idiot thug criminals shooting themselves up. The more of them die, the less the police has to take out.