ConservativePolitico
Sitara

George Bush Cannot Be Charged With Genocide

ConservativePolitico

ConservativePolitico

Pro

I recently saw a debate of this nature with Sitara claiming George Bush should be charged with genocide. The lack of intelligence in the arguments was so stark I want to put this to bed once and for all.

George Bush cannot be charged with genocide.

First Round for acceptance.
6k character limit.

Good luck...
Sitara

Con

ConservativePolitico

Pro

Genocide is a widespread, systematic elimination of a group of people, as defined by Merriam Webster:

genocide - the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial or cultural group [1]

President Bush ordered no deliberate and systematic destruction of any such group. My opponent is going to argue that Bush had systematically gone after Muslims which is simply an absurd and ignorant case. Bush pursued a war in Iraq and Afghanistan with specific goals - to remove Saddam Hussein from power and to secure Afghanistan from the influence of terrorist organizations. Neither of these goals beget genocide in any way.

The killing of combatants in a war in order to secure a war goal is not genocide. It's not even illegal.

There is no evidence whatsoever that shows a mass killing of a particular group and thinking that there is, is both paranoid and foolish.

The term genocide has been used only a few times in human history and usually it is associated with the death of millions. The Holocaust, Pol Pot's racial genocide, Rhawanda, all of these genocide events saw the death of hundreds of thousands to millions. The casualties of the wars in the Middle East don't even come close to this which is telling that these events were not systematic mass killings. Also, civilians are to be avoided as targets of the US military at all costs as is military policy in the US. Genocide includes the express killing of civilians. If you're ignoring civilians you're not out to destroy a group but rather combatants.

Again, George W Bush cannot be charged with Genocide.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Sitara

Con

I say: not true. 1. Every country attacked by the Bush regime is Muslim. 2. Please stick to whether Bush is guilty of genocide and not the validity of certain wars. We can debate that later. 3. Genocide can be against religious groups too as exampled in Nazi Germany. I am not currently calling Bush a Nazi, so don't get mad.
ConservativePolitico

Pro

My opponent only makes two points.

1. That every country "attacked by the Bush regime is Muslim".

and

2. Genocide can be against a religious group.

My refutations are simple. First of all to say the countries "attacked" by Bush are Muslim is simply an ignorant statement. In Iraq we attacked the Hussein regime which was a secular regime meaning we weren't targeting religion at all. Iraq is a conglomerate of many different cultures not just a blanket "Muslim" culture. Secondly, as religion falls under the cultural umbrella I already stated that religion can be counted in as part of the definition of genocide. Thanks for reaffirming that and showing us you don't know that religion counts as culture.

My opponent makes no points. Does nothing to undermine the points I made and has not furthered this debate. When the United States attacked Germany in WWI were we committing genocide on Protestants? No. War is not genocide. Bush has not committed genocide an all of my points stand unmolested.

I extend all arguments forward.
Sitara

Con

Sitara forfeited this round.
Sitara

Con

Sitara forfeited this round.
Posted by Sitara 3 years ago
Sitara
Ignore my comment. I posted in the wrong section.
Posted by Sitara 3 years ago
Sitara
Pro says: President Bush ordered no deliberate and systematic destruction of any such group. My opponent is going to argue that Bush had systematically gone after Muslims which is simply an absurd and ignorant case. Bush pursued a war in Iraq and Afghanistan with specific goals - to remove Saddam Hussein from power and to secure Afghanistan from the influence of terrorist organizations. Neither of these goals beget genocide in any way.
Vote Placed by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
ConservativePoliticoSitaraTied
Reasons for voting decision: This intellectual clash made my eyes bleed. Congrats on 100 bro