Ozzyhead
lannan13

George Carlin was the best comedian who has ever lived

lannan13

Ozzyhead

Pro

My argument is that George Carlin was the best comedian who has ever lived. I hope someone is ready for a fun debate! First round is acceptance, second round arguments, third round rebuttals, fourth round response to rebuttals, fifth round closing arguments.
lannan13

Con

I accept this debate.
Ozzyhead

Pro

I apologize. I set rules for 5 rounds, but there are only 3 rounds. So, let's make second round arguments and the final rebuttals and final arguments
What defines the 'best'? Well, when it comes to entertainment, the best is usually someone who has acquired many awards in their life time regarding their field of entertainment. However, not always. If someone is very taboo, or going against the norm, or speaking of the unspeakable topics, they may not receive awards. George Carlin may not have acquired many awards, although some, he has definitely acquired the fans.
George Carlin has earned 5 Grammy awards for his comedy (http://www.reuters.com...). George Carlin has also had 15 HBO specials in his life, averaging about one HBO special every two years. He has also written 7 books, selling large amounts of copies for each of his books. His first book Brain Droppings sold almost 900,000 copies in its first year released, and the book stayed on the New York Times Best Seller list for 40 weeks straight.
George Carlin was never afraid to speak what should not be spoken. He pushed the envelope several times. Countless amounts of comedians today contribute George Carlin to their inspiration, Bill Maher, Jon Stewart, and Stephen Colbert, as noted by them in their own material several times.
lannan13

Con

First off I like to state that my opponent is incorrect about his link, because it does not state that he has won a single Grammy.

Contention 1: Adam Sandler

Let's begin the long list of awards won by Mr. Sandler: Back-to-back Blockbuster Awards (1999-2000), 9 Kids Choice awards, 1 Gijon International Award (2002), 6 MTV Awards, 8 People's Choice Awards, 2 Razzie Awards, 2 ShoWest awards, 7 Teen Choice Awards, and 1 Walk of Fame Award. (http://www.imdb.com...) Adam Sandler also has produced 7 musical albums. (http://www.amazon.com...) We can all agree that Adam Sandler is a hilarious guy.

Contention 2: Jeff Dunham

He has actually won the best male comedian of the year award from the American Comedy Awards. (http://www.imdb.com...) He is a tranvilliquist who has made many shows where he has done several things with his own puppets.
Ozzyhead

Pro

I do believe that Adam Sandler and Jeff Dunham are good comedians, and are award winners, and they deserved them. However, Adam Sandler and Jeff Dunham never pushed the envelope. They did not do too much that was very innovative in the world of comedy. Yes, that's not the most important thing in the world, but they really kept everything clean, and didn't voice too many personal opinions. George Carlin on the other hand told jokes that also got people thinking. He was a funny man, but he sent messages that made many of people think. I know I do not count as a source, however, I have conducted many people who know who George Carlin is, and have agreed that he was someone that did get them thinking, including myself.
But, as I stated previously, awards don't always matter. Mr. Carlin did not receive a lot of awards and this is likely due to the fact that his comedy was of the dark kind. George Carlin is also an innovator of many things on stage such as breaking the 7 dirty words you aren't supposed to say on television. He argued that there is nothing wrong with the words, only the context in which the words were used. He was also the one who inspired comedians to use gestures and motions on stage, instead of just talking, as many before him did. Why, there are several people who mention George Carlin and genius in the same sentence. I'd be more than happy to post the several web pages that say so, too. No, they aren't scientific or journalistic writings, but it is everyday people calling him a genius. Many YouTube links, many Yahoo links, everyday people, not everyday critics. George Carlin was a great comedian, and no one has ever been able to up show him because everyone is always afraid of going too far.
lannan13

Con

My opponent drops my arguments both of Adam Sandler and Jeff Dunham saying that they are good, but have never pushed the envelope. That was his only counterargument. My response you may ask? I in turn answer with a question. If they did not push the envelope how come they have more awards then Mr. Carlin? Pro responds by saying that his comedy was dark, but let me bring up the point if that's true then how does Eminem have Oscars and more awards then Mr. Carlin. (http://www.imdb.com...) We all have known Eminem not to shy away from swearing in his music. My point here is that it does not matter the vullgarness.

In Conclusion, we can see that my opponent has dropped most of my points and I have, in both rounds, shown that Adam Sandler, Jeff Dunham, and heck even Eminem is better than George Carlin.

Thank you and please vote Con.
Posted by donald.keller 2 years ago
donald.keller
Someone will kill you through the use of relativity.
Vote Placed by MrJosh 2 years ago
MrJosh
Ozzyheadlannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments because CON used PRO's own metric to show that there were better comedians. Sources because CON's sources actually supported his points.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
Ozzyheadlannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro failed to meet the burden of proof.
Vote Placed by AgnosticRadar 2 years ago
AgnosticRadar
Ozzyheadlannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Both contenders did superbly, Pro gave quite a few good information, but Con stole the show by providing tons of supporting details. Thus, I have chosen Con for this debate, he had better conduct and better supporting facts.