George Washington and Thomas Jefferson should not be honored due to their acts against humanity.

Men like Thomas Jefferson and George Washington have no place being honored by Americans. As slave owners these men tortured, raped woman and children and forced his fellow man into slave labor. Such monstrous acts by someone should discredit them from being honored in a modern society.

We can all look back on history and see many things done in certain time periods were humanely wrong and left many to suffer for some to succeed.

I will explain why Thomas Jefferson and George Washington should be honored, and why their "Acts against humanity" are far more outweighed by what they have done as people.

Both Washington and Jefferson changed their views on slavery and wanted it abolished:

At a young age, both Washington and Jefferson both owned slaves. Both men saw this as natural and normal at their time, however they ultimately began to realize how morally wrong slavery was over time, and wanted it abolished. They were born into a mistake and learned from it, these men have both fought for the abolition of slavery.

"There is nothing I would not sacrifice to a practicable plan of abolishing every vestige of this moral and political depravity."
-Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery."
-George Washington

You should have came into this debate at least knowing that considering Jefferson and Washington are who you're attacking.

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson have built America to what it is today:

George Washington helped win a war that seemed unlikely to win, he led an army poorly clothed, poorly trained, and led them to ultimately force the British to leave. He was the United States first president.

Thomas Jefferson wrote the declaration of independence, which made the the eastern north american colonies a country in the first place. He was the United States third president.

Both men have changed their views, fought against slavery, led their people to form a strong country, etc. I could list more reasons, yet it would simply be overkill. Overall these men have changed views against slavery and created a country that still endures to this day.

These men should always be honored in American history. Good luck.

Actions speak louder than words. By the time of Washington's death over 300 slaves lived on his estate , 123 personally belonging to Washington him self. He spoke about wanting to end slavery yet continued to own and profit off of slave labor his entire life. How can one say Washington changed his views on slavery when he failed change his actions and free his own slaves?

Thomas Jefferson also died owning slaves. How are we to seriously believe his views on slavory had changed when he continues to profit from the practice up until his death also? Jefferson raped several of his slaves some ending up having his children.

It is common practice to excuse the monstrous acts of American slave owners of the past claiming "it was acceptable at the time". Many people morally opposed to slavory at those times refused to precipitate in the horrendous acts of slavery. Millions of enslaved people were opposed to their enslavement. I ask when one says slavery was an acceptable practice in those times, who are you referring it was acceptable to, the people profiting from it?
Hitler committed many unthinkable acts against humanity many of which were legal none of which are acceptable simply due to them being legal.

The right to not be enslaved is a basic human right that transcends time. It was never okay to own another human being forcing them into slave labor and other unthinkable acts of violence. Just because it was once legal does not make it okay and those who envolved should be heald accountable. A man should be judged by the content oh his character and a man who owns and tortures other humans is not someone who should be honored.

As American we should learn about these men and the things they have done good and bad but due to their horrendous acts against humanity they have no place being honored in modern society

Thank you for continuing this debate.

You never addressed my "George Washington and Thomas Jefferson have built America to what it is today" argument, you primarily attack my "Both Washington and Jefferson changed their views on slavery and wanted it abolished".

Both Washington and Jefferson changed their views on slavery and wanted it abolished continued:

For Washington, you fail to realize that Washington was by law not allowed to free his slaves.

"Of the 318 slaves at Mount Vernon in 1799, 123 of the individuals were owned by George Washington and were eligible to be freed as per the terms of the will. However, these conditions did not apply to all slaves at Mount Vernon. By law, neither George nor Martha Washington could free the Custis dower slaves."

The only defense I have for Jefferson however is the fact that he and Washington both fought against slavery, he ironically kept his slaves.

Slavery became less acceptable as time went on obviously.

Both men have taken steps to reduce the suffering slavery has started.

My argument stays the same, both men have fought against slavery, created a strong country, etc. These men have both done bad and good things, however the good outweighs the bad by far. We now have a country that is strong, citizens have the right to free speech, arms, etc.

Enlightenedone forfeited this round.

Pro has forfeited and failed to counter most of my points, while I have countered most of Pros points and boosted my own.
Vote Con.
Posted by liam2002 4 months ago
I am not sure if I agree or disagree so I will wait for the debate to be over and then vote .