Araku
theitalianstallion

German Shepherds with proper training, are the best breed of dog.

Araku

Pro

Garman shepherds that have proper training, turn out to be the best breed of dog. They are almost limitless in the tasks they can preform, which is why they are used for many things such as therapy, police, narcotic, herding, rescue, and seeing eye dogs. They get along with other dogs well, and are great around kids and other animals. German Shepherds are the best breed of dog.
theitalianstallion

Con

First, I thank my opponent for creating this debate.

"German Shepherds with proper training, are the best breed of dog."

My task is to prove that another breed is better, or equal to, in performance than German Shepherds. I choose Golden Retrievers.

Since my opponent did not state any definitions, I will provide some.

German Shepherd-Any of a breed of large dog developed in Germany, having a dense grayish to brownish or black coat; bred for herding

Best-Surpassing all others in excellence, achievement, or quality

Golden Retriever- A retriever of a breed originating in Scotland, having a dense coat of golden hair with feathering at the neck, legs, and tail; used commonly for hunting

My opponent first states that "They are almost limitless in the tasks they can perform." So are Golden Retrievers; able to learn over 240 commands, they can learn many tasks after only a few repetitions.

Next, my opponent says that German Shepherds are used in therapy. Golden Retrievers are also used in therapy, and on a much larger scale. German Shepherds, as a breed, are commonly aggressive towards strangers and very territorial, so only a select few are used in therapy. Golden Retrievers are very sociable animals and are open to meeting new people, which is why they are so common in therapy.

Police work is the only characteristic in which the German Shepherd may have a leg up on the Golden Retriever. This is mainly due to the fact that German Shepherds are, by nature, larger and more aggressive than Golden Retrievers.

My opponent says German Shepherds are used for narcotics, which I will assume means the finding of drugs by smell in cars, bags, etc. This is nothing special; now, almost any breed of dog with a somewhat enhanced sense of smell is used for this, including the Golden Retriever.

Pro then states that German Shepherds are used in herding. This is true, as this was the original intent of the first breeders, but they are rarely used in that "career" now. Golden Retrievers, although not bred for herding, are still capable, and just like the Shepherds, are rarely used like this.

Pro also mentions the use of German Shepherds as rescue and seeing eye dogs. Shepherds are used like this, just as my opponent states, but this is starting to change. The Golden Retriever is becoming more widely used due to the aggression of the Shepherds and how territorial they can become.

My opponent also states the following

"They get along with other dogs well" – This is false. The German Shepherd is one of the aggressive and territorial breeds when it comes to meeting others. Golden Retrievers, on the other hand, are one of the most sociable breeds, due to its calm, kind-hearted nature.

"are great around kids and other animals" – False again. Shepherds are only good around a child that is raised around them; all others, due to its territorial ness, are unimportant to them. Golden Retrievers have, again, a calm and kind-hearted nature which makes them very sociable animals.

Now, to bring another point into the light.

Golden Retrievers are, by far, better when it comes to hunting than German Shepherds. Retrievers were bred for their soft mouth, which makes them a favorite when duck, quail, squirrel, and hare hunting. Shepherds would most likely shred any kill apart before bringing the kill back.

I think I have adequately refuted all of Pro's points and proven that Golden Retrievers are equal to or greater than German Shepherds. I strongly advise the audience to vote CON.

I again thank my opponent for creating this debate and wish him/her the best of luck.
Araku

Pro

Araku forfeited this round.
theitalianstallion

Con

Although I am disappointed that my opponent hasn't taken the time to post an argument, I again thank her for creating this debate.

For my argument, see Round 1, but I do have one more point.

If the audience would be so kind as to take a moment to look at Araku's avatar; the dog is most likely a German Shepherd, or a German Shepherd mix. You can tell by the distinct black and tan coloration.

I have one question for those of you who saw this picture.

Does that look like the best breed of dog?

If your answer, like mine, was no, then I strongly encourage you to vote CON.

Also, here are some photos of the best breed of dog, Golden Retrievers.

http://www.dog-breeds-explained.com...
http://ottawadogblog.ca...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com...

Before I leave you, the audience, I must tell you one thing. I may not be able to post an argument in Round 3, being that I am traveling to see family for the holidays this Sunday.

Thank you for your time.

theitalianstallion
Araku

Pro

Araku forfeited this round.
theitalianstallion

Con

theitalianstallion forfeited this round.
Posted by resolutionsmasher 8 years ago
resolutionsmasher
Black Labradors can also do all the tasks that Araku stated. Plus they don't have a tendency toward violence. They actually have the opposite. A natural tendency towards friendlyness.
Posted by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
I realize now, looking back, that I did lean towards an untrained animal, but there are reported cases of GS used in police work to attack without warning.
Posted by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
Damn Gio everytime you debate someone they forfeit. Tone it down some before everyone on this website quits. naw im jk. Keep the good work up.
Heres to Rexy. Although Con seems to be talking about an untrained dog. Dogs still cannot always change all their habits. So even with the right training they can still be territorial and agressive. Its just how they are.
Posted by Rexy 8 years ago
Rexy
Isn't the debate about a "properly trained" German Shepherd???. Con has only provided information relevent to an "untrained" German Shepherd, why???
Posted by Rexy 8 years ago
Rexy
Having owned both and presently have a German Shepherd and Golden Retriever, it depends on what you are looking for in a dog as to which breed is best for you. If unconditional loyalty, affection and protection is your need, a German Shepherd wins hands down, no comparison to a Golden Retriever. If you want a sociable dog with a pleasant personality that 99.9% you could trust would never bite or attack another person or animal, a Golden Retriever wins without question.

Having said that and talking a "properly" trained German Shepherd removed of it's instictive aggression towards strangers and other animals, the German Shepherd offers greater characteristics and abilities than does a Golden Retriever. A German Shepherd is a more satisfying and versitile animal for experienced dog owners but for the inexperienced, a Golden Retriever would be a better choice being a dog that's easier to handle and less of a challenge to mould into the personality of your requirements.
Posted by FeatherintheWind 8 years ago
FeatherintheWind
i was gonna give pro some points just because of how awesome german shepherds are, but after that selection of pics by con, i gotta give it to the golden retriever. Nice technique.
theitalianstallion
It seems that my opponent will not be posting an argument in Round 3, so I don't feel so bad now about not being able to. I am disappointed in the lack of effort Araku put into this debate, but I do thank her for creating it.
theitalianstallion
Again, I apologize to the audience and Araku for possibly not being able to post a round 3 argument. This will be due to the fact that I will leave for NJ early Sunday morning.
Vote Placed by DeadLeaves93 7 years ago
DeadLeaves93
ArakutheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by resolutionsmasher 8 years ago
resolutionsmasher
ArakutheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by Lampshade 8 years ago
Lampshade
ArakutheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
ArakutheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
ArakutheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by FeatherintheWind 8 years ago
FeatherintheWind
ArakutheitalianstallionTied