Jenima
21MolonLabe

Getting a piercing is self-mutilation

Jenima
Started: 8/13/2015 Category: Fashion

Jenima

Pro

People take fashion very seriously. Piercings won't improve your physical appearance,
considering it could improve the style you're going for, how far is society willing to go? Piercing holes in your skin purposely is pretty harsh already, you've been given a body and you're supposed to take care of it and leave it the way it has been given. A piercing isn't going to make you any skinnier, prettier and its definitely not going to get you a boyfriend/girlfriend. My grand-mother previously owned a jewelry shop and some people came to get piercings, one has gotten her belly button infected and she demanded another one, clearly the answer was no. Getting a piercing is self-mutilation because you're piercing a hole in your skin purposely, not because its needed.
21MolonLabe

Con

Definitions: Since my opponent has not provided any, I shall.

Self mutilation: "to deprive (a person or animal) of a limb or other essential part." (http://dictionary.reference.com...)

Arguments:

Now, piercings must meet this requirement in order to be classified as self-mutilation. Obviously, they do not. Piercing your ears does not deprive you of any ESSENTIAL part of your body. That is as simple as it gets.

Rebuttals:

Everything in my opponent's argument is irrelevant except the last scentence. I would address each one, but my character limit is short. Now, her last scentence is not consistant with the definition of self mutilation, thus not self mutilation.
Jenima

Pro

You're not giving me the debate I asked for, you're giving me a lesson, in which most cases I do not need. You are denial, scroll down and you will actually see the word "self-mutilate":

self-mutilation
noun
1.
the act or an instance of mutilating oneself < that's why its called self-harm, in other words, self-mutilation.
21MolonLabe

Con

21MolonLabe forfeited this round.
Jenima

Pro

Self-mutilation.
self-mu"ti"la"tion

the mutilation of oneself, especially as a symptom of mental or emotional disturbance.
21MolonLabe

Con

I apologize about the forfeiture. This debate has now changed become an argument over the definition of "Mutilation." Since my opponent has not provided any actual sources, my definition still stands. Also I apologize that I will not be able to continue this debate as I have been assigned more Homework from my College Algebra class than I expected. I will probably forfeit the last round also.
Jenima

Pro

Actually, your definition was the definition of mutilation, so you are incorrect, whether it stands or not, I know its untrue. Good luck with your homework.
21MolonLabe

Con

21MolonLabe forfeited this round.
Posted by Kitchen_Sink 1 year ago
Kitchen_Sink
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Midnight1131 // Mod action: Removed<

FF

[*Reason for removal*] The way white people is.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: kingofthewatermelons// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Con (Sources, Conduct). Reasons for voting decision: Debate fell apart due to disagreements on definitions, which pro should have clarified at start. Neither side had compelling arguments. Only con posted a source.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The vote on conduct is unclear. The voter seems to side with Con on the basis that Pro should have clarified definitions from the start, but it's unclear why that should be viewed as misconduct, something the voter must explain. Also, the willingness of the voter to ignore both Con forfeits has to be addressed. (2) The source vote is insufficient. The voter must explain how Con's sources contributed to the debate, and not just state that one side had more.
Posted by Jenima 2 years ago
Jenima
@hldemi, oh..
Posted by hldemi 2 years ago
hldemi
Instigator- This is why you should post definitions of every essential term in your debate title. And do it in round one so that you don't give opponent the chance to define it any other way.
Posted by Aran55633 2 years ago
Aran55633
I don't know that I would use so harsh a term as "mutilation", but there is something to it. I certainly don't understand why you would want to have any such piercings.

One of my friends has many piercings and tattoos, and as is common when getting a piercing or tattoo, he did not use anything to reduce the pain. According to him, when he got his nipples pierced, the pain just from the first was so severe, he almost fainted. But the pain is a part of the process; you "earn" "it".

None of it makes any sense to me. And I guarantee that if you did it to an animal, it would be considered abuse.

So I think Pro has a case...
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 2 years ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
Self-mutilation is the causing of extreme or dangerous self-harm, like on the Muslim holiday Ashura.
Posted by Jenima 2 years ago
Jenima
@The-Voice-of-Truth, I agree that you have a right to comment, the only difference is that I won't be answering your comments anymore. Self-mutilation is self-harm, its the same thing, no more no less. Self-harm is the act of injuring yourself purposely, and you know what you're doing.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Self-mutilation is mutilation brought upon yourself by yourself. There is no difference. Look up the definition.

And I can comment whenever and whatever I want. I have a right to freedom of speech, you know.

And, by the way, what is right and false, according to you? You sound like you have been indoctrinated, as you can hardly support your stances.
Posted by Jenima 2 years ago
Jenima
@The-Voice-of-Truth, you are describing "mutilation" and not "self-mutilation".
Posted by Jenima 2 years ago
Jenima
@The-Voice-of-Truth, I know what is right and what is false, keep your comments to yourself if you would not like to be ignored.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 2 years ago
Midnight1131
Jenima21MolonLabeTied