0306cwp16
triniattorney

Getting rid of Cuny First at John Jay College

0306cwp16

0306cwp16

Pro

CUNY first is not reliable for the students of John Jay College of Criminal Justice. It is always under maintenance. This past week I needed to register for spring semester and I couldn't because of maintenance. If you check CUNY first it says there will be another scheduled maintenance on December 13th 14th https://impweb.cuny.edu...... . So much maintenance is done and nothing is ever improved. Therefore, John Jay College should get rid of CUNY first.
triniattorney

Con

I think we should keep CUNY first because it stores all your information in one place. once you know how to properly maneuver through the CUNY first site, you can find everything that you need to find, from your transcript, to registering for your upcoming semester and viewing your previous semesters grades. So I think we should keep CUNY first, that way all your information stays in one place
0306cwp16

Pro

CUNY First is very unreliable. You can go to Jay Express and see how many students go there because of CUNY first throughout the semester. Before the fall semester of 2014 began I had a glitch on my CUNY first account that incorrectly said I owed money. This glitch was wide spread and affected many other students. It made many students go through such an ordeal. CUNY first is also very difficult to navigate. CUNY First is also not clear with important notifications. For example, if you have a stop on your account you'd have to look for it and it's not noticeable until you do a good amount of searching. Notifications should be clear so that the student knows if anything is wrong. Someone could have a stop and they would never realize until it's too late. Furthermore, the consistent need for maintenance is interfering with CUNY First's overall purpose to keep your information organized and readily available. There are too many flaw in CUNY First. That is why John Jay College should use an alternative system.
triniattorney

Con

frankly yes there are glitches with CUNY first but I do not believe it is the site it self but the people who run the site. Overall it is a good site to schedule classes and other personal things. I do not like CUNY first, I actually hate it but with the new set up and the features it has, I can view and look at my grades and classes all in one place and even though I may need help at times, overall I can use the site on my own and see exactly what my counselor see. which helps to be on the same page
0306cwp16

Pro

Professors at John Jay also have problems with CUNY First. Shomial Ahmad and Peter Hogness write in their article about the inconveniences that Cuny First creates, " I had no acess to attendance rosters and no access to room assignments, no access to anything!" Said Julio Valentin an adjunct professor in law and police science at John Jay College. Outages remained for about two weeks he said, "but it seemed like forever." http://www.psc-cuny.org... CUNY First hurts everyone. It creates unneeded distractions. Our education has already been negatively impacted by the problems of CUNY First. Professors can't teach their classes with all these malfunctions. Therefore, John Jay should consider changing into a new system that is more reliable.
triniattorney

Con

CUNYfirst operate to conduct all our business at CUNY. All the school systems do not interact with each other but CUNYfirst integrates all our financials, HR and student processes so that the data can be used instantaneously across departments and the university. It only requires one step. CUNYfirst is a city University wide system that manages student's education and records allowing students to access many important services, such as tuition fees, and course schedules.
http://www.baruch.cuny.edu...
Posted by 0306cwp16 2 years ago
0306cwp16
http://www.psc-cuny.org... Sorry this is the link I meant to put in my argument for round 3.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
0306cwp16triniattorneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both had proper conduct throughout. S&G - Tie. Both had minor spelling and grammar issues, but neither outweighed the other. Arguments - Pro. Overall, this was a debate revolving around the preponderance of evidence. Pro gave me more reasons to believe that CUNY first causes more harm than good. Even Con expressed his hatred for the service. While Con did present some quality counter-arguments, I feel that Pro had the most evidence on his side. For this, Pro wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Both utilized an equal amount of sources in this debate. I honestly can't believe you found someone else on this site who uses the same system. Good debate.