thekelseyc
Corrupted_Ideal

Girlfriend is questioning abortion

thekelseyc

Con

I will be debating the part of the male, sense I am against the Topic being stated.
Rules: You must give your person a name and state whether you are male/female, and what their role is

Gender: Male
Role: Boyfriend
Name: Johnny

I was at my girl friend's house yesterday and she said that she needed to talk to me about something, so I said, "alright, what is it?" She told me I probably had to sit down for this. So I did...and started to get worried. "Johnny, I'm pregnant..." she said. But the thing is, we had pledged to abstinence. "How is that possible, babe?" She was in tears at this moment explaining that she was at a party a couple of weekends ago and she had blacked out. She was 8 days late on her period, as well. I asked her if she had taken a pregnancy test already and she said no, so we went and got one. The test name back positive. A little angel was growing inside of her. "I don't want to keep it. I'm not ready for a baby. I'm only 17." She said the A word. "You can't get an abortion!" I fought back. "Johnny, I was RAPED." Tears were streaming down her face. I hugged her and comforted her. "We're going to get through this together." I couldn't let my girlfriend get an abortion just because some a** hole slipped something in her drink at a party. I just couldn't...
Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

I accept your challenge, and will assume the role of the female. Her name will be Jennifer.

Although I am male in real life, I feel like I can quite easily and effectively argue my points from the woman's point of view. I am pro-choice, I support the decision made by the woman and her right to do with her body what she chooses, and believe that the Choice can only be made by the one with the life within them, not by outside influences.

I am 17, I'm not even graduated from high school, my life is in so much chaos and uncertainty, and I know I do not have the capability to be a mother, nor should I have to carry the burden of someone else's decision within my womb. I know my boyfriend sincerely believes that there is a way to get through this without aborting the child, but I simply disagree with him. If I want to have a child, I want to have one with him, of my own will and desire, in the most beautifully intimate and romantic way.

These conditions that have been placed onto me by forces outside of my own control is not fair. Everyone deserves the right to make a decision. I was not given the right to make a decision. My life was invaded under false pretenses, and thus I should not have to hold the burden of carrying this child.

I don't think I can deny that life begins within the fetus the moment the sperm touches the egg. Consciousness, on the other hand, can be argued differently. The 24th or 28th week is the week that is scientifically recognized to be when the baby first contains 'consciousness'. It becomes a consciously aware being at this point, although its level of consciousness is extremely low.

I am not yet at my 24th week, so I can get an abortion without the being within my womb being consciously aware of what is going on. The life-form is not technically human yet, it has not developed to that point where it can be considered human. It is merely DNA right now, in the growth process of becoming human. But it is not yet human.

I hope, Johnny, that you can forgive me for my decision. But I want to have a child with you, not with anyone else. I can't look down at this child's face knowing his face is not a reflection of yours, that his DNA does not contain any of yours. The pain would be too unbearbale. What am I to tell him or her when they get older? That his birth was the result of rape? A complete accident? I could never bring myself to do that. I don't want to put him or her up for adoption either, because then that baby would know me as the mother that didn't love them at all, or was irresponsible, and I can't live with that idea either. They may end up with cruel foster parents, or even worse circumstances.

It is better to abort the child. It would be for the best. If reincarnation were real, well, maybe the soul will find a better womb than mine. If not, I hear that God, if he exists, takes all the aborted children and takes care of them in Heaven. Maybe if I go there I can explain to the baby why I made my decision. And, well, if there is no life after death then who really cares anyway? I would be doing this child a favor by not bringing him into such a cruel world.

Sorry, Johnny, but I think it's for the best. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to the abortion clinic. Not without discussing this over with you. But this is an invasion of my privacy, an invasion of my own right to a free and happy life. If I kept the child, it would be against my will. I can't love something that only reminds me of the face and eyes of the man who raped me. That is too much to ask of me.
thekelseyc

Con

My girlfriend and I wanted to make a life together some day, to get married and to have kids but now she's carrying life inside of her as a result of rape. Now, I want her to keep the baby though it's women's choice. But I think we could raise this baby, my mother and father offered to help us with any financial difficulties and my grandparents would be able to take care of him/her while we are at school.

Conscious or not, there is still life growing inside of you and to abort the baby would still be considered murder. It's a moral sin.

When he/she grows to be a teenager we simply tell him/her that they were a gift from God. We were blessed to have him/her in our lives. Regardless of the father, it's just like adopting a child.

Aborting the child would just simply result in depression. You would regret it after having the abortion and we would end up fighting over every little thing and I can't risk losing you. I love you with all my heart and I love this baby, even though he/she isn't mine I will be the father of this child.
Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

Johnny, are sperm cells considered human beings? Because if they are, then people would need to have sex before every third day, because sperm cells die after three days and are recycled with new ones. Scientific evidence shows that life growing inside the womb is not actually a human being until the 24th week. It is just DNA and an assortment of different tissues. If we consider these cells to be human beings, then sperm cells must also be considered to be human beings, and so whenever a man goes four days without having sex, he has committed murder.

I'm convinced this is not true. Human life begins after twenty-four weeks of conception, so before that time, the fetus does not have a right to a life because we cannot give human rights to non-human entities. The decision would fall on me, the mother.

I do believe the only reason I would be hurt and depressed is because other members in my family are hurt and depressed. Statistics show that only 5% to 30% of women are actually depressed and guilt-ridden after an abortion. And most of the time this is due to the woman's hormones switching back to the way they were before pregnancy. Emotions are all muddled together and confusing, but this is a completely natural response. On top of that, the family usually does not support the mother after she gets her abortion, and the loneliness does not help her cope.

If you are going to break up with me because I don't want to carry this burden, because I love you and I want to have a child with you, then maybe you never loved me to begin with. True love can survive over any hardship or turmoil, and you need to try and understand how I'm feeling right now, Johnny. I've just been raped, I've been deprived of my right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, and I've been emotionally scarred to re-experience that moment over and over again in my head for the rest of my life. I shouldn't need to keep this unborn baby, it is not a moral sin if I get the abortion before it develops into a human being.

Please try and understanding my reasoning.

http://www.prochoiceactionnetwork-canada.org...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...
http://www.pro-truth.net...
thekelseyc

Con

Who said I was ever going to break up with you? I will love you no matter what choice you make and I hope that we stay together through all of this. I'm not saying that the DNA growing inside you is a human being but you should take in account that you are the mother. How does that make you feel that you are killing a child that was supposed to have a life. Think about all the great this child could do for us. He/she could become the next Albert Einstein or Steve Jobs. Who knows.
At the moment when a human sperm penetrates a human ovum, or egg, generally in the upper portion of the Fallopian Tube, a new entity comes into existence. "Zygote" is the name of the first cell formed at conception, the earliest developmental stage of the human embryo, followed by the "Morula" and "Blastocyst" stages.
The zygote is composed of human DNA and other human molecules, so its nature is undeniably human and not some other species.
This DNA includes a complete "design," guiding not only early development but even hereditary attributes that will appear in childhood and adulthood, from hair and eye color to personality traits.
It is also quite clear that the earliest human embryo is biologically alive. It fulfills the four criteria needed to establish biological life: metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction
Finally, is the human zygote merely a new kind of cell or is it a human organism; that is, a human being? Scientists define an organism as a complex structure of interdependent elements constituted to carry on the activities of life by separately-functioning but mutually dependant organs. The human zygote meets this definition with ease. Once formed, it initiates a complex sequence of events to ready it for continued development and growth.

So after reading all of this, it is in fact guaranteed to be human.

Sources:http://www.frc.org...
Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

Corrupted_Ideal forfeited this round.
thekelseyc

Con

My point exactly. ^
Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

Corrupted_Ideal forfeited this round.
thekelseyc

Con

thekelseyc forfeited this round.
Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

Corrupted_Ideal forfeited this round.
Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
bossyburrito
This looks interesting.
Posted by The_Chaos_Heart 4 years ago
The_Chaos_Heart
I'm confused...I'm tempted to accept this, but I am not exactly sure what this debate is about. Is Pro your girlfriend? Or another party you are discussing the topic with? Are we debating whether or not she should get an abortion? Or the morality of abortion itself? Please clarify, I am tempted to accept.
Posted by FritzStammberger 4 years ago
FritzStammberger
a disingenuous debate?
Posted by thekelseyc 4 years ago
thekelseyc
I really like these kind of debates, it gives the person more opportunity to get into it.
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
Ooo! A role playing debate. That's an idea I hadn't thought of.