nhenna
Cooldudebro

Girls are raised to have low self esteem

nhenna

nhenna

Pro

I believe that girls are raised to have a low self esteem because:
A. They are surrounded by pictures, and shows, and movies of the "perfect body"
B. We live in a world of comparisons. Something is always better or worse than something else.
C. They are shown at a very young age that there is a requirement for love and happiness
Cooldudebro

Con

Hello, I am here to show you girls in our society are not raised with low self esteem. I will start by proving what my contender said is false.

1 "They are surrounded by pictures, and shows, and movies of the "perfect body"

This is true. But this also sets a double standard. A lot of girls see these movies, but know they are movie stars, and have had special diets and exercise plans designed for stars. So the girl could not possibly get the body they have. This is also like saying that since males see a guy with a six pack, they get low self esteem. A lot of people know who they are and they are not perfect. All of the girls I know don't even pay attention to female stars. They always obsess about a popular male.

2 "We live in a world of comparisons. Something is always better or worse than something else."

Again, this is also true, but every different person has a different skill set may it be a male or female. Like, maybe her favorite star is prettier, but the girl is smarter, or the star made bad choices that got her in trouble. You are kinda underestimating how kids are these days.

3 "They are shown at a very young age that there is a requirement for love and happiness"

Well, what do you want to do? To tell our daughters that they should never find love and get married? To remove every movie in Hollywood about love? Girls want to find their guy. It's just human nature!

Furthermore, there are also a lot of guys that will make girls feel special. maybe one day, they will get married and have kids. Girls are pampered and treated very special. For example, guys pay for dates. Guys normally have to work up the courage to ask a girl out. They are always "Daddy's Princess". Girls are treated better than most everything. This all contributes to them having high self esteem!
nhenna

Pro

You are correct by saying that many girls realize that stars are on special diets and exercise plans, but there are some contradictions. Do kindergarteners playing with Barbies know what a diet is? Do little girls watching commercials understand what exercise plans and even celebrities are? Children piece things together, that's how we learn. In order to get things, you must say please, so we do. You see your parents getting the spoons from the drawer on the left, so you go there when you need one. All the girls being called beautiful are skinny, so skinny must be beautiful. Up until the age of 6, we follow the monkey see monkey do system. When they do reach the age of realizing what's real and what's not, the foundation has already been planted. In contrast to this, boys do not think the way that girls do, this is a proven fact. Though some guys do have insecurities and confidence issues, it is not as prominent as within the females. In my experience, most men aren't concerned about being skinny, and having perfect hair and the best makeup.

I'm underestimating how kids are these days? "These days" teenagers are cutting and falling into depression. "These days" people are starving themselves and are even moved to permanently remove their lives. Do you know how these feelings start? They start with "she is prettier" and "her makeup looks better" and "I will never look as good as she does". Girls aren't thinking about how they have better grades then the prettier girl when they're starving themselves. They aren't thinking about their "better attributes" when they slit their wrists. According to samhsa.gov, "an annual average of 1.4 million adolescent girls age 12 to 17 experienced a major depressive episode in the past year.” 1.4 million girls and what exactly do you think the issue is? I think you are "kinda underestimating" the seriousness of this problem.

All girls remember growing up watching those Disney princesses and perfect romances. They see those gorgeous girls being swept up by an amazing guy and magically fixing all their problems, and they believe it. They believe it with all their hearts because in that point in time, that is reality. Godmothers and balls and that perfect kiss is their reality. And what do all those girls have in common? They all have perfect bodies, and flawless make-up and the ability to be at the right place at just the right time. All those children will hold on to this false sense of security until that day they grow up and find out that princes don't exist and there is no fairy godmother to save the day. Even though they mature and learn, that fantasy is still in the back of their heads. They hold on to the fact that in order to be loved and cherished, you must fit the status quo. I am not telling you to tell your daughter that she will never find love, I am telling you to tell your daughter that she is beautiful just the way she is and one day a man will appreciate that and love her unconditionally. All those things going on in the tv aren't real yet they are pushed upon and targeted towards young children, do you ever wonder why?

Moreover, I understand that the guy has to pay for the date and work up the courage to ask a girl out, but have you thought about the other end? In order to be asked out, you need to be chosen. What happens to those unchosen ones? How will they feel about themselves and how can they help comparing themselves to the "chosen" ones.

Cooldudebro

Con

This round will be dedicated to proving everything my opponent said is false.

Rebuttal 1: so , you are saying a 6 year old is going to cut herself or feel bad about herself just because she is not exactly like her. Do you really think a six year old girl will be so obsessed with her looks she will put on makeup? Nope. I don't know any girl like that.

Rebuttal 2:
First I don't want wemen to think I don't care about them or them to think I do. But wemen kinda care too much about acceptance. Guys are getting beat up, abused by bullies, and aren't raised with half the self esteem. They take it. And with girls, it take one girl calling them fat to throw them into a deep depression. I feel really bad for them. I wish I could give each one a hug and tell them everything will be okay. But a lot of girls can take all of that "I think you are fat" crap because every girl should be treated equally because a lot of the time girls that aren't as pretty have bigger hearts. I'm gonna shut up now but that's how I think.

Rebuttal 3: a lot of the time the princesses are animated. They are not real people and any girl past 6 is smart enough to see that. And thanks for proving my point with girls are special because that raises their self esteem.

Rebuttal 4: to be choosen is to fit someone's type. Like my type is smart and nice. But other guys want knock outs. It basically comes down to what you want and every girl fits one guy's type one time or more. They always get choosen eventually
nhenna

Pro

My opponent stated that young girls do not worry about their looks. As I stated in my previous argument, the foundation of this superficial beauty is planted at a young age. This does not mean that little girls will be self- conscious. This means that they will take this idea of a "perfect body" as they grow up, and it will affect how they think of themselves.

My opponent failed to disprove the male-female comparison.

My opponent argued that guys are beat up and abused by bullies but "aren't raised with half the self esteem." Let me remind you that the original argument was girls are raised to have self-esteem issues. Guys are not raised to be bullied or abused, and that has nothing to do with how they think of themselves before the bullying occurs. My opponent also said "they take it". There are many depressed and suicidal males out there, do they "take it"? My opponent also stated that it takes one person calling a female fat to throw them into deep depression. This is true in the sense that it takes one insult to cause you to negatively look at yourself, because in most cases that attack will stick with you for a long time. This further proves my argument that we live in a world of comparisons. That women being called fat, fat compared to whom or in who's opinion? My opponent argued that " a lot of girls can take all of that "I think you are fat" crap because every girl should be treated equally". How can you determine how a woman takes an insult? Anybody can act indifferent or laugh it off, but how do you know it didn’t hurt them in any way shape or form?

My opponent failed to disprove my point of girls cutting and/or falling into depression.

My opponent failed to disprove my point of girls comparing themselves to others.

My opponent failed to disprove my statement that women do not think of their better attributes.

My opponent stated that "princesses are animated and any girl past six is smart enough to see that." As I said in my previous argument, girls under the age of six believe what they see. Watching all those perfect girls being swept up by amazing guys will make them believe that they must be perfect in order to find their guy. Also, in my argument I stated that the tv is not real but is pushed upon young children because they are more susceptible to their ideas.

My opponent failed to disprove my point of girls feeling they have to fit the status quo.

My opponent failed to disprove my point of tv being targeted towards young children for a reason.

My opponent failed to disprove my point of young children believing what is seen on the television.

My opponent was correct in the statement that different guys have different types, but are you sure that is all that is taken into consideration. When a guy first looks at a girl, do they notice how smart she is, or do they notice how good she looks? When a girl likes a guy, what is the first thing they want to do? They want to look good, they want to look skinny, they want to look better. "They always get chosen eventually." Do women think about eventually? Does getting chosen "eventually" change how they view themselves?

My opponent failed to disprove my point of how girls cannot help comparing themselves to others.

In conclusion, I believe that girls are raised to have low self-esteem because they are surrounded by pictures, shows, and movies of the perfect body, we live in a world of comparisons, and they are shown at a very young age that there is a requirement for love and happiness. According to nami.org, one in five teens have experienced depression at some point. Depression and suicide rates are growing every day, and in order to fix this problem we must first understand it. Each and every day, women are being called fat or ugly, and even worse they start to believe it. Nothing is ever achieved without confidence, and unfortunately many women are lacking it. It is time for it to be common knowledge that everyone, no matter what shape, size, or color, is beautiful. The only way to get this message across is to teach our children from a young age and kill these negative thoughts before they start. Low self-esteem is serious, and we need to start acknowledging it.

I thank everyone for reading this debate and I thank my opponent for his participation.

Cooldudebro

Con

Cooldudebro forfeited this round.
Posted by Juris 3 years ago
Juris
apologize for posting the same comment 3x... my network failed
Posted by Juris 3 years ago
Juris
Conduct: Because con forfeited the last round

Spelling and Grammar: Con"s sentences and paragraphs are poorly constructed. For example, "A lot of girls see these movies, but know they are movie stars... So the girl could not possibly get the body they have. " In this sentence, the pronoun "they" does not have a clear antecedent. There are many other sentences that are similar in nature with the above sentence.

Convincing arguments: All the 3 contentions by Pro are well supported in the following rounds. The rebuttal of con was weak. He said, "A lot of girls see these movies, but know they are movie stars, and have had special diets and exercise plans designed for stars. So the girl could not possibly get the body they have." By saying that it is impossible for any girl to get the body like that of a movie star is clear mistake. This is an extreme claim by con to say that it is impossible.

The worst rebuttal by con: A lot of people know who they are and they are not perfect. All of the girls I know don't even pay attention to female stars. He committed biased sample fallacy. He concluded that his claim is right based on a sample that is biased.
Posted by Juris 3 years ago
Juris

Posted by Juris 3 years ago
Juris

Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
sry i am way busy! i couldn't finish this debate, i ask that my opponent cancel this and challenge me when I am less busy
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
You're both stupid, use a source and destroy your opponent
Posted by KaleBevilacqua 3 years ago
KaleBevilacqua
I don't quite agree with one of Con's statements. Beauty has higher priority in our society for women rather than men. Mainstream media divert attention to a woman's looks, but never to a man's, because that would be gaaay. A woman's looks speak louder than her power, character, and opinions. Female Supreme Court justices are joked about as "ugly hags." Never happen to their male equivalents. Despite Hillary Clinton's high-profile achievements, articles still spring up about her hair and fashion choices. Never happens to her male equaivalents. And if a gorgeous woman is unusual, creepy, or even a bit bitchy, her looks are a saving grace. If a man, however, is any of those things, he's screwed. Looks are irrelevant. Since mainstream society is constantly portrayed from the lens of a straight man, and since a man's attractiveness thus holds less weight, there's a smaller need for an "every man is beautiful" movement. Nonetheless, one can absolutely try. In fact, that would be awesome.

But yeah, cool debate. I look forward to seeing the winner.
Posted by TapQueen96 3 years ago
TapQueen96
The way that a child is brought up in the world is almost completely dependent upon how they parents have parented them and if they've done their job well enough. I don't really think that you can blame it on the media. Yes, as a teenage girl I can say that the media puts a lot of pressure on us to "look a certain way", but I believe that the way that we're raised completely depends upon how are parents bring us up in the world and what they chose to expose us to.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
All girls or just some? and is this in comparison to how men are raised?
Vote Placed by amik10 3 years ago
amik10
nhennaCooldudebroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct- CON forfeited a round so pro wins. S&G - tied Arguments - Overall I felt that Pro had stronger arguments and was able to defend them well. Sources - Tied
Vote Placed by Juris 3 years ago
Juris
nhennaCooldudebroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Because con forfeited the last round Spelling and Grammar: Con?s sentences and paragraphs are poorly constructed. For example, ?A lot of girls see these movies, but know they are movie stars... So the girl could not possibly get the body they have. ? In this sentence, the pronoun ?they? does not have a clear antecedent. There are many other sentences that are similar in nature with the above sentence. Convincing arguments: All the 3 contentions by Pro are well supported in the following rounds. The rebuttal of con was weak. He said, ?A lot of girls see these movies, but know they are movie stars, and have had special diets and exercise plans designed for stars. So the girl could not possibly get the body they have.? By saying that it is impossible for any girl to get the body like that of a movie star is clear mistake. This is an extreme claim by con to say that it is impossible. (Reasons @ comments) thanks.