IwinYoulose333
jp1999

Girls should be able to do less exercise than boys in gym classes.

IwinYoulose333

IwinYoulose333

Con

Hello fellow debaters!
I am quite new to Debate.org and this is my first debate.
I am also quite new to debating and I see this site as a chance to improve my skill and have fun at the same time.

Without further ado:

I believe that girls and boys should be required in their Physical Education classes to do the same amount of exercise. There have been famous athletes in both genders. According to nextgenjournal.com the number of female athletes outnumbered males on the 2012 Olympic U.S. team. I believe this proves that girls can do just as well as boys in gym classes.
jp1999

Pro

Hello, this is also my first debate. Thank you for allowing me to join you in this debate sir, if I may proceed.
I agree that Girls should have the ability to opt out of certain activities in gym classes if they wish.

A running game
Girls are very different to Boys (both mentally, and physically), and it is with this point I wish to say that Girls react and cope differently to Boys with different tasks set before them. Lets take a gym class, and there is a fitness exercise which involves a medium distance run (800m). There are fifteen Girls, and fifteen Boys, and not wishing to be stereotypical, but it is likely the Boys will all do it as they want to compete against each other, this is due to their natural instinct that they want to be the 'Alpha Male'. Girls on the other hand will stick together and help each other out, due to their friendly and more compassionate nature. It is fair to say that all of the Girls will do it because they have other people to boost their ego and help them on the run. But lets say one of these Girls are different to the others, she is very shy and in-confident in herself. She feels she cannot do it and wishes to abstain. What your argument suggests is that a Girl has exactly the same ability as a Boy, which is very true. The sky is the limit with any gender's ability. But it is the effort and attitude an individual must have, to reach that equal ability. My reasoning is therefore this; This one Girl has the opportunity to be as good as one of the Boys. But as she is less confident and naturally less competitive she will either do the run and feel she has nothing to loose, thus will avoid pushing herself to her maximum. Or abstain completely and enter a 'hopeless' stage.

It is on this note that I wish to make my point. If a Girl feels she cannot do something because she is either too unfit (Injuries or medical condition) or too emotionally unfit (literally in tears, begging not to have to do the run) she should not be forced to do it.

IwinYoulose333

Con

Thank you for your response.

I noticed that I failed to site my source from my previous argument, but here it is:
http://www.nextgenjournal.com...

I can understand where you are coming from with your argument. Yes it is true that boys and girls differ in levels of competitiveness. However there are also boys who may feel weak and out of shape when seeing other more physically fit boys and girls. There are also girls and boys in gym classes that are obese and out of shape and give up on P.E., because the exercises that are done are to strenuous for them. A possible solution to this is to have different gym classes for different weights. It is possible with this solution to help both genders get in shape. I must also include your argument about shy children. These children are not necessarily obese, but may be not as fit as the others. Special classes for these people would also help. When you are surrounded by others that are the same weight as you, you are less likely to feel shy, because you know that the entire group will perform almost exactly the same. Although they react differently to tasks, if they are surround by members of their own weight they are more likely to be able to perform better and do the exercises. I guess what I am trying to say is that they should be separated by their ability to perform not their gender. Those members of different genders with the same ability to perform should do the same exercises.
jp1999

Pro

Can I first ask, that do you not think that being put in a class with all the other obese or unfit Girls and Boys might be a little degrading for the children, and perhaps even worsen they self-confidence levels?

You said shy people's fitness would be affected, and credit due, those who don't play enough sport will not get fit. But the sport you do should not be forced upon you. We live in a free country of choice, and children should have the right to make a choice whether to partake in a gym class or not, regardless of weight and confidence.

But your last comment or point took me back a little. "be separated by their ability to perform not their gender." Like I said above, how degrading would that be? Put it this way, at the school I went to we were in set classes for PE (Gym class for you Americans). I was in the second of four sets, meaning I was about of average to above average ability. But, I was then, overweight and quite unfit. But because I had the choice to play different sports than other people, I generally achieved much higher grades than I would have done, following the normal, unchanged curriculum.

I would just like to clarify the notion too. You say Girls should not have to do the same exercise and Boys, but both you arguments are against Girls dropping out of lessons (and Boys). Is it not worth clarifying here and now, that when you mean Girls doing less sport than Boys, you merely mean Girls and Boys doing less sport than normal? Because in effect, what we both are arguing about it why a child of either gender should be able to abstain from a Gym class.

You may post a rebuttal against my points again, but I believe that the last round is typically a summary rather than a rebuttal. In that respect I ask you to abstain from debating, but to summarise your debate for the audience to vote.

IwinYoulose333

Con

Thank you for the tip I assume you will summarize your arguments too.

I believe that if boys and girls were separated by ability to perform instead of gender they would be more self-confident. I can see what you mean when you say it would be degrading, but how much more degrading is it to bunch everyone together? In my personal experience, those that are obese/out of shape do not want to participate in activities with these muscular, competitive kids that would mock and laugh at them should they even try. I think these special gym classes would solve the problem of girls doing less exercise than boys.

Thank you so much for competing with me jp1999.
jp1999

Pro

This house agrees with the above statement because Girls should have the choice of what they can do. A Girl should never be forced into doing anything she wants (regardless of whether it is a sport or not) or a Boy none the less. I personally had problems with my fitness in primary school (Grades 2-4 I think - I'm British, I don't know...) and while being forced into activities, it caused some long term damage, both mentally and physically. For example, my fitness during the American equivalent of Grade 2 (Year 1 UK) was at its lowest (not because I was obese, but because of my asthma). After being forced into a 1K run I collapsed after having an asthma attack, despite warning my teach that I would not be able to do it, rather than could not.

I see your point, in that it might be more degrading for them if they are grouped with the 'pros', but what you prefer? Say you were mildly overweight, and quite unfit. Would you rather be in a race with people who aren't unfit or with those who are unfit? I can see the argument for both, and its fair to say only a poll would decide that.
So on that note, please read through all of our points carefully and vote Pro!
I would also like to extend my welcome to IwinYoulose333, and thank him for a hard thought debate.

Many thanks, and vote PRO!
Posted by jp1999 3 years ago
jp1999
:P Sorry, I am in a derpy mood today...
Posted by jp1999 3 years ago
jp1999
lol, I must do this though:
|
|
|
|
|
|

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...|... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .._,,-~~~-,-,,_
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...|... ... ... ,,---,,_... ...,-~",-":__-,: : :"-,:::"'~,,
.,,-~~--,, ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...|... ... ,~": : --,,:"~,,-"::::/:,-". . ."'~-,,: \,::::_,,"~-,,
/: : : : : : :"'~-,,... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... |... ... /: : : : :~"'\,: \::__/:|o--,,. . . . .\,: "": : : : : :"-,
\: : : : : : : : : : :""~,,... ... ... ... ... ... ... |... ... .\: : : : : :,,-"~": : : "'~~-,:"'~-,,_|: : :,-""""""-,:|
.'~,: : : : : : : : : : : : :"'~-,,_... ... ... ... ...|... ... .."-,_: ,-" : : : : : : : : : : : "~,--~": : (o~--,,_. . |:|
... ."'~-,,: : : : : : : : : : : : :"-,~--,... ... ... |... ... ... ...,/: : : : : : ,,--,-,~-,,: : :"~-,,: : :"~,___:"-/,/__
... ... ...,"~"~--,,_,,-~"`"`": : "-,::"'~~--,,_..| ... ... ... ..|: : : ,: :,-". ,-"./. . . ."-,,_: : :"~-~": : : :"'-,,~,:"-,,
... ... .,/: : : : --,,:|: : : : : : : : :"-,,::::::::::::"~--,,_... ... \: : :|: /. .,/. . |. . . ,-".|. "~,,_____,,,,,__:\: : : : |
... ... .|: : : : : : : "|: : : : : : :,: : : :\:::::::::::::::::::::"'~~-,,"-,:|: |. /. . . .|. .,-". . |. ,-"'. \. . .,/|. . . .",:\: : ,/
... ... ..\, : : : : : ,/ : : : : : : :|: : : ,/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"\: "-,,___,\,/___,,\/___. |,-". |. . . ,/.|: |,~"
... ... ... ",-,,,__/: : : : : : :,/,_~"-:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"-,,____,, : : : : : : : : : "'~,,,/.,,~". ,/: /
... ... ... /: : : : :"-,,___,,-": : ,"-,-:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::'\: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : "-"__,-":,-"
... ... ... '\,_: : : : : : /-,,___,,"~-----~~~~,~---,,__::::::::::::::::::::::|: : : : : : : : __,,--~"~,,___,,-"
... ... ... ... ."'~---~"... ... ... ... ... ... ...|---~"::::"'~-::::::::::::::::,/: : : : : : : : : :\"~,,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|::::::::::::::
Posted by Freak 3 years ago
Freak
:) respect.
Posted by jp1999 3 years ago
jp1999
what you are doing is comparing top talents. Women can be stronger than a lot of men the same way an olympic female participant can be stronger than your for example.
Answer: I see, so I shouldn't be comparing people from the same class of ability? I should compare an obese 8 year old girl with a super fit 28 year old girl, because that is totally fair?

you misunderstood my point. I did not include any this about "Kcal" in it because the thought is irrelevant to the sentence and its meaning
Answer: I see, so what did YOU mean by supplying energy? Not the energy a body requires to do things, some sort of supernatural energy obviously?

Women can do the same exercise as men
Answer: My point is that some cannot, do not, and will not. Everyone has the potential to aim high, but not everyone will reach the same standard at exactly the same sport. What you have said is that Oscar Pistorius will be as fast as Usain Bolt, even though in reality his times are a second or so slower. Derp.

I never compared the amout of calories it needs.
Answer: I see, so you meant a supernatural energy? A different energy to the only scientific one bodies use up.

Please think before you judge.
Answer, I see. I need to think, before I judge. Im thinking, very very carefully right now. And I have thought for a long time, and I am about to judge. Yes, after much deliberation, I still think BOTH of your comments are pointless.
Posted by Freak 3 years ago
Freak
jp....
what you are doing is comparing top talents. Women can be stronger than a lot of men the same way an olympic female participant can be stronger than your for example. "We both stated that in some way" well, a debate is getting directly to the point, and urs kept going on and on. "They both are able to supply all the energy that is needed to complete the same exercise." you misunderstood my point. I did not include any this about "Kcal" in it because the thought is irrelevant to the sentence and its meaning. Women can do the same exercise as men and complete it;therefore, in order to complete it they have to have enough energy to do so. I never compared the amout of calories it needs. Please think before you judge.
Posted by IwinYoulose333 3 years ago
IwinYoulose333
Thanks for the tip Likespace.
Posted by likespeace 3 years ago
likespeace
babyy's comment is fraudulent spam, directed towards anyone foolish enough to reply.
Posted by IwinYoulose333 3 years ago
IwinYoulose333
I don't understand babyy's comment. Who is it directed towards.
Posted by IwinYoulose333 3 years ago
IwinYoulose333
Haven't been on this debate for a while, but I must say I agree with Jp on his most recent comment.
Posted by jp1999 4 years ago
jp1999
Err, pointless comment. We know that, as a matter of fact, we both stated that in some way. Also, some of it is wrong.

"They both are able to supply all the energy that is needed to complete the same exercise."
Nope. Females require less Kcal to do things than Males do. It is simple science.

"By saying that girls should be able to do less exercise as men you are discriminating both sexes and their abilities."
Not really, discriminating is saying that someone cannot do something because of a trait. Saying that a girl should be able to choose wether they do the same, more or less exercise than men is not. Think before accusing me of discrimination.

"Look at your television and you would see that women and men are doing the same exercises and both are doing it perfectly and are being able to tolerate any pain it leaves."
As I live in the host country of the Olympic games last year I can tell you I watched every minute of it, that I possibly could. Ever noticed a correlation though? World and Olympic records for Women are slightly slower, shorter, lighter etc. This is because a Woman cannot do the same things a Man can, to the same standard.

I think I have made my point.
Vote Placed by WesternGuy2 4 years ago
WesternGuy2
IwinYoulose333jp1999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Many of these arguments could have gone either way, but con clearly had the better impact Pro does not show exactly why girls in general should be able to do less exercise, not whether they have asthma or is obese Boys could have asthma or be obese Con was better in this case
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
IwinYoulose333jp1999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: see comment
Vote Placed by Krestoff 4 years ago
Krestoff
IwinYoulose333jp1999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The arguments come down to whether there should be separation - unfortunately neither debater makes a decisive enough argument for me to vote on so I fill in the gaps a little bit: Con argues for the separation by ability while Pro argues for opting out (which in my mind is functionally the same). Problem with opting out is there is no possibility of a beneficial outcome - Pro even admits that abstaining will push someone into a "hopeless stage". On the other hand there's the possibility that separating classes would provide more encouragement so I vote on that risk. Not that I like that prospect mind you. Good job fellas.
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
IwinYoulose333jp1999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering BA_BA_BA's vote bomb. He did not provide any reason for his votiing decisions and thus his vote is invalidated.
Vote Placed by BA_BA_BA 4 years ago
BA_BA_BA
IwinYoulose333jp1999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: