AK3515
Zanomi3

Girls should be able to wear leggings to school

Zanomi3
Started: 10/1/2014 Category: Fashion

AK3515

Pro

Yes, I do believe we should be able to express themselves through the clothes they wear. It is not the fault of the girls, that boys get distracted.
Zanomi3

Con

I accept this debate. Due to the fact that there is merely one round, I will proceed to list all of my arguments and refutations (to some point) in this initial/final round.

My opponent lists some extremely valid points, the main (and pretty much only one) is that the girls have no fault in the fact that boys get distracted, as well as being able to express themselves. First, I will address the statement "it is not the fault of the girls..." Of course it is not. In theory, of course. Nobody in a school setting would set out on a mission to distract all others from their education. But in today's society, and in schools around the country (both junior high, high school, and college), things do tend to get out of hand. There comes a point where clothing simply doesn't work for an individual, and instead of singling out an individual and declaring that they are not allowed to wear certain clothing, it becomes a school rule. One must also look at the standards being set here. What my opponent has neglected to mention is the fact that boys are also subject to dress coding when wearing leggings. This is not a single-gender rule; it applies to everyone. Furthermore, "that boys get distracted" is quite the general statement. Not every male is being distracted, and more often than not I would venture to say that most males' education is not affected much by the clothing decisions of fellow classmates.

Second, addressing the fact that girls should be able to express themselves. In my opinion (and this being somewhat of an opinion based site), there are plenty of other ways to express oneself than leggings. In fact, expressing through wearing leggings may send the message that school is not important, or that one falls into all the other stereotypes of wearing leggings. School is, while one is a student, their job. Dressing up and looking presentable should be something on their minds, and wearing leggings may not present this.

Finally comes the belief in dress codes. These rules are not set to ruin a students day, or to cause them misery. For many schools, this is for safety and simply to avoid problems in the future. All in all, I believe I have presented my arguments in a fashion that demonstrates my side. This was a lovely debate, and may the best debater win (but vote con).
Vote Placed by Craighawley215 2 years ago
Craighawley215
AK3515Zanomi3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro shouldn't have made it a one-round debate, or should have posted a more thorough argument. Con gets conduct, spelling/grammar, and arguments for that reason.
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
AK3515Zanomi3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's decision to keep this debate to one round eventually caused her defeat because she couldn't make any refutations to some very debatable (but well put across) arguments by Con. Neither used sources and both put across arguments with sound grammar and spelling.
Vote Placed by OliveJuice 2 years ago
OliveJuice
AK3515Zanomi3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con clearly succeeded in putting forth more effort than Pro. I personally agree with Pro, but Con's claim was supported better.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
AK3515Zanomi3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gives a more in depth argument.
Vote Placed by Atheist-Independent 2 years ago
Atheist-Independent
AK3515Zanomi3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Far superior argument from Con, and due to the fact that this was a one round debate, Pro did not get a chance to rebut Cons arguments.