Girls should not be allowed to wear mini skirts in work related environments.

Saw him post this in the opinions section. Challenging him to a debate to defend it. Anything goes

(1) he has the BOP
(2) He shall make arguments in round 1 immediately following the rules and guidelines (this post)
(3) Shall type no round as agreed upon in the last round. Failure to type this results in a full 7 point drop due to him having an extra round.

My point of view in this debate is completely about ethics. It is not about freedom of expression, nor is it about the rights of the employer. The purpose of this debate is to talk about ethics, and that is all I'm here to talk about.

Contention 1: Foreign Business

International trade is a risky business, simply because of vast cultural gaps even between countries that are similar. For example, in England, it is rude to maintain prolonged eye contact because it is seen as aggressive. In Japan, wearing white is taboo, for it is the color of death. In France, liberal dress is considered to be rude.

When looking for trade partners, foreign businesses try to learn as much about a business as possible. This includes standards of procedure, rules of conduct, and dress code. The employees are a business, and the way they act and dress are all major indicators of what a business is like. When women are allowed to wear miniskirts, which are quite liberal pieces of clothing, foreign businesses see that and are turned off, because they feel unwelcomed and humiliated. It is unethical for a businesses that trade internationally, or are planning to trade internationally, to allow employees to wear liberal dress of all kinds.

Contention 2: Consumers & other employees

There are some consumers who do not mind liberal dress. There are other consumers, like me, who do not patronize certain businesses simply because of their employees dress code. Nor would I invest in a company that does not have a strict dress code. That would not be a problem if not for the 80% of women who believe that miniskirts do not belong in the workplace, and 61% of men who share that opinion (Reuters 2011). That's a huge percentage of people who feel uncomfortable being around women in miniskirts. This applies to both consumers and the miniskirt wearing women's fellow employees. Is it ethical for a business to make their customers and employees uncomfortable? Absolutely not.

Contention 3: Investors

Professional investors prefer to invest in businesses that appeal to as many customers as possible, maximizing their ability to make a profit. As I've shown earlier, foreign countries don't like to trade with companies that have lax dress codes, and consumers don't like them, and employees don't like them. If nobody likes them but the people wearing them, where will a company go? Down the drain. Investors don't like companies that are doomed for destruction. End of story.

Contention 4: no advantage

There are really no advantages to wearing miniskirts except to the people wearing them. And the people who like miniskirts can wear them when they return home, still gaining their advantages.

To finish, miniskirts are bad for business. They turn off foreign business, they turn off consumers, they turn off employees, and they turn off investors. The only advantages of miniskirts are reaped by the wearers. So, you ladies who wear miniskirts can wear them to anywhere you want, save your workplace, because, really, they're bad for your job.

Lets jump straight into it.

C1) Freedom of expression/individuality

The ability to wear what you want, and express yourself as an individual should almost always be accepted. This is obvious outside of the workplace. The question is should freedom of expression be allowed inside the workplace. Workplaces should always have dress codes, and some miniskirts fall under what is acceptable. It is similar in school situations as well. To address this lets look at some types of mini skirts

A) Pencil Skirt

A Pencil skirt is a common skirt worn in the work place. It is a form fitting skirt and can be short/long and still fit in the mini skirt category. It covers all the necessary parts and is actually quite fashionable and professional

B) Short Skirt

Even Short skirts are acceptable. A lot of places incorporate a to the fingertip policy. Where you put you hands down to your side and the dress must be that long. Which is still above the knee and is labeled a mini skirt. These can also be professional, fashionable, and sexy.

C) Fluffy Skirt

These extend out and are still mini skirts as well. But they work with a lot of serious/business attire.

Most of these skirts are mini skirts and fall in line with most business policies and dress criteria. They are legitimately appropriate, and there is no reason that they should be banned. Especially if they fall into proper work attire.

C2) Business Environment and what it entails.

Not all business environments have to deal with the public. Some are closed off and some deal with customers. The idea that mini skirts should be banned entirely is on my adversary. He has the BOP in that regard. At most it should be considered upon the situation and depending on the type of environment, the dress code could be changed accordingly.

C3) Relaxed and Casual Dress in Summer

Having worked in a business environment for most of my life, I can vouch for the fact that it sucks to have to wear professional attire almost every day. Some times in the summer it is drastically hot and almost every job i have had caters to this. They allow more casual dress codes depending on where you are working, most of which support mini skirts as long as it abides by dress codes.

It allows the employees to be more comfortable, express there individuality, and not be muggy on hot summer days. This is no different than guy shorts or flip flops in some business places. It all depends on where you are working. There is almost certainly no need to outright ban it, especially when we could allow it be worn in the summer when it gets over 90 degrees in some places. It just allows a more casual/laid back work environment.

C4) Casual Dress can improve work performance

There are a lot of studies that support this theory.

Here are 2

" The occasion will not be improved by this departure from the formal to the semicasual. A sense of occasion and the ability to dress properly for it are among the refinements of civilization. ‘Casual,’ a word whose meaning is much abused these days, too often means slack and slovenly. In this context it is a short step from a business suit to a sports jacket” [1]

“In research we’ve done, the fact is if you feel better and are more comfortable, you’ll be more productive” [2]

C5 ) Mini Skirts are just sexy

I mean sure they can take your attention away for a brief second, but the brief second you lose will motivate you to increase your performance. Think about it, if you are a single guy working in a business environment and this girl with long legs and a short skirt walks by you, what do you do?

The best way to impress her, is to show her that you are a boss at what you do. It could even motivate you to hit on her and be a show off. This increases job productivity by itself.

C6 ) They look good on every race/color/and even gender

A) Whites/Mixed breeds

B) Asians

well the only two genders that matter in the context of my personal thoughts.

C7) Masturbation

This could even cause you to go jerk off at work because you are to overly excited.

Studies show that masturbation helps you become more relaxed, calm, and even relieves stress. Thus increasing your ability to focus. The ability to focus because you have wasted your load after looking at "that girl", will ultimately help you reach your productivity and quota for the day.

Mini Skirts help increase productivity. They help stimulate productivy and quality performance due to guys masturbating and also appeal to a casual work eviroment. They also are just flat sexy. Either way we can not ban freedom of expression in the context of something that is actually a viable attire in the workplace. Mni skirts should not be banned, and the status quo should not be changed. It is on Pro to demonstrate that the status quo should be changed.

[1] Horn, 1975, p. 59
[2] Sweeney, 1999, p. 38

First of all, I would like to state that my opponent conceded my argument about Foreign businesses, other employees who are made uncomfortable by mini-skirts, and investors who are turned away by miniskirts. Quite simply put, my opponent has conceded that miniskirts do create hostile environments for women and business. Also, if my opponent makes any new points in his next argument, it is abusive, and will result in a full 7 point drop, because I have no chance to respond. I am not making any new arguments, just rebutting.

Now for your arguments:

C1) Freedom of Expression: Freedoms are limited in workplaces

Freedom of expression is only available in an environment that is not controlled by a set of rules. You cannot shout curse words in the middle of a meeting because they are words, and, after all, they are only expression. Expression is limited in many ways in controlled environments, and dress is one of them.

C2) Business Environment and what it entails: Keyword is business, Business = professional

Lets face it, a person should not wear crocs to work simply because they are not professional, they are for the beach. A person should not wear a sweatshirts and sweatpants should never be worn to work because they are not professional, they are for workouts. Women should not wear yoga pants to work because they are not professional, they are for 15 year old girls and doing yoga. Tattoos are inappropriate for work, so is heavy makeup. So is too much skin. It doesn't matter how simply stellar your legs are, they are simply inappropriate, because they are suggestive. Any skirt that cuts off before the top of the knee are always unprofessional, simply because they show too much skin. Your not a stripper, your a professional.

CEO of consolidated graphics says, "Something you would wear to the beach or a nightclub is never appropriate [for work] no matter [how old] you are."" Dresser Wayne of Dresser, Inc., "I personally believe that shorts and mini-skirts are unacceptable." CEO of Guaranty Bank, "I don't like seeing the girls wear short shorts or skirts and big clunky shoes or the guys with the baggy pants."" Hope Lumber and Supply Company, "For women, keep it professional...not short dresses or skirts or cocktail dresses." Kiewit Offshore Services: "Women - conservative lengthed skirts, or slacks with tailored shirt." These 5 CEOs all agree, mini-skirts are never appropriate for work. My opponent has provided no evidence to back-up his claim, other than arguments such as "A lot of places incorporate a to the fingertip policy," or "A pencil skirt is a common skirt worn in the work place," and it would be abusive for him to provide actual evidence in his next argument, because I do not have a chance to respond.

C3) Relaxed and Casual Dress in Summer: Comfort and Appropriateness are not in conflict.

A simple web search of "professional and comfortable women's work clothes" will help any woman interested in finding clothes that are both comfortable and professional.

C4) Casual Dress can improve work performance: there are many forms of casual dress that do not include mini-skirts.

Employees are not allowed to wear jeans to the office, and they are not even inappropriate! There is a line between what is casual and appropriate for work, and what is casual and inappropriate for work. And mini-skirts fall under the category of casual and inappropriate simply because they are too casual. A woman can dress casually while still dressing in a manner that is appropriate for work.

C5) Mini Skirts are just sexy: No Weight

This argument simply holds no water because 1. there is no evidence, and 2. workplaces are not meant to be sexy environments

C6) They look good on every race/color/and even gender: So do many other things

You do not need to wear a mini-skirt to look good. End of story

C7) Masturbation: Work places are not brothels

The purpose of a brothel is to entice people, not a workplace. Also, workplaces should not encourage people to be enticing. Studies also show that: men who masturbate are at a higher risk of cheating on their wives, and vice versa, men who masturbate are more likely to watch pornography, pornography decreases productivity, pornography greatly increases divorce rates, pornography greatly increases the number of men who cheat on their wives, and vice versa, men who watched porn at one point in their life are at a higher risk for divorce, same for women, men who masturbated regularly at one point in their life are at a higher risk of divorce and cheating, same for women. I could go on and on about all the bad things masturbation can cause, and it is unethical for a workplace to encourage men to cheat on their wives, or women to cheat on their husbands.

Mini Skirts are not appropriate for work. They are disliked by employers and employees, they are repulsive to foreign cultures, they cause lost money and investment. Also, freedom of expression is not a right in a workplace, and even if it was, they are still unprofessional. You can be casual and comfortable without being enticing. Also, the fact that their sexy is a negative, because workplaces are not sexy environments. Also, it is unethical for workplaces to become "sexy". And finally, you don't need to wear a mini-skirt to be attractive. All-in-all mini-skirts are, and will remain, inappropriate for work.

Mikal, no new arguments, because that is abusive, and will result in a full 7 point drop for you.

Lets go straight into this

R1) Foreign Business

This point is pretty much invalid due to some of my previous contentions. I have shown how some mini skirts are acceptable in the work environment and can be quite casual and normal. My adversary is assuming all mini skirts are "slutty". See a pencil skirt from round 1 . They are common in most business environments and acceptable my most standards.

In addition most people in a business environment will only interact with people in their specific job or business.

Think of this logically, banks in america mostly interact with banks in america. At least in a person to person basis. Banks in Europe will only personally view other employees from that bank or other banks in Europe. It is safe to assume that large margin on personal contact is done strictly from a country to country basis.

So any argument my adversary tries to bring up about foreign contact is almost irrelevant. The number is so minuscule that it is hardly worth considering. How many normal people working in a bank that is in America actually interact with someone from a completely different culture outside of the norm in America? There is no way to pull up stats for this, but it is logical progression.

R2) Consumer Interaction

Against his is operating under the assumption that all mini skirts are slutty. I have shown how some can be quite professional and are actually already allowed in the work place. My adversary is supporting a change to the status quo. He would have to demonstrate beyond doubt, that all mini skirts are not acceptable and should not be allowed in a business related work environment. He has not accomplished this.

R3) Investors

Same refutation as R2

R4 ) No advantage

He just says there is no advantage. This is baseless and we can see this from my contentions as well. I have shown there can be some advantages to a casual work environment such as increased productivity. His contention is a baseless assertion that is his own opinion. We can dismiss this as invalid.

Rebuilding Contentions

C1 ) Freedom of expression

My adversary says that freedom of expression is limited in the workplace. This is obvious, and not even a refutation. The difference is mini skirts are already the norm and are allowed in a lot of work environments. Even in business environments. My adversary would have to make a case against the status quo and show that mini skirts should be banned objectively in all work environments. Making the case that freedom of expression is limited in the work place, therefore mini skirts should be banned as a contention is invalid. He would have to show the negative effects of mini skirts to even support this contention. Which he has failed to do so.

C2) Business environment and what it entails.

He makes a point about dressing professional. He is just operating under the assumption that skirts are unprofessional. There is nothing to support this at all, and it is a baseless assertion. Again if they were unprofessional, it would not be his BOP to break the status quo. He is requesting to change the status quo, therefore the assumption that mini skirts are non professional and should be banned is baseless. This is his BOP to meet, and one that is made so far with no evidence whatsoever to support it thus far.

For this logic to even be sound I would have to be trying to change the status quo, but this is not the case. Therefore we can dismiss this entire premise.

C3 ) Relaxed and Casual Dress in summer

C4 ) Casual dress and work performance.

He claims employees are not even allowed to wear jeans in casual attire. I have no idea what assumption he is working under but this is just blatantly false. Even in business environments people are allowed to wear both *jeans* and *mini skirts* if they meet the rules the business has outline as far as a dress code.

This entire rebuttal of his was mute.

C5) Mini skirts are sexy

He claims there is no weight and no evidence. Really?

That is evidence in itself.

C6 ) They look good on every race/gender/ and color

"You dont have to wear a mini skirt to look good"

Yes you do

C7) Masturbation

This is entirely dropped. He fails to refute my study that masturbation relieves stress and therefore can increase productivity and quality in a work environment. I would also like to note that masturbating is not cheating. It is just giving your meat a friendly love tap. Also looking is not cheating, at least to most people. I was even operating under the assumption that the guy was single. Really man? Come on, these are iron clad facts. Jerk that happy pole to get some good results at your work place.

My adversary has almost dropped all of my contentions and provided no reasons to change the status quo. Therefore he has not fulfilled the BOP or made any ground as to why we should change the status quo

I have shown that

(1) Miniskirts and casual work attire can increase work performance
(2) Are sexy
(3) Can help people jerk it to increase productivity
(4) Are actually business friendly and appropriate.

Mini skirts should not be banned from business related environments

I have not failed my burden of proof, because I presented evidence that companies are against miniskirts ( you presented no evidence about the status quo other than your own word, nor did you present any evidence except a single study saying masturbation can be helpful)

Next you rebutted my points without giving me a chance to respond, therefore resulting in a full 7-point drop.

For all of these reasons, it is necessary to affirm the resolution.
Posted by progressivedem22 2 years ago
Did anyone else notice skeptic111's votebomb? "Reasons for voting decision: I think the reasoning behind Con has a lack of values. Freedom of dress is not a reason in itself. The reasoning behind Pro is convincing, and highlights the level of professionalism to take into account in the business environment."

Not only has he not defended his vote, and blatantly admitted that the reason he believes Pro won and deserves 5 points is that Con has a "lack of values." Not only is it a deliberate votebomb, but an ad hom.

Where the hell is that new policy where we actually need it?
Vote Placed by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't adhere to the rules that he inherently accepted by accepting the debate. As a result, the full 7 point drop was in place as retribution, and it ought to be implemented.
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: No round in last round. Arguments- I'm a girl. Sorry but Pro's arguments were more convincing to me.
Vote Placed by TheHitchslap 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: No round in the last round, Opponent failed this rule resulting in a 7 point loss.
Vote Placed by Defro 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not meet his BOT. He did not effectively show why mini skirts should not be worn even though they are acceptable in certain workplaces. Conduct and sources go to Con for the pictures. Pro had evidence but did not cite his sources. Furthermore, Pro did not type "no round" in the last round, which according to the rules given by the instigator, must result in a seven point loss.
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to con because pro failed to prove that skirts should not be worn in the workplace. Con's round 3 arguments were not refuted. The masturbation argument really got to me, as when you are in the workplace, you should have SOME fun. Con went more on a funny path, while pro took a more serious path. In a troll debate, whoever follows the better path wins conduct. Conduct to con. Spelling and grammar is tied. Sources go to con, as he used more (pro used none) and they were at least somewhat reliable.