lillunchboxbandit
mongoose

Giygas is the Hands-down Most Disturbing Boss In a Non-Horror Video Game

lillunchboxbandit

Pro

I think that Giygas from the game Earthbound for SNES is the most disturbing boss ever to be in a non-horror video game. There is really nothing to say until an opponent arrives, so I will wait.
mongoose

Con

There are many bosses that are more disturbing than Giygas.

1. Bongo Bongo

He's got one eye, and his hands are severed from his body. That is creepy. Also, you can't see most of his body without the Lens of Truth.

-

-

-

2. Death Sword

He is also invisible, until beaten up enough by Wolf Link. He is also very creepy. He's got horns coming out of the sides of his head.

-

-

-

3. Blizzeta

"NOT TAKE MIRROR!" Her head spins inside of itself, and her eyes are blood-red, and she has fangs. Very disturbing.

-

-

-

4. Barinade

It's surounded by jellyfish-things, it has purple tentacles, and just watch the end when its dead. It's covered by red warts, and explodes in green goo. Eurgh.

-

-

-

5. Ganon

Giant boar, with two giant swords. In the darkness. Surrounded by fire. Quite disturbing.

-

-

-

I think that will do for now.
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

All of these are from Zelda, except for the one from "Twilit" which I've never heard of.

That music during the battle is so epic... You have to listen to it yourself.
Giygas is also creeper because it was based off of personal disturbing experiences of the creator of the game. For example, one time when he was a child, he walked into the wrong theater, and saw a rape scene in a movie. Thus, Giygas's second form looks like a fetus. http://earthboundcentral.com... They go back in time to get him in his weakest form, an infant. Sort of like an abortion. Giygas's dialogue is the exact words of the rape victim in that movie he saw on accident. The reason it says "You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack" is not because it was pure evil, but out of self-defense. Pokey calls it pure evil, but every word out of his mouth in that game is a lie. The only thing able to stop Giygas is prayers. Nine, to be exact. I don't know exactly how or why this works, but it does. No attacks work on Giygas, because he is protected by an impenetrable shield. The only thing that does any damage to Giygas is human spirit. This is only one of many disturbing forms of Giygas.

http://forum-files2.fobby.net...
http://moonside.kontek.net...
http://www.freewebs.com...
http://superfani.com... (JK)

And that is why he is the most disturbing boss in a non horror video game. vote pro.
mongoose

Con

My opponent has not responded to any of my bosses, and has not said in any way why they are not disturbing.

It is also clear that my opponent did not watch the videos, because if he did, he would have seen that Blizzeta is from Zelda as well.

"That music during the battle is so epic... You have to listen to it yourself."

Epic is not disturbing.

"Giygas is also creeper [sic] because it was based off of personal disturbing experiences of the creator of the game. For example, one time when he was a child, he walked into the wrong theater, and saw a rape scene in a movie. Thus, Giygas's second form looks like a fetus."

That does not make Giygas disturbing. That makes his background story disturbing. This actually goes for everything that my opponent has said, except for the prayer part.

"The only thing able to stop Giygas is prayers. Nine, to be exact. I don't know exactly how or why this works, but it does. No attacks work on Giygas, because he is protected by an impenetrable shield. The only thing that does any damage to Giygas is human spirit. This is only one of many disturbing forms of Giygas."

But that means little. In order to defeat Super Dementio in Super Paper Mario, a player needs to get 8 Pure Hearts to make him no longer invincible. Does that make it disturbing? No, not really.

You'll have to say more about these "other forms" or they count for nothing.

"And that is why he is the most disturbing boss in a non horror video game. vote [sic] pro."

My opponent has not refuted any of my claims, at all. All five of the bosses that I mentioned are more disturbing than Giygas. Vote CON.
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

I did try to watch the videos, but YouTube has been encountering numerous errors lately. I tried watching the first one, and it barely loaded before saying an error has occurred. And did I say epic music? I meant that it's very hard to describe. It can't quite put it in words... Anyways, I don't think that any of those bosses are nearly as disturbing as Giygas.

1. So what if he has one eye? some things have 6 eyes. Kirby had a disturbing boss that was an eye! Giygas... I don't really know if he has eyes. When you are battling him, he consumes everything, so I think he has no need for eyes because... I don't know. He keeps changing forms, so I think he's more of a spiritual thing or something. I don't know. Anyways, it's not about it being creepy. It's about it being the most disturbing. Plus, what kind of name is Bongo Bongo? I had almost the same reaction when I found out they changed it from Nintendo Revolution to Wii.

2. Horns out of the side of his head? Really? That's not very disturbing if you ask me. I mean, wouldn't it not even matter if he's invisible? I think that invisible bosses are not disturbing simply because you have to find them to hit them and they have horns. There's a lot of things that have horns. Sheep, Bull, but not disturbing bosses if that's the only disturbing thing about them.

3. Yeah. Giant penguin thing. I saw my friend playing that, and it was not disturbing in any way. I see it has the whole exorcist thing going on with the fangs, spinning head, and ed eyes. How unoriginal. Just because it yells in incomplete sentences, and has a very unoriginal possession thing, that's not disturbing.

4. You know what else exploded in green goo? Mingy Jongo from Banjo-Tooie. At least he had lazers and the whole exorcist thing, too. Red warts? Spongebob has already been covered in red warts, been around purple tentacles, exploded in green goo, and been surrounded by jellyfish all in the same episode! The one where he got sick and ended up getting all these warts and zits that kept popping and spurting ooze. That's much more gross than this thing. Wait, I thought this was about it being disturbing, not gross!

5. Where do I even start. Circle of fire: already been done. Not disturbing. Sure he turned into a boar. Really? Why a boar? Maleficent turned into a giant, evil dragon! And Jafar turned int a giant, evil king cobra! That's better than a boar. Disney movie villains are better than this guy! I mean, how can a boar hold two swords? Come on. Also, how does it being at night make it disturbing? This is why the bosses you chose are not disturbing.

Now, as you requested, I will go into further detail on Giygas's other forms.
Okay. That huge part on Giygas pretty much applies to the whole battle.
http://forum-files2.fobby.net... is basically a deformed version of http://www.freewebs.com... but wait, what's that thing in the middle of the first one? Anyways, this one is Giygas's first form. http://moonside.kontek.net... it moves back and forth in a wave sort of motion until some damage is done. About one or two prayers later, he starts moving around aimlessly, speaking in a little text box. In this text box, the lines from that movie appear, along with Ness's name and some other stuff.
"It hurts, Ness… …I'm h…a…p…p…y… …friends… …It hurts, …it
hurts… Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness,
Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness,
Ness….. …go… b… a… c…k… …Ness… I feel… g… o… o… d…
…I'm so sad… …..Ness

Ness! Ah, Grrr, Ohhh… Argh… Yaaagh!… It's not right… not right…
not right…"

I find that pretty disturbing. And in Giygas's third stage, you can hear a voice speaking. I'm not sure what it says... It's in that YouTube video I posted in round 2. vote pro
mongoose

Con

So far, my opponent has only used pictures as his sources for his arguments. They tell me little. Also, it is more disturbing if it has better graphics, and if it is actually moving.

"1. So what if he has one eye? some [sic] things have 6 eyes. Kirby had a disturbing boss that was an eye! Giygas... I don't really know if he has eyes. When you are battling him, he consumes everything, so I think he has no need for eyes because... I don't know. He keeps changing forms, so I think he's more of a spiritual thing or something. I don't know. Anyways, it's not about it being creepy. It's about it being the most disturbing. Plus, what kind of name is Bongo Bongo? I had almost the same reaction when I found out they changed it from Nintendo Revolution to Wii."

It is disturbing because it is not the norm of two eyes. Six eyes would also be disturbing. My opponent's argument seems to mostly contain "I don't know." Creepy IS disturbing, in most cases, including this one. What kind of name is "Giygas?"

"Horns out of the side of his head? Really? That's not very disturbing if you ask me. I mean, wouldn't it not even matter if he's invisible? I think that invisible bosses are not disturbing simply because you have to find them to hit them and they have horns. There's a lot of things that have horns. Sheep, Bull [sic], but not disturbing bosses if that's the only disturbing thing about them."

I'll add to that. It is very dark and scary looking, especially compared to a fire-head-thing. It is only invisible before you do enough damage as Wolf Link, and when seen through Sense, it looks creppy in many ways. It also turns into bugs which fly away when you beat it. Its not just the horns that make it disturbing.

"3. Yeah. Giant penguin thing. I saw my friend playing that, and it was not disturbing in any way. I see it has the whole exorcist thing going on with the fangs, spinning head, and ed [sic] eyes. How unoriginal. Just because it yells in incomplete sentences, and has a very unoriginal possession thing, that's not disturbing."

It's nothing like a penguin, except for the ice part. King DeDeDe is a penguin. Orginiallity has nothing to do with disturbingness. It is very disturbing.

"4. You know what else exploded in green goo? Mingy Jongo from Banjo-Tooie. At least he had lazers [sic] and the whole exorcist thing, too. Red warts? Spongebob [sic] has already been covered in red warts, been around purple tentacles, exploded in green goo, and been surrounded by jellyfish all in the same episode! The one where he got sick and ended up getting all these warts and zits that kept popping and spurting ooze. That's much more gross than this thing. Wait, I thought this was about it being disturbing, not gross!"

Then Sponge Bob was disturbing.

"5. Where do I even start. Circle of fire: already been done. Not disturbing. Sure he turned into a boar. Really? Why a boar? Maleficent turned into a giant, evil dragon! And Jafar turned int a giant, evil king cobra! That's better than a boar. Disney movie villains are better than this guy! I mean, how can a boar hold two swords? Come on. Also, how does it being at night make it disturbing? This is why the bosses you chose are not disturbing."

Dragons aren't disturbing, they're cool. Same with cobras. Originallity is irrelevant. It can hold two swords because of... magic. What, can you see a boss fight like that in the middle of the day with the sun shining? No, that would ruin the effect.

So, Giygas is a red head, that floats around saying stuff. Not very disturbing in the least.

Vote CON.
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

lillunchboxbandit forfeited this round.
mongoose

Con

All arguments extended.
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

I'm sorry. I was busy.

1. An abnormal amount of eyes alone is not disturbing. Some people are terrified of spider. Some think they are cute. It's all a matter of opinion. Also, the name of a character doesn't matter, unless it's ridiculous. Giygas's name doesn't make sense. Bongo Bongo is just ridiculous. For example, what kind of name is Kirby? It's not a real name. Neither is Bongo Bongo or Giygas. If it is popular, it isn't mocked. Before the Wii came out, people did nothing but talk about the motion control and mock the name. After it came out, people stopped talking about the name. Why? Because it is immensely popular. Most people only know what Earthbound is because of the Super Smash Bros. series. The Legend of Zelda is widely known because it is popular in the US. Fire Emblem hs only had games released in the US because of the Smash Bros. Series. Before that, it was a Japan-only series. The same thing with Stafy who was renamed Starfy after they released a game in the US which yet again was Japan-only until people became curious as to who this mysterious character was in SSBB. This happened yet again with Saki from Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Earth for the N64. That game was Japan-only, and now a sequel set for release in the US is in development because he was an assist trophy from SSBB. Oops. I just got way off track. For that, I apologize.

2. Dark and scary looking? Almost all dramatic boss battles take place in the dark. Not a big deal. Everything probably looks creepy when you can see by smelling. Hold on, you misspelled creepy. In addition, turning into bugs is not creepy. It is gross. Just like people exploding into goo. Gross is not disturbing.

3. Yes, it does look like a penguin. I can tell you as many times s I have to. It looks like a penguin. Originality has everything to do with it being disturbing. At the time hat Friday the 13th part 3 (when he got his mask) came out, People in hockey masks killing people was a new idea. Now, anything that isn't Friday the 13th that has a murderer in a hockey mask is considered a parody of the series, like Splatterhouse. Of course, the background story and quality of the films also is an important factor. If the film's quality was bad, then they wouldn't have made several sequels, leading up to the infamous hockey mask. If there wasn't a good background story, people would be confused, it wouldn't be as successful as it was, and again, no hockey mask. Dang. Getting off track again.

4. That is was.

5. Sure dragons and cobras are cool, but boars aren't. Again, originality almost always matters. Magic? A boar holding two swords is very hard to picture. I understand the battle wouldn't be as good if it wasn't dark, but that applies with almost anything. For example, there's no such thing as a horror movie taking place during the day. Can you imagine Friday the 13th during the day? Exactly. Besides, this is about the boss itself, not the scenery.

It's true that Giygas just floats around and says stuff, but the events leading up to the battle, the background story, the fact that he is made out of fear, and one important detail I forgot, make him disturbing. Have you even played Earthbound and beaten Giygas? Anyways, Ness and his friends transfer their souls to robot bodies, because organic material cannot travel to Giygas's lair because of something with the time-space continuum that I don't remember. So, the first battle in Giygas's lair is with Pokey (now known as Porky) and Giygas (not his real form). Giygas apears as some sort of thing with Ness's lifeless body. http://1.bp.blogspot.com... That's pretty disturbing. This is why Giygas is the most disturbing boss in a non-horror video game. vote pro.
mongoose

Con

"It's all a matter of opinion."

Disturbing in general is a matter of opinion. And who thinks spiders are cute? Never seen anyone think that.

"Also, the name of a character doesn't matter, unless it's ridiculous. Giygas's name doesn't make sense. Bongo Bongo is just ridiculous. For example, what kind of name is Kirby?"

Why is Bongo Bongo "rediculous?" You give no explanation. Kirby is a real name. He was named after a vaccuum company, or a lawyer, nobody knows which. http://kirby.wikia.com...

"2. Dark and scary looking? Almost all dramatic boss battles take place in the dark. Not a big deal. Everything probably looks creepy when you can see by smelling. Hold on, you misspelled creepy. In addition, turning into bugs is not creepy. It is gross. Just like people exploding into goo. Gross is not disturbing."

Not much looks creepy through smelling. Ice looks really cool. Turning into bugs is very disturbing.

"3. Yes, it does look like a penguin. I can tell you as many times s I have to. It looks like a penguin."

I'll tell as many times as I have to that she does not look like a penguin. The rest of the argument was about originality, and but that doesn't matter, because it would still be disturbing.

"4. That is was."

What? That makes no sense. It looks like my opponent conceded, but I can't be sure.

"Magic? A boar holding two swords is very hard to picture."

It's already pictured on the video I gave in the first round.

...."and one important detail I forgot"...."because of something with the time-space continuum that I don't remember"...

This is a weak argument, with no sources to back it up. Porky? The guy in SSBB? That wasn't disturbing.

In conclusion, my opponent has done nothing to back up his arguments, and has conceded at least one of them. I have constantly refuted my opponent's points.

Vote CON.
Posted by ReturnfromStyx 7 years ago
ReturnfromStyx
On the side of PRO:
Giygas is not merely a "floating head that says stuff." He was a powerful alien who threatened to destroy the world. The heroes are tasked with traveling back in time to a point when he is most vulnerable. When they find him, he is trapped inside a semi-organic machine that acts as life support. When it is opened, Giygas is waiting for them, but doesn't move until provoked. This, along with such phrases as 'It hurts,' 'I am sad,' and his repeating of the word Ness, combined with the fact that the character itself was the brain-child of a rape seen in a movie, leads people to believe that Giygas is, at this point in time, still a fetus, only wishing to have its pain ended while the heroes attack it. It is calling out to Ness in the hopes that Ness will relent. This idea of killing an innocent being that is not even born is, yes, disturbing. His cries for mercy are unnoticed by the heroes, and they relentlessly attack him. When killed, he tells them that he is happy, for his pain has ended. The idea of a fetus being glad it is dead because it was being attacked is disturbing as well.

On the side of CON:
As with many cases, the idea of mutating a human into a beast is disturbing. The psychological aspect of such terrible perversity of the humans physical identity is both strange and unsound, and has, for centuries, been unnerving to societies. This is shown in such cases as witches morphing humans into animals for doing them wrong, and is terrifying to these cultures. This is why Ganon transforming is indeed disturbing. Death Sword is a call to the image of Death, and who, simply put, does not fear death? It is inescapable, we cannot see it, just as Death Sword cannot be seen. Blizzeta is a reference to possession, and the aspect of being unable to control oneself is disturbing. A docile creature that is forced to be monstrous is understandably unnerving.

Both sides show examples of what is disturbing, and I find them both to be interestin
Posted by mongoose 7 years ago
mongoose
That's called a Reason For Decision. You're supposed to put those.
Posted by lillunchboxbandit 7 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
exactly my point!
Posted by Lifeisgood 7 years ago
Lifeisgood
I honestly didn't find ANY of Con's examples at all disturbing. Weird, yes, but not disturbing.
Posted by lillunchboxbandit 7 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
I know you won, but it's still kind of rude to keep going on about it and describe how you won! Also, I don't have horrible grammar. My keyboard is annoyingly unresponsive. I'm not using that as an excuse, by the way.
Posted by mongoose 7 years ago
mongoose
RFD:
B/A: CON
Conduct: CON, PRO forfeited a round
Spelling and Grammar: CON, PRO's was horrible
"That is was."
"I can tell you as many times s I have to."
"vote pro."
...and more
Arguments: CON, CON refuted the points better, and PRO didn't refute anything in Round 2.
Sources: CON. A picture speaks a thousand words, a video speaks a thousand pictures.
Posted by JSquires 7 years ago
JSquires
Just about any Final Fantasy Boss would be more disturbing, (i.e. Sephiroth, Ultimecia, Kefka, Kuja, etc.). Also, what about Atlas from Bioshock or, although he's not technically a boss, the Big Daddy. Then there is the hilariously disturbing Mighty Poo from Conkers Bad Fur Day, all are much more disturbing in my opinion.
Posted by lillunchboxbandit 7 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
what about it, mongeese? It provides me with a much greater challenge, but I wouldn't call it unfair.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
The fact that PRO has only one boss to argue about while CON is currently using five...
Posted by mongoose 7 years ago
mongoose
Darn, I was trying to get each description to go next to the video. Oh well.
Vote Placed by thomasbradley 6 years ago
thomasbradley
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied
Vote Placed by alto2osu 7 years ago
alto2osu
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago
JBlake
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied
Vote Placed by SaintNick 7 years ago
SaintNick
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied
Vote Placed by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied
Vote Placed by lillunchboxbandit 7 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
lillunchboxbanditmongooseTied