norang
Overhead

Glass Bottles are better than Cans

Overhead

norang

Pro

I go with glass bottles. They can be easily melted after use and then shaped into different objects/materials. For instamce; instead of another glass bottle it can be made into a small vase oe.
Overhead

Con

Thanks to PRO for making this argument.

In fact glass bottles cannot be easily melted after use, with the different types (clear, brown, green, etc) all containing different trace elements that need to be handled differently. Due to this "sorting facilities usually separate brown, green, and clear bottles from one another before processing, a laborious and pricey endeavor. It takes a lot of energy to rid green glass, in particular, of the metals (such as iron and copper) that are used to tint it, and there's little market for the stuff once it's been recycled; as a result, a lot of towns don't even bother to recycle your Heineken empties."[1] Though they can be reused, it's hardly easy and the lack of market means that they often end up in landfills.

In fact the one claim that PRO makes in support of glass can actually be applied to aluminium! Aluminium can not only be recycled, but as a valuable resource used in lots of different industries (like auto manufacture) it is highly sought after. There is in fact little limit to the amount of aluminium that can be recycled beyond public willingness and the provision of the proper facilities. Even a nation that's not at the forefront of technology or GDP like Brazil is able to recycle an astonishing 98.2% of its aluminium cans[2].

Although it's possible to recycle glass, people frequently don't bother because it's time consuming, expensive and it's easy to make glass in the first place - so those bottles just end up in landfills no matter what the ideal PRO presents might be. Meanwhile recycling aluminium only takes 5% of the energy of creating the same amount of aluminium from scratch so it is a cost-effective and economical way to reuse the material[3].

Lastly, this is something that has been investigated with scientific studies, with the results finding that "The drink in glass bottles is the worst option" in terms of the lifetime environmental impact.[4] While polyethylene terephthalate bottles are considered the best option, aluminium cans are still ranked ahead of glass bottles.

[1] http://goo.gl...
[2] http://goo.gl...
[3] https://goo.gl...
[4] http://goo.gl...
norang

Pro

norang forfeited this round.
Overhead

Con

As PRO FF and I believe me R1 argument already rebutts his R1 argument, I don't have much more to add.
norang

Pro

norang forfeited this round.
Overhead

Con

As per my previous statement, I extend my argument.
norang

Pro

norang forfeited this round.
Overhead

Con

Final extension. I think I countered all points and laid out my case well in R1 using relevant sources, please vote CON for sources, conduct and argument.
Posted by norang 10 months ago
norang
Thats were the problem lies. Are cans healthy enough to be used?
Posted by KRTxBallistic 10 months ago
KRTxBallistic
Why not just use the glass for other things, and use cans instead then?
Vote Placed by Adam_Godzilla 9 months ago
Adam_Godzilla
norangOverheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Wonderful debate. FF by Pro.