DylanGafarian
Kellison

Glasses are better than Contacts

DylanGafarian

Pro

Having worn glasses for the past 6 years I believe it is a safer way to see then using contact lenses. Contact lenses have many safety hazards. If you do not change your contacts often i.e. everyday you can get an infection in your eye. Eye glasses are also easier to take care of. You do not need to buy chemicals to clean them, which also pose a hazard to your health. Eye glasses are great because you can change your entire look. These are just a few reasons why glasses are better.
Kellison

Con

Contacts are then glasses because when it rains you do not need to have an umbrella. Contacts allow you to use your peripheral vision, unlike glasses which you must turn your entire head to look at something. This is not good for many professions. I want to be a police officer and wearing glasses would impair my peripheral vision. Glasses are not always a safer than contacts. When you are out walking down the street and your glasses crack there is potential for the lens to go into your eyes. When you wear contacts you can wear sun glasses. In the summer it is necessary to wear sunglasses so you want to have the ability to put on contacts.
DylanGafarian

Pro

Contacts are not a safe choice. I do agree with you on the peripheral vision argument. They do tend to get in the way of my peripherals. To add to your statement of glasses looking unprofessional. I would have to disagree I believe that most people who wear glasses tend to look more studious as well as professional. I recently read an article that said that managers and bosses tend to hire a person with glasses rather than without them. Again I would have to disagree with you about contacts being more safe than glasses. My sister recently had a very poor encounter with contacts. She had an infection in her eye and because of the contacts it caused her infection to worsen. Due to this infection she almost lost her vision in her left eye. Also I find wearing sunglasses easier when they are perception glasses. But also I see the other side of it. Having precipitation sunglasses I find it a pain to have to take them off and bring my regular glasses as well. But again I have to say the pros out way the cons, glasses are better than contacts.
Kellison

Con

First off I never said wearing glasses are unprofessional. I said that they can cause you to lose your peripheral vision which is not good for many professions. Your sister now that is a rare reaction. I wore contacts for four years and never once had a problem. You have to change them periodically which may be seen as annoying whereas glasses you just wake up and put on with easy. Contacts are a little more time consuming to put on but save time throughout your day. You do not need to turn your neck all the way to look at something on right or left. This can also lead into neck strain especially when driving. Checking your blind spot can be a simple task with contacts on. With glasses it is more of a painful task.
DylanGafarian

Pro

I am sorry you are completely correct I miss read that part.... Sure, you could call losing your vision a rare reaction but getting an infection is not. And it is far less likely to get an infection from wearing glasses. I too wore contacts for some portion of my life and I found myself having to worrying if I hit the eight hour mark and I still have them on. After a certain period of time you have to take them off... which means you have to bring more supplies to change them, if you are out of your home. Also in the morning don't you find it harder to get them in. You previously noted that with glasses you just get up and go. With contacts you have to sit there wait to wake up more so your eyes are wider then put them in. Which as you stated far my time consuming. Also lets look at the cost fact. Glasses are a one time fee for a reduce price opposed to contacts which are a one time fee for a few months supply at a greater price. Also don't forget about the fee for the supplies need for contacts:cases, solution and other necessities. Glasses are less maintenance and less expensive as well as a great style changer.
Kellison

Con

Kellison forfeited this round.
DylanGafarian

Pro

Hope all is well. Shall we continue?
Kellison

Con

Kellison forfeited this round.
DylanGafarian

Pro

Well from the lack of response I will take it that this debate is over. But I shall leave you with some parting words. Glasses are better than contacts. From a physical aspect, they change your style each time you get a different pair. But from a more important level, vision. I believe it to be the safer choice as well as a more clear vision.
Once again thank you for the debate.
Kellison

Con

Kellison forfeited this round.