mightbenihilism
EliteMadMan

Glazed donuts are sinful

mightbenihilism

Pro

Glazed donuts are a sin in all religions. Whether you are a Jew, a Muslim, a Christian, a Buddhist, Hindu or Sikh, eating glazed donuts is the sin of gluttony.

Consider this: a glazed donut is needlessly rich. The donut itself is already tasty enough. To "glaze" it with a fructose-based paste (deceptively called "honey") is to increase the donut's flavor beyond what is necessary. It is already sweet and good enough: why are you adding more sweetness to it?

The burden of proof is upon the Con to demonstrate the following:

a. that a glazed donut is not immoral
b. that willfully eating said donut is not a sin
c. that human pigs who eat glazed donuts are somehow not gluttonous pigs

No ad hominem attacks, please! I will defeat you, but I will do it nicely. You may begin your argument in round 1.
EliteMadMan

Con

Everything this person has said is false. Everyone loves donuts, if you don't then you don't know what you are missing. I don't know what was going on when you submitted this for a debate but you sure weren't in your right mind.
mightbenihilism

Pro

It is a sobering experience to be accused of not being in the proper mind by an "EliteMadMan." Were it a "sub-parMadMan", I might not be so taken aback. Godwilling, I will recover, though.

The Con writes, "Everyone loves donuts, if you don't then you don't know what you are missing. I don't know what was going on when you submitted this for a debate but you sure weren't in your right mind."

Gluttony is defined as "an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires."
http://www.deadlysins.com...

Of course people "love" donuts because, did they not, they could not be gluttonous towards them. I am not a glutton for doing my taxes each because taxes are a living hell and I am too cheap to pay someone else to do them. The Con demonstrates they clearly have no idea of what "gluttony" is. Perhaps English is not their first language.

Look at the nutritional scores of a modern donut:

http://nutritiondata.self.com...

It is chock full of carbs and fat, but low on vitamins. Even the types of fats and carbs it has are not the best kind but, rather, those which are most readily broken down into artery-clogging fats and triglyceride-raising and glucose-level spiking sugars. Unlike more fibrous carbs or fruit sugars, the body does its worst with these. Considering this, how can anyone eat them but a snorting, piggish glutton?

This website gives an overview of the teachings of the major faiths when it comes to indulging in donuts:

http://www.beliefnet.com...

Anyway, if donuts aren't a sin, the Con will need to do a better job of proving it. Your amateurish and ineloquent assertions do little to help your cause.
EliteMadMan

Con

Pro Writes:
"Gluttony is defined as "an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires."

http://www.deadlysins.com......

http://nutritiondata.self.com......

It is chock full of carbs and fat, but low on vitamins. Even the types of fats and carbs it has are not the best kind but, rather, those which are most readily broken down into artery-clogging fats and triglyceride-raising and glucose-level spiking sugars. Unlike more fibrous carbs or fruit sugars, the body does its worst with these. Considering this, how can anyone eat them but a snorting, piggish glutton?"
___________________________________________________
First off, the first couple of sentences you wrote were very funny. Thank you.
Now,
Everything that he wrote in the paragraphs above is completely irrelevant to this case. We are not hear to discuss how many donuts you should eat a day or how donuts are not good for you. Last time I checked, the title of this argument was "Glazed donuts are sinful". We are here to discuss whether or not they are sinful to religion. My opponent clearly shows no evidence and I am starting to wonder whether or not you know about this topic...................

About the link ------------------------ It shows no evidence about it being a sin to a religion. It only talks about how it is unhealty to eat donuts.
mightbenihilism

Pro

If gluttony is "inordinate", then the caloric and nutritional balance of a donut must be taken into account when considering whether it is gluttonous and, therefore, sinful:

Inordinate means "not within proper or reasonable limits; immoderate; excessive"

"Excessive" "limits" "moderate" all pertain to numerical amounts and, when relating to food, not only pertain to the amount of food eaten, but to the amount of calories. So when the Con writes, "We are not hear to discuss how many donuts you should eat a day or how donuts are not good for you" this is an out-and-out lie.

Obviously, gluttony implies excess and therefore "how many" applies.

To cite an example from Christendom, the Apostle Paul writes, "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are." (1 Corinthians 3:16-17)

The Con didn't mention the site I posted which, clearly, shows what a meticulous researcher and deep thinker the Con is. To make it country-bumpkin-obvious to you, though, here are the major religions and their teachings on gluttony:

Buddhism: Buddhism encourages avoidance of sensory excess. The third Buddhist precept is the avoidance of excess of sex, but many Buddhists interpret this precept as avoiding gluttony in all areas. Buddhists try to transcend the senses but this is not necessarily achieved through suffering.

Christianity and Judaism: The book of Proverbs states, "Be not among winebibbers,or among gluttonous eaters of meat; for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and drowsiness will clothe a man with rags. (Proverbs 23:20-21)."

Hinduism: Hinduism teaches the importance of avoiding excess in several areas of life, including food consumption. The Hindu text the Tirukkural warns against overeating: "The thoughtless glutton who gorges himself beyond his digestive fire's limits will be consumed by limitless ills (95:947)."

All from http://www.beliefnet.com...

Islam is here: http://www.java-man.com...

The list goes on.

You are sadly mistaken if you believe eating a glazed donut is either healthy or spiritually lawful. They are not. Donuts offer no nutritional value and are eaten purely for the unalloyed pleasure of scrumptiousness they offer. They have a disproportionate amount of bad calories in lieu of their vitamins, too. AND THEY'RE CARCINOGEIC - OH NOOO!!:

http://www.livestrong.com...

"Doughnuts are the culmination of three major classes of cancer causing foods; they are deep-fried, contain high levels of sugars and are based on heavily refined carbohydrates. The combination of by-products from the frying process together with heavy amounts of sugar and processed flour make doughnuts particularly risky to those hoping to reduce cancer risk."

The Con is clearly out to lunch and is probably having a donut for lunch! Probably eating a whole baker's dozen of 'em, all different flavors and washing them down with a piping hot mug of coffee! Probably watching C-Span, too, while they're at it! You've cranked the sin amp to 11, Con, and if there is a God, he's scowling at you for sure!
EliteMadMan

Con

EliteMadMan forfeited this round.
mightbenihilism

Pro

Yep. Sinful as heck!
EliteMadMan

Con

EliteMadMan forfeited this round.
Posted by gryephon 2 years ago
gryephon
I don't think you can have bold letters in comments.. at least, I haven't seen any.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
dangit
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
I am testing to see if I know how to make bold letters: <b>bold letters</b>
Posted by gryephon 2 years ago
gryephon
@mightbenihilism

What, orgies? I always thought atheists were ravishing in those sexual pleasures almost daily... If I was an atheist i would be banging a bunch of ladies by now.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
So what are you, elitemadman? Agnostic?
Posted by EliteMadMan 2 years ago
EliteMadMan
lol, I never said I was atheist
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Show outs to all those who supported me in this debate:

Atmas, cheyennebodie, Emilrose and gryephon!

It wouldn't have been possible without you! You are the reason I began this debate! Don't forget to live legendarily!

(Oh man, giving a "shout out" was just as cringeworthy as I thought it would be. Never again!)
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
@gryephon

I never realized atheists did that sort of thing. No wonder the Soviet Union fell.
Posted by gryephon 2 years ago
gryephon
I can see why gluttony might be sinful to the atheist... It would certainly make their orgies an unpleasurable experience... Having sex with a 500+ lb woman on top of you is disturbing on a number of levels.

So if excessive glazed donuts causes gluttony, why is it not a sin?
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
@ cheyennebodie - you and I don't always see eye to eye, but I'm really liking what you're saying here.

@elitemadman - YOU don't even have a religion and you're seriously arguing that donuts aren't sinful? Who'se your God, huh? Charles Darwin? Steven Hawkwing?