Global Poverty, Education, and hunger are greater issues than global warming/ climate change

Round 1 is acceptance. I will be arguing that Global Poverty, Education, and hunger are greater issues than global warming/ climate change. My opponent will be arguing the opposite. Round 2 is the opening statements, Round 3 will be the Refutations, and Round 4 will be the conclusion. Looking forward to debating with you!

I thank my opponent for this opportunity.
I will be arguing against the statement that "Global Poverty, Education, and hunger are greater issues than global climate change."
I will begin by defining my terms and clarifying my argument:

Poverty: The state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support; condition of being poor.

Education: The act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.

Hunger :A compelling need or desire for food.

Greater: Unusually or comparatively large in size or dimensions.

Issue: A point in question or a matter that is in dispute, as between contending parties in an action at law.

Climate change: A long-term change in the earth's climate, especially a change due to an increase in the average atmospheric temperature.

All definitions were directly quoted from
The context of all key terms and words should be understood otherwise I will further elaborate.

When the instigator refers to the issue of education I am assuming that they are talking about the lack of free education in specific countries. Also, I assume that hunger is an Issue that is attached to poverty as a result.
With that being said, I understand that lack of education and hunger are typically effects that are caused by poverty.

I am arguing against this claim because I do not believe that it is true.
I do believe that poverty is a serious issue.
I do believe that every country should allow free education through the 12 grade.
I also believe that hunger and death from malnutrition are Important issues.

But, I argue that none of these three issues are as important as Climate change.
Here's why: Poverty, and the issues surrounding it such as hunger and education effect a select few. Climate change effects every single person living on Earth and every single person who ever will live on Earth.

That is my argument, I look forward to this debate.

jxc2000 forfeited this round.

I see that you have forfeited the round.

This argument is important to me so I would like to ask what I can do in order to convince you.

That is, what can I do, as a debater, to change your mind and make you believe me?

All you have to do is tell me what that is and I will go and get it.

I would also like to provide more evidence:
In a TED talk by Bill Gates called "Innovating to Zero," the richest man on earth describes the movement towards Zero C02 emissions by 2050. The way that this will happen is through the expansion of renewable energy infrastructure. Now, in reference to this talk, Bill Gates claims that this effort will also greatly reduce poverty as an extra beneficial result. The biggest reason why this is true is because renewable energy structures, in areas of poverty, will greatly increase the standard of living. This is because small villages and communities of extreme poverty are not usually anywhere near an energy grid.

Firstly I would like to apologize to my opponent for missing the last round. it was not my intention to miss the debate, simply the fact that time river and my studies in school demand much of its water.

Now on to my argument

Climate change is an issue. It is definitely going to have major consequences on us in the future if we don't do anything. However, Poverty, education, and hunger are all immediate issues. People are suffering right now and dying right now because of it.

I believe that by declaring war on poverty, lack of knowledge, and hunger, the consequences given by climate change will be much reduced if not completely removed

Firstly, People who are educated poorly practice bad habits that could be avoided if they were properly educated. for example, the practices of mass chopping of trees, excessive fishing, and actions that produce emissions are performed by those who do not know the full extent of what can be caused in the future if they do not change their ways.

Also, educating more people puts more minds to work on solutions to the issues at hand. By putting more effort into allowing people in poverty to obtain the financial recourses to obtain an education, more people will be at work armed with knowledge to help combat climate change.

Which leads me to my next point; poverty. Poverty can be defined as "a financial state in which one is not able obtain the basic necessities such as food, water, clothing, etc.". As in your earlier statement, the issues from climate change is a long term issue with plans that don't take effect until 2050, while poverty is causing people to suffer right now. By lessening poverty, we reduce crime rates, increase overall happiness, and make the country more progressive in every way such as services and infrastructure. More jobs, and the economy will roll, allowing people to buy more things, and once again, improve technology.

As for convincing me as a debater, You would have to prove to me that Climate change is a more immediate problem, and that solving it would create more of an overall benefit for the human race

Once again im sorry for not being present for the previous round and i will do my best to be present for the final round

I understand the argument.

First, 2050 is a projection given by Bill Gates for zero emissions throughout the whole world IF serious and drastic changes are made in reducing of C02 levels. It's not that they wouldn't take effect until 2050 but rather that humans have to work very hard to reach that point by 2050. I did not mean to attack that specific part of the argument but I just wanted to make that clear.

Now, with that being said, this ties into my argument which is that global warming is a greater issue than poverty.

That is, global warming is effecting us now, as I have said before.
Drastic changes are already being made right now in order to make an attempt at reaching that goal of Zero C02 emissions by 2050.
So, I must make it clear that climate change is a problem that is effecting all humans, right her and now.

Some current effects of climate change are...
-Increased coastal flooding and sea level rise.
-More damaging wildfires.
-More severe droughts.
-More severe deforestation.
-More severe health risks to humans by pollution.
...Just to name a few
-This website run by the Union of Concerned Scientists evaluates the situation properly.

So, as far as the immediacy of this issue I would argue that is is more so than poverty because it effects everyone one on Earth and mostly because it takes LONGER to fix.

Poverty is an immediate issue currently effecting many people but climate change is also immediate and will take much longer to resolve.

Finally, I would also like to state that the solutions for climate change coincide with the solutions for poverty.
Just as an example, the Tesla Power Wall allows consumers to store energy that is collected by solar panels, and use it anytime they want. This will prove to be extremely useful for underdeveloped areas which are not anywhere near a power grid.

In reference to that statement, I argue that solving the climate change issue first would be more beneficial to the human race than attempting the vice-versa option which you are arguing. While I agree that educating people will lead to the reduction of global climate change, I think that by the time every underdeveloped country catches up in education, it will be too late for the earth.

With that, I do believe that global climate change is a greater issue than poverty, and that focusing attention on that would be better for the human race.

jxc2000 forfeited this round.

12345t forfeited this round.