heyitsjay
InfraRedEd

Global Warming Exists

heyitsjay

heyitsjay

Pro

For my opening statement/introduction, I will continue by defining the main topic, global warming.

"Global Warming": Is the dramatic increase in global temperature in both the air and ocean.

Global warming is caused by the excessive release of co2 (carbon dioxide) into the air. These released amounts of carbon dioxide gather in the ozone layer, which is supposed to protect the world from the sun's dangerous ultra violent rays. When the co2 is in the ozone layer, instead of defending the world from the heat, it absorbs it. This is where "global warming" comes from. It literally is like it sounds. When this heat is in the ozone, it causes serious climatic changes in many regions through out the world.

One of the issues that attracts most of the world is the rapid melting of the ice caps located in the Antarctic region. When the ice caps melt, it adds to the oceans around the world. This rapid increase of water amount can lead to flooding and the disruption of the North Atlantic Current. This also contributes to climate changes. Flooding would have to attain most of the world's attention. This is primarily due to major cities that lie on the coasts of regions. An example of why this issue is most important is the fact that one of the last pieces that broke off the ice caps was about the size of Rhode Island. I would ask viewers to think of the amount of water that is and image how much exactly that adds to the ocean.

For the voters' concerns...I will post links that consist of information about global warming:

http://www.epa.gov...
http://www.globalwarming.org...
http://topics.nytimes.com...#

Now please if my opponent would be so kind and proceed with his/her opening statement and state his/her reasoning....
Thank you!
InfraRedEd

Con

Well my opponent is certainly not the type to go out on a limb but let's give him a little more mixed metaphor and a little more rope anyway.

http://www.finitesite.com...

None of the above is an argument so no need to dissect it.

We are just in the process of negotiating a fair debate topic. That is all I ask.
heyitsjay

Pro

Well, my opponent has asked that we negotiate a more specific and fair topic but since I have no way of contacting him at the time, I cannot make any further arguments. I just would like it if both sides were capable of giving descent arguments and having a fair position for or against a topic that is a little less broad. So I stand my ground.
InfraRedEd

Con

OK we're on. Global warming exists and at least world leaders are aware of the problem and are holding conferences and meetings to try and solve it.

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch exists and world leaders are not aware of the problem and nobody has come up with any reasonable way to cope with the situation except to make it worse.

http://www.naturalnews.com...
heyitsjay

Pro

The negative has not yet stated enough evidence for me to make any opposing arguments. So I argue the same facts I have in the previous arguments.

Therefore, I rest my case....
InfraRedEd

Con

My opponent has not yet stated enough evidence for me to make any opposing arguments.
Simply pointing to the library and saying "it's all there" is not evidence.
Preferable would be at least an absract of an article from a peer-reviewed journal in the subject.
My opponent has failed to even acknowledge the existence of my first-round YouTube post which remains the only evidence submitted so far.
Posted by heyitsjay 8 years ago
heyitsjay
Well, I sort of dispute this and on the other hand agree with it. Global Warming is natural like for example the ice age. Obviously there were no excessive amounts of CO2 being released into the air since mechanics and factories didn't exists. However, humans do of course affect the rate and conditions in which global warming occurs. We affect what could possibly happen and we affect the rate at which it happens. But I agree with global warming being natural, not man-made.
Posted by mokody 8 years ago
mokody
Yes there is global warming. There is also global cooling. it is sad that humans believe in the minuscule time we have been on the earth that we can make a drastic change. We can't make the earth warm or cool. We need to notice that the earth is more powerful than us and it will do what it wants.
Posted by sherlockmethod 8 years ago
sherlockmethod
Pro won hands down, but RedEd, in his special style did posit a source - not a great one, but one Pro never really addressed. Pro won this one anyway.
Posted by InfraRedEd 8 years ago
InfraRedEd
Look (again) at the clip I submitted in Round 1. Ross McKitrick on the left.
Ross McKitrick appeared on the Michael Coren Show last year (I haven't either). He presented the story of the IPCC report, the hockey stick, the MWP and LIA, his partner's attempt to get the computer code, and the Congressional investigation which subpoenaed it, and the panels' conclusion that the data did not support Mann's conclusion, the problem being the inclusion of the bistlecone pines and overweighing them. He describes a reconstrucion of the study without the bristlecone pine tree data which removes not only the hockey stick but also the MWP and LIA. He also promoted his and his partner's book "Taken By Storm" and trashed the peer review process as a closed group. He asserts that the paleoclimatologists have formed a "closed group," using the peer review process to exclude, well, Steve McIntyre and himself and he does not mention anyone else. The National Academy however, presumably by not admitting these paleo ruffians, has declared that bistlecone pines (Pinus aristida Englm.) are not reliable indicators of climate data. I would certainly like to see that opinion.
Linah Ababneh has declared such an opinion but she is not the National Academy and is not on track to get there anytime soon. "I would rather be water boarded at Guantanamo Bay than take a class with this woman again," declares a student, in http://www.ratemyprofessors.com..., but it looks like we are headed for another Congressional investigation.

Did you actually view this? One point. And you bought it? Minus ten. Critical thought is the answer.
Posted by heyitsjay 8 years ago
heyitsjay
Because my opponent is not excepting messages currently, I will post this on the comments page. If my opponent sees this I would like to negotiate the topic or stretch it out into a more specific meaning....
what I have in mind is whether the topic is a hoax or not but that will be talked over with my debater.
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 8 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
Are you arguing man-made or not?
Posted by heyitsjay 8 years ago
heyitsjay
wow...Temple city...lol small world huh!?
Posted by heyitsjay 8 years ago
heyitsjay
Yeah I understand yoru reasoning. I have heard though many people believe that global warming doesnt exists. I just thought to make a debate about it and if there just so happens to be someone who would partake in this debate, please do so.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
Oh, and by the way, your highschool sucks.
Vote Placed by Brock_Meyer 8 years ago
Brock_Meyer
heyitsjayInfraRedEdTied
Vote Placed by FlashFire 8 years ago
FlashFire
heyitsjayInfraRedEdTied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 8 years ago
sherlockmethod
heyitsjayInfraRedEdTied
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 8 years ago
pcmbrown
heyitsjayInfraRedEdTied
Vote Placed by TheRaven 8 years ago
TheRaven
heyitsjayInfraRedEdTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
heyitsjayInfraRedEdTied
Vote Placed by Vakama888 8 years ago
Vakama888
heyitsjayInfraRedEdTied
Vote Placed by MasterDebaterMK 8 years ago
MasterDebaterMK
heyitsjayInfraRedEdTied