emospongebob527
hghppjfan

Global Warming Exists

emospongebob527

emospongebob527

Pro

The Earth is Warming

We know the planet is warming from surface temperature stations and satellites measuring the temperature of the Earth's surface and lower atmosphere. We also have various tools which have measured the warming of the Earth's oceans. Satellites have measured an energy imbalance at the top of the Earth's atmosphere. Glaciers, sea ice, and ice sheets are all receding. Sea levels are rising. Spring is arriving sooner each year. There's simply no doubt - the planet is warming.

http://www.skepticalscience.com...
hghppjfan

Con

Okay, I will accept your debate. can you do an acceptance round for the second round and I will rebuttal you for my second round? It will make things much better.
emospongebob527

Pro

Ok, I will willingly accept your proposition....... Therefore: I accept...........

Premises-

Rounds: 3

Voting Period: 3 days

Arguing Time: 72 hours

Maximum Argument Characters: 8,000
hghppjfan

Con

Thank You for not adding more points.

Rebuttals:
"We know the planet is warming from surface temperature stations and satellites measuring the temperature of the Earth's surface and lower atmosphere. We also have various tools which have measured the warming of the Earth's oceans. Satellites have measured an energy imbalance at the top of the Earth's atmosphere. Glaciers, sea ice, and ice sheets are all receding. Sea levels are rising. Spring is arriving sooner each year. There's simply no doubt - the planet is warming."

A. That case is not true. 2011 was the second coldest year since 2000. This proves that the weather is, in fact, cooling. Don't forget, we had a huge snowstorm in October last year that caused many schools to cancel for the day. That is why the globe is not warming up.
emospongebob527

Pro

"That case is not true. 2011 was the second coldest year since 2000. This proves that the weather is, in fact, cooling. Don't forget, we had a huge snowstorm in October last year that caused many schools to cancel for the day. That is why the globe is not warming up."

My opponent seems to think that a change in the weather for a period of a year or months or days, has to do with global climate change.

The flaw in this interpretation is in drawing conclusions about long term climate change over a relatively short period of 13 months. Particularly when a large portion of that cooling occured over one month. Only over a period of years to decades can you confidently discern climate trends. Otherwise, you run the danger of mistaking weather for climate.

http://www.skepticalscience.com...

http://www.skeptic.com...
hghppjfan

Con

hghppjfan forfeited this round.
emospongebob527

Pro

It seems that my opponent is absent and her timer ran out, hopefully she comes back because it's been a good debate.

Vote Pro
hghppjfan

Con

I only missed because I have not been on my computer for a while.

Here is my arguement again from my response in the second round:

"The flaw in this interpretation is in drawing conclusions about long term climate change over a relatively short period of 13 months. Particularly when a large portion of that cooling occured over one month. Only over a period of years to decades can you confidently discern climate trends. Otherwise, you run the danger of mistaking weather for climate."

A. Don't forget, I said that the fact was that 2011 was the SECOND coldest month since 2000, so it has been colder (source is on my commet, same with second round).

"It seems that my opponent is absent and her timer ran out, hopefully she comes back because it's been a good debate."

A. Why thank you, same here!
emospongebob527

Pro

"Don't forget, I said that the fact was that 2011 was the SECOND coldest month since 2000, so it has been colder"

Again my good adversary, you're mistaking yearly weather patterns for Global Climate Change, which is only evident if shown prominent over the course of decades, which it has. Here take this diagram for instance:

http://www.edf.org...

This is biological proof Global Warming exists.............

This is my closing argument:

Glaciers are melting, sea levels are rising, cloud forests are drying, and wildlife is scrambling to keep pace. It's becoming clear that humans have caused most of the past century's warming by releasing heat-trapping gases as we power our modern lives. Called greenhouse gases, their levels are higher now than in the last 650,000 years.

We call the result global warming, but it is causing a set of changes to the Earth's climate, or long-term weather patterns, that varies from place to place. As the Earth spins each day, the new heat swirls with it, picking up moisture over the oceans, rising here, settling there. It's changing the rhythms of climate that all living things have come to rely upon.

What will we do to slow this warming? How will we cope with the changes we've already set into motion? While we struggle to figure it all out, the face of the Earth as we know it"coasts, forests, farms and snow-capped mountains"hangs in the balance.

Greenhouse effect

The "greenhouse effect" is the warming that happens when certain gases in Earth's atmosphere trap heat. These gases let in light but keep heat from escaping, like the glass walls of a greenhouse.

First, sunlight shines onto the Earth's surface, where it is absorbed and then radiates back into the atmosphere as heat. In the atmosphere, "greenhouse" gases trap some of this heat, and the rest escapes into space. The more greenhouse gases are in the atmosphere, the more heat gets trapped.

Scientists have known about the greenhouse effect since 1824, when Joseph Fourier calculated that the Earth would be much colder if it had no atmosphere. This greenhouse effect is what keeps the Earth's climate livable. Without it, the Earth's surface would be an average of about 60 degrees Fahrenheit cooler. In 1895, the Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius discovered that humans could enhance the greenhouse effect by making carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas. He kicked off 100 years of climate research that has given us a sophisticated understanding of global warming.

Levels of greenhouse gases (GHGs) have gone up and down over the Earth's history, but they have been fairly constant for the past few thousand years. Global average temperatures have stayed fairly constant over that time as well, until recently. Through the burning of fossil fuels and other GHG emissions, humans are enhancing the greenhouse effect and warming Earth.

Scientists often use the term "climate change" instead of global warming. This is because as the Earth's average temperature climbs, winds and ocean currents move heat around the globe in ways that can cool some areas, warm others, and change the amount of rain and snow falling. As a result, the climate changes differently in different areas.

Aren't temperature changes natural?

The average global temperature and concentrations of carbon dioxide (one of the major greenhouse gases) have fluctuated on a cycle of hundreds of thousands of years as the Earth's position relative to the sun has varied. As a result, ice ages have come and gone.

However, for thousands of years now, emissions of GHGs to the atmosphere have been balanced out by GHGs that are naturally absorbed. As a result, GHG concentrations and temperature have been fairly stable. This stability has allowed human civilization to develop within a consistent climate.

Occasionally, other factors briefly influence global temperatures. Volcanic eruptions, for example, emit particles that temporarily cool the Earth's surface. But these have no lasting effect beyond a few years. Other cycles, such as El Ni"o, also work on fairly short and predictable cycles.

Now, humans have increased the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by more than a third since the industrial revolution. Changes this large have historically taken thousands of years, but are now happening over the course of decades.

Why is this a concern?

The rapid rise in greenhouse gases is a problem because it is changing the climate faster than some living things may be able to adapt. Also, a new and more unpredictable climate poses unique challenges to all life.

Historically, Earth's climate has regularly shifted back and forth between temperatures like those we see today and temperatures cold enough that large sheets of ice covered much of North America and Europe. The difference between average global temperatures today and during those ice ages is only about 5 degrees Celsius (9 degrees Fahrenheit), and these swings happen slowly, over hundreds of thousands of years.

Now, with concentrations of greenhouse gases rising, Earth's remaining ice sheets (such as Greenland and Antarctica) are starting to melt too. The extra water could potentially raise sea levels significantly.

As the mercury rises, the climate can change in unexpected ways. In addition to sea levels rising, weather can become more extreme. This means more intense major storms, more rain followed by longer and drier droughts (a challenge for growing crops), changes in the ranges in which plants and animals can live, and loss of water supplies that have historically come from glaciers.

Scientists are already seeing some of these changes occurring more quickly than they had expected. According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, eleven of the twelve hottest years since thermometer readings became available occurred between 1995 and 2006.

Oh and I also did notice one slight grammatical error that Con had.........
If you examine the information above more closely you will notice the fatal mistake Con made of mistaking the year 2011 as a month.....

And I quote her on this: "Don't forget, I said that the fact was that (2011 WAS THE SECOND COLDEST MONTH) since 2000, so it has been colder"
Read what's in parentheses...... Vote Pro!
hghppjfan

Con

hghppjfan forfeited this round.
Posted by hghppjfan 4 years ago
hghppjfan
For arguement 2: source-www.isthereglobalwarming.com
Vote Placed by DeFool 4 years ago
DeFool
emospongebob527hghppjfanTied
Reasons for voting decision: I hope not to invoke the rage of the mighty arimax 1227, as I timidly render my humble opinion. I agreed with Pro before, and this did not change. Therefore, two airmaxes to Pro. As I agreed with Pro, I naturally felt that his were the most convincing arguments, and the most reliable sources. Therefore, two additional airmaxes were awarded to Pro. Overall a respectful debate, I could grant no airmax to either party for conduct.
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
emospongebob527hghppjfanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Repeated forfeits by Con. How else could one vote?
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
emospongebob527hghppjfanTied