Global Warming is Chiefly caused by Natural Phenomenon and NOT Humans

I'll start this off with a background of the issue.

Some disagree on the degree to which global warming might also be caused simply by natural changes in the earth's climate. Some claim that humans are the chief cause of the warming that has occurred over roughly the past century, while others claim that our role has been relatively insignificant as compared to natural forces. Therefore, the debate roughly defined here centers on the question of whether human are the "chief" or "most significant" cause of the recent global warming trend seen over the past century and today. This debate is important in the way of determining policy responses. If, for instance, the human cause of global warming was concluded to be relatively minor, then some would argue that policies attempting to address these human causes (carbon emissions regulations...) are misplaced. Conversely, a conclusion that humans are the chief cause of global warming would provide valid support for efforts that attempt to stem these human-causes. Of course, conclusions that humans are, for instance, 30% of the cause would create a more challenging set of questions in the way of how to prioritize a human response. Still, the undeniable fact that the earth is getting warmer leads to a range of separate debates that need not consider the underlying cause.

(Start off borrowed and edited from Yvette)

Start off, Thank you for accepting this debate. If you accept this debate, you agree to the rules and formats of the debate. Breaking the rules and formats of the debate is considered forfeiture.

I will claim the burden of proof. However, we must both prove or show evidence of our claims.

1. No insults or ad hominem.

2. The scientific position that no thing can be proved 100% and can only be shown to be closer to the truth and/or more likely to be true is the basis of our discussion.

3. The purpose of our debate is to determine whether or not is is reasonable to say that the phenomenon known as Global Warming is not caused mostly by humanity. There may be evidence both ways showing reasons why it is likely or unlikely. It must, on the whole, be more likely than unlikely.

4. The CON must argue that Global warming, the increase in the average temperature of Earth's near-surface air and oceans since the mid-20th century and its projected continuation, is caused by human action.

5. No arguments will be presented in Round 1. As the burden of proof is on me, I must make the first argument. My opponent must simply agree to the rules in Round 1.

I thank my opponent again for accepting this debate, and wish him luck.

good luck.

*cracks knuckles*

Cool. So this is my first debate. If I do something wrong, please tell me.

I have to admit that at the start of this debate, I was neutral on the issue and selected the most radical opinion I could think of that can be actually defended (intelligently).

Now how do I start off...?

It is my position that Global Warming is occurring. I believe that is caused by the natural cycle that is climate change, and not by CO2 emissions created by humanity.

There is no clear warming trend that shows human interference in climate.

Climate change is a change in the statistical distribution of weather over periods of time that range from decades to millions of years. It can be a change in the average weather or a change in the distribution of weather events around an average (for example, greater or fewer extreme weather events). Climate change may be limited to a specific region, or may occur across the whole Earth (1).

The Earth's climate has always changed throughout history due to natural cycles. For example, the Medieval warm period and the subsequent little ice age were caused by climate change (2). Like then, The Earth is currently peaking in an inter-glacial warming period, before it will inevitably enter another ice age. It is natural to expect warming during this period, and not caused by human interference in the climate.

Warming trends show no consistent increase in temperature. In the last century, much of the warming occurred between 1910 and 1940, when human emissions of CO2 were relatively small compared to today.

In fact, most of the warming that has occurred in the last century occurred in between 1910 and 1940- when C02 emissions by humans were low.

During the post-war economic boom (when one would have expected the temperature to rise) the world cooled from the 1940s to the 1970s (this is evident from accepted data used by the IPCC). (3)"

This trend shows that greenhouse gasses did not have anything to do with the current warming we are facing.

An easy to observe temperature record of the world can be found here (4):

Pro claims that greenhouse gases are unrelated to global warming. a comparison of co2 concentration and earths temperature clearly refute this point. If you look on the graph provided on source 1. you will see an obvious connection between CO2 and earths temperature.
Pro cites the 1940-1970 period of cooling to disprove CO2s effect. This conclusion clearly contradicts our long term date. It seems much more likely that this cooling was caused by a factor unrelated to greenhouse gases and human activity, such as the 1940 eruption of Mauna Loa (2) which released volcanic ash into the atmosphere, blocking sunlight and creating a cooling effect.

looking closely at the graph in source 1 you see that by the natural cycle earth should be cooling. Using excel i graphed earths relatively recent temperature and found that we probably should be cooling by the natural cycle.

Prox forfeited this round.

Prox forfeited this round.
Posted by Prox 6 years ago
Sorry for that, btw.
Posted by gizmo1650 6 years ago
if you didn't forfeit we might of gotten other voters (i think i should use that strategy)
Posted by Prox 6 years ago
Bull. I can't vote for myself.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro could have easily won
Vote Placed by gizmo1650 6 years ago