rdambrosionhs
McCainOffensive

Global Warming

Started: 10/15/2013 Category: Economics

rdambrosionhs

Con

According to "A Really Inconvenient Truth: Global Warming is not real." A group of scientists grouped together and signed a OP-ED saying that global warming is not actually supported by science. In fact our earth is not being heated up it is going through a cooling stage. Daily Mail reports that the Met Office and the University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit, after taking data from nearly 30,000 stations around the world, have found that the earth stopped warming in 1997. http://www.policymic.com...
According to University of Colorado environmental scientist Roger Pielk, there is in fact a reason to argue global warming. Pielk testified before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, this included, California"s Barbara Boxer, Rhode Island"s Sheldon Whitehouse, and Vermont"s Bernie Sanders. "Hurricanes have not increased in the U.S. in frequency, intensity or normalized damage since at least 1900," Pielke added. "The same holds for tropical cyclones globally since at least 1970."" (He also noted) that U.S. floods have not increased in "frequency or intensity" since 1950 and economic losses from floods have dropped by 75 percent as a percentage of GDP since 1940. Tornado frequency, intensity, and normalized damages have also not increased since 1950, and Pielke even notes that there is some evidence that this has declined." droughts have been shorter, less frequent, and have covered a smaller portion of the U.S over the last century. Globally, there has been very little change in the last 60 years, he said." http://frontpagemag.com...
McCainOffensive

Pro

I accept your challenge. Since this is an argument regarding data, I will be using plenty of graphs.

Graph the first:

This graph shows a very clear upward trend in the years leading up to 2000. While even I can see that there are some rather large humps in the graph, it is undeniable that the annual average temperature has been increasing for the last 150 years. This is the most unbiased way of reporting a long term trend. Anyone can massage the data and find short term, five or ten year cooling trends. This is as clear and unbiased as the data gets.

Source the first: http://content.usatoday.com...

This is an article, posted in 2010, which cites a study showing 97% of scientists believe that climate change exists and is mainly caused by human activities. The 3% that disagree are less qualified and lack expertise or publishing credibility.

The Earth is warming. Data shows this. It is a non-issue. Almost nowhere else in the world do 97% of people agree on something. The issue is what the ramifications of this are. Not everyone agrees it will mean larger, more powerful storms.

It is also not part of the earth's natural cycle. If that were, we would have been cooling down. Instead we are warming up, by about 0.8 degrees celsius. Warming up, not cooling down, like climate models suggest we should be doing right about now.

This is a slow, subtle process, not a gigantic, monumental event. It will take time, and you might not notice it at first because we are built for a timescale of a few years. But the world, at some point in the future, will change. For the worse.

I turn the floor to you
rdambrosionhs

Con

http://i.dailymail.co.uk...
In October 2012 there was data shown that in fact the earth has been cooling over the past 16 years.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
McCainOffensive

Pro

The key phrase in that statement is over the past 16 years.

I also have data showing that the decade between 2000-2010 was the hottest decade on record.

Source
green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/state-of-the-climate-hottest-decade-ever/?_r=0

I can see that you are falling into a common trap. You are thinking on too small of a scale. I used the graph in the first argument because it was the nicest, clearest picture I could find, but is also accurate.

It also shows that ten fifteen, even twenty year measurements are meaningless. Climate science centers on far-reaching long term trends. If you step in close, put your hands around your eyes, and focus only on small subsets of the data, you will see what you want to see.

In nearly every decade, you can find ten year cooling trends that seemingly disprove the theory that the earth is warming. The blinkered and restricted set of data that you cite is proof enough of that. But if you step back and look at the picture as a whole, you'll see what I see and what science sees. A steadily rising global temperature in which each decade has been hotter than the last.

If we were following the earth's regular, cyclic climate pattern, we would be at the edge of a plateau and on the very precipice of a cooling trend in which the average temperature would drop by 0.1 degrees celsius every few hundred years, or possibly even faster than that. We would be at the beginning of an Ice Age. Instead we have seen the temperature rise by 0.8 degrees celsius in 150 years. This is unprecedented. At no time in the earth's history have temperatures changed this quickly.

Look at the last time there was a cooling trend. From 1940 to 1960, temperature dropped by almost a full tenth of a degree. And then over the next 50 years it rose by six tenths of a degree.

As I said earlier, this is a non issue. Temperatures are rising and have been for the last 150 years.

Source
rdambrosionhs

Con

rdambrosionhs forfeited this round.
McCainOffensive

Pro

Okay, I want to apologize. I lost my temper, and was more than a little condescending. I'm sorry.
rdambrosionhs

Con

rdambrosionhs forfeited this round.
McCainOffensive

Pro

McCainOffensive forfeited this round.
rdambrosionhs

Con

rdambrosionhs forfeited this round.
McCainOffensive

Pro

I guess they forfeited completely. Don't forget to vote.
Posted by autodidact 3 years ago
autodidact
the proportion is unclear. is the instigator against global warming happening or are they against the assertion that it is happening? with out a clear proposition one can not tell the quality of this argument