MicaylaMae
WhyAbhorReality

Global warming can be fixed?

WhyAbhorReality has forfeited round #3.

MicaylaMae

Con

Hello potential opponent! I am arguing that there is Global warming, yet it cannot be fixed. Please follow basic rules...
-No offensive language.
-No plagiarism.
-Keep a respectful tone.
(Voters, please judge with these rules in mind.)
If there are issues in post your argument in time, just post a sentence saying that you wish to continue, but something came up. Life happens! :)
Order of debate:
Round 1: Acceptance only, please.
Round 2: First claim.
Round 3: Counter claim.
Round 4: Catch up, or Summary. NO new information, please, unless It is used as a catch up.

Good luck!
WhyAbhorReality

Pro

I need to argue something positive for the future for once so this will do nicely lol.
Rules are all good, plagiarism doesn't mean we cannot use links to backup claims does it? I wouldn't want to have to perform the experiments myself for the proof haha.
My argument will be that there definitely is Global warming and that we can prevent it.

Global Warming definition: "A gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth's atmosphere generally attributed to the greenhouse effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, CFCs, and other pollutants."

Good luck! I think... I'd prefer to be right on this one lol.
MicaylaMae

Con

This not going to be a top level debate post, because I have a bit too much life mixed in for my comfort, but hopefully I will get my point across.

My claim is that global warming has been happening since Earth was founded. The Earth, because of its orbit, is inching its way closer and closer to the sun. This will naturally increase the temperature. "Volcanoes have also caused global warming over millions of years during times in Earth's history when extreme amounts of volcanism occurred, releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere." [1] Greenhouse gases are what is said to be the reason of the earth heating up from pollution. Volcanoes, when they erupt, release way more gas than pollution could in an entire year. [2] "It's a fact that Kilauea has been releasing more than twice the amount of noxious sulfur dioxide gas (SO2) as the single dirtiest power plant on the U.S. mainland."

[1] https://scied.ucar.edu...
[2] https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov...
WhyAbhorReality

Pro

For my first argument I would like to make sure the reader knows that 'Global Warming' is only one area of the climate that is affected by human activity, involving the increased contribution to carbon dioxide and the other pollutants in the atmosphere. Other influences on the environment such as pollution (smog, waste in the water, damage to ecosystems), deforestation (not only having climate effects but wildlife), increased agriculture (methane from cows and other animals), overpopulation, are not usually accounted for by those who argue against it's existence.
Whilst scientists acknowledge the shifting patterns of climate throughout history and the contribution nature makes itself with volcanoes, meteor impacts, etc, this does not mean human activity over the past 200 years in particular is something we can ignore or not see as a major problem. Ice ages are a part of Earth's natural shift in climate, but happen over very long periods of time, not at all attributable to the claims made about 'Global Warming' that will affect us in the next 50 years and into the short term future.
Due to the Industrial revolution in the 1800s, and the global population increasing up to 6 times as much from 100 years ago, human activity has changed so rapidly that the effects do not have any reliable periods of time to draw comparison. Popular oil-company funded websites and "scientists" tend to believe stories that are new mean they are lying, when in fact scientist methods have improved so fast that at this point the information coming in daily is hard to keep up with, the facts that this IS happening is non-disputable.
However, my argument is that all this can be reversed, at least within the sense of "Global Warming". Scientists have always found solutions to problems in the past, when given backup from the churches and governments, and I believe can do so again. The move away from fossil fuels will significantly reduce the amounts of pollutants we put into the air, scientific advances in synthetic meat will lead to less methane from agriculture, seeing as people will never give meat up, once you can't tell we will be able to keep animals protected and in less numbers. Cars and other vehicles that pump their crap into the atmosphere will also stop with scientific advancement, along with numerous other scientific studies that show if we just stopped doing it things would improve. The question to can it be fixed therefore comes down to how much do people want to, and how much are they willing to sacrifice financially for the future.

The natural changes in climate will of course still happen, and no scientific advancement will stop volcanoes from blowing up, however without the human contribution to Global Warming their effects would be significantly less, and not be an immediate issue. Scientific advancement in changing the atmosphere may well lead to us being able to keep it constantly stable, as long as people don't think it is for mind control.
MicaylaMae

Con

I am very sorry to say that I cannot post a rebuttal right now. I have to study for my EOCs, and My best friend is getting married soon, so I have to help with that. This is not at all want i want to do, and I ask you as voters to chose my opponent as the one with a better conduct. Once again, I am very sorry!

Very good debate, by the way!