lovebug24
TUF

Global warming exists.

TUF

lovebug24

Pro

Global warming is truly happening.
TUF

Con

Pro is making a claim. Pro must provide evidence as to how his claim is true, as he holds the BOP. It is then my job to refute his case, and provide my own.

I happily await a response.
lovebug24

Pro

Signs that the Earth is warming are recorded all over the globe. The easiest way to see increasing temperatures is through the thermometer records kept over the past century and a half. Around the world, the Earth's average temperature has risen more than 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.8 degrees Celsius) over the last century, and about twice that in parts of the Arctic.

This doesn't mean that temperatures haven't fluctuated among regions of the globe or between seasons and times of day. But if you average out the temperature all over the world over the course of a year, you see that temperatures have been creeping upward.

I'm not saying that humans are the cause of this but what I'm saying is that it is happening.
TUF

Con

*****FRAMEWORK*****

First I will address my opponents arguments, before making my own.

RULES:
1. Forfeit means the loss of the debate
2. Conduct should remain polite and respectful.
3. Both debaters will put an an obvious effort into the debate such that it is both informative, and mentally stimulating.

If the viewer feels any debater does not follow one of these Rules, please vote against them in the voting period.

Without further ado, let us begin!

***** MY OPPONENTS "CASE" *****

"Signs that the Earth is warming are recorded all over the globe. The easiest way to see increasing temperatures is through the thermometer records kept over the past century and a half. Around the world, the Earth's average temperature has risen more than 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.8 degrees Celsius) over the last century, and about twice that in parts of the Arctic."

Unfortunately without a source to back this statement up, this 'argument', is unfortunately more of a baseless claim. In order for statistics and numbers to be evaluated fluently, there must be the proper BOP source structure upheld. Otherwise, all a debate is, is a "Nuh UH!", "Uh HUH!" type of thing.
Anyways according to the philosophical outlook on in it, you are basically saying that the earth is heating, and that this heat is a direct result of global warming.

So essentially if I am able to prove both of those wrong, then technically, I have accomplished my goal in this debate, correct?

"This doesn't mean that temperatures haven't fluctuated among regions of the globe or between seasons and times of day. But if you average out the temperature all over the world over the course of a year, you see that temperatures have been creeping upward."

Again, same as above. My goal through out my case will to be to directly provide proof that what was said above is true. Again sources are extremely beneficial in the future, such that I can actually argue something.

***** MY CASE *****

First off I would like to define Global Warming, as it's true meaning is pertinent to this debate.

"Global warming is the rising average temperature of Earth's atmosphere and oceans since the late 19th century and its projected continuation. "

Given the definition, we must assume that global warming is a common theory that based on events from the 19th til now, global warming has been caused. So the definition definitely implies that the meaning is not historical in any way. This also implies that global warming is significant to our era, and that it has never happened before this,

C1: The Earth is not experiencing Global warming.

In an article P Gosselin, written in December 2011, we find some pretty good information about what global warming ACTUALLY is. We also get to take a look and see how it is really happening in our lives,

The link can be found here:http://notrickszone.com...

"warming because quite simply there has been no global warming to speak of for 10-15 years now based on the official climate data from the governments of the world [US /NCDC, ENVIRONMENT CANADA and THE EUROPEAN ENVIRONMENTAL AGENCY. Recently US meteorologist Anthony Watts showed that the continental U.S. has not warmed in the last 10 years, and in fact has grown cooler in the summer and colder in the winter. The climate data numbers come from the National Climatic Data Center."

Here the article specifically states that based on polls numbers and statistics taken by government environmentalist teams throughout the country, that the Globe is actually not warming at all!
It goes on to say the following:

"Not only have the US temperatures been flat for the last 10-15 years, but a similar pattern is happening in Canada. The Canadian national annual, summer and winter temperature departures from the 1961-1990 averages have been flat for 10-14 years when measured on Excel linear trend and based on Environment Canada’s own data. Comparing today’s winter temperature departure with that of the period 1961-1990 can be misleading since the 1961-1990 period was low or cool phase of the planet's 60 year cycle and any comparison will always show warming not due to man generated global warming, but due to natural and regular changes (30 years of cooler weather followed by 30 years of warmer weather) in the planets climate pattern. It is like comparing summer temperatures with winter temperatures, the summer will always show warming."

From this information serp, we can see clearly that this is effecting other countries as well, this "cooling process". So no, the earth is experiencing heat patterns, but given my opponents lack of a source, we can assume that this one is correct.

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov...

http://climate.rutgers.edu...

http://ec.gc.ca...

There are plenty more of those from different bureaus but...

C2: "Global warming" has happened many times before.

"The basic explanation for global warming is an overall, and relatively dramatic, increase of the earths€™s temperature caused by several factors. The main argument is that the earth€™s ozone layer is getting chipped off little by little by the countless chemicals that humans spout off, ranging from hairsprays to emissions by automobiles and all the other pollution-causing substances that environmentalists rage against. The decreasing number of trees also contributes to the process, putting humans on an endless, and seemingly losing fight, against keeping the planet from overheating."

http://globalwarming-articles.org...

The earth has survived through countless years and millennial, and any suspicion of global warming is easily explained by natural cycles.

Around the year 4500 BC, archaeologists have dug up proof for a very real, very big flood a few thousand years ago. What did they find? Countless fossils of fish and other marine creatures stuck up on the mountains in the Middle East region. Speculation to this was caused greatly to believe that the polar Ice caps melting were the cause. So in that case, thousands of years ago, we polluted the atmosphere to receive these effects? Unlikely. Again, this is purely a natural cause.

***** CONCLUSION *****

I have successfully proven that Global Warming does not exist through theory of it's definition. Global warming is a theory that is though that the earth is warming abnormally. This is untrue. I have proven that the earth goes through cycles of heat. I have also proven that the earth is getting cooler if anything. Thus I have defeated the resolution twice, While Upholding my BOP.

I look forward to my opponents response!
lovebug24

Pro

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com...

Scientists say global warming is real.
Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and scientists are more than 90% certain that most of it is caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases produced by human activities such as deforestation and the burning of fossil fuels. These findings are recognized by the national science academies of all major industrialized nations.

My opponent stated: "Not only have the US temperatures been flat for the last 10-15 years, but a similar pattern is happening in Canada. The Canadian national annual, summer and winter temperature departures from the 1961-1990 averages have been flat for 10-14 years when measured on Excel linear trend and based on Environment Canada's own data. Comparing today's winter temperature departure with that of the period 1961-1990 can be misleading since the 1961-1990 period was low or cool phase of the planet's 60 year cycle and any comparison will always show warming not due to man generated global warming, but due to natural and regular changes (30 years of cooler weather followed by 30 years of warmer weather) in the planets climate pattern. It is like comparing summer temperatures with winter temperatures, the summer will always show warming." When my earlier argument came to this conclusion: This doesn't mean that temperatures haven't fluctuated among regions of the globe or between seasons and times of day. But if you average out the temperature all over the world over the course of a year, you see that temperatures have been creeping upward. In your argument you stated: "Not only have the US temperatures been flat for the last 10-15 years, but a similar pattern is happening in Canada." This is only one region of the world.

I went onto this website(the one you gave to me) and I found this:
http://climvis.ncdc.noaa.gov...

The trend(temperature) is going up.

On this link:
http://climate.rutgers.edu...

There is an error in this image... If this year, 2012, is not even over yet how can it be on the graph? Another error with this argument is that we are not debating snow but we are debating temperature. This has no point to even argue about.

This shows that the temperature is rising. Also it came off of the website that just said it was decreasing. This website has false information because of this.
http://ec.gc.ca...

Dictionary definition: Global Warming: a gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth's atmosphere generally (Generally: in most cases; usually) attributed to the greenhouse effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons, and other pollutants

This last argument also did not have a foundation. The definition did not say that global warming was caused by pollutents but it seems to be put together usually.
TUF

Con

*****REBUTTALS*****

"Signs that the Earth is warming are recorded all over the globe. The easiest way to see increasing temperatures is through the thermometer records kept over the past century and a half. Around the world, the Earth's average temperature has risen more than 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.8 degrees Celsius) over the last century, and about twice that in parts of the Arctic.

This doesn't mean that temperatures haven't fluctuated among regions of the globe or between seasons and times of day. But if you average out the temperature all over the world over the course of a year, you see that temperatures have been creeping upward."

First off, ma'am, your source is just an article. It does not present any real statistics, or give any scientific measure on how global warming is real. While I have provided sources that explain in vast detail, and have the numbers to dis-prove global warming. I have even posted stats showing that Global cooling is actually happening.

"Scientists say global warming is real.
Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and scientists are more than 90% certain that most of it is caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases produced by human activities such as deforestation and the burning of fossil fuels. These findings are recognized by the national science academies of all major industrialized nations."

You still have yet to prove how this is a phenomena. You must prove to me how this is an actual super-ficial occurrence, that has not happened in the past. You must also find a source and evidence to prove this, which you have not done, thus your claim is baseless and false.

"I went onto this website(the one you gave to me) and I found this:

http://climvis.ncdc.noaa.gov......

The trend(temperature) is going up."

Look at the lines closely this time. The straight line sets the average temperature as un changed. Also notice how drastic the lows become. This is proof that global warming is not occurring.

"There is an error in this image... If this year, 2012, is not even over yet how can it be on the graph? Another error with this argument is that we are not debating snow but we are debating temperature. This has no point to even argue about.

This shows that the temperature is rising. Also it came off of the website that just said it was decreasing. This website has false information because of this. "

First of scientist can predict whether patters for the following months easily, based on results. Your claim that we can't do this just seems absurd.
Also snow plays a huge part in temperature. If there is more snow fall, how is global warming occurring?

****MY CASE****

Now this is the easy part.

Contention 1: Global Cooling.

This point is dropped. My opponent has not been able to show proof that global cooling is not occurring, and has not posted any evidence to global warming actually occurring. Please extend.

Contention 2: "Global Warming" Has happened before.

My opponent has also not been able to prove or dis-prove that "Global warming" is not a common occurrence. By his terms, and by mine own, we see that global warming is supposed to be a significant event. My opponent has yet to prove how this is currently not another earth cycle. He has not even attempted to respond to this argument anyways, so Please Extend.

****CONCLUSION****

My opponent has hopelessly dropped my entire case, and fails to provide actual sourced evidence (other than articles) for any of his claims. This proves that global warming doesn't actually exist, and is instead a theory and a concept, thought up by scientists, which has yet to be fully proved.

Please vote CON.

Thankyou.
Vote Placed by Hardcore.Pwnography 5 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
lovebug24TUFTied
Reasons for voting decision: TUF tears down the arguments of lovebug, and develops own unrefuted arguments. Clear win
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
lovebug24TUFTied
Reasons for voting decision: C1-dropped C2-not disproved. Pros case is incredibalky weak, co proved (factually) in the last 10 years there has been no global heating. Also, that isn't even right! (1997 is when cooling began) regardless, con won. Very simple.