Global warming exists

First round is for acceptance

And I accept

Hello Pro, I'm glad you accepted my debate, and I hope this ends up as great.

First of all, I would like to re-point out my point - Global Warming doesn't exist.
Global warming:
an increase in the earth's average atmospheric temperature that causes corresponding changes in climate and that may result from the greenhouse effect.

Evidences show that the temperatures are not rising but falling, and that the Earth was hotter 1000 years ago. Now this goes against the stereotype of the Earth's temperature rising.
One famous example of the apparent 'global warming' is the ice caps melting. However, satellite photos show that the ice caps increased by 533,000 square miles from August 2012 to August 2013.

From National Geographic:

Glaciers are melting, sea levels are rising, cloud forests are drying, and wildlife is scrambling to keep pace. It's becoming clear that humans have caused most of the past century's warming by releasing heat-trapping gases as we power our modern lives. Called greenhouse gases, their levels are higher now than in the last 650,000 years.

We call the result global warming, but it is causing a set of changes to the Earth's climate, or long-term weather patterns, that varies from place to place. As the Earth spins each day, the new heat swirls with it, picking up moisture over the oceans, rising here, settling there. It's changing the rhythms of climate that all living things have come to rely upon.

What will we do to slow this warming? How will we cope with the changes we've already set into motion? While we struggle to figure it all out, the face of the Earth as we know it"coasts, forests, farms and snow-capped mountains"hangs in the balance.

Greenhouse effect

The "greenhouse effect" is the warming that happens when certain gases in Earth's atmosphere trap heat. These gases let in light but keep heat from escaping, like the glass walls of a greenhouse.

First, sunlight shines onto the Earth's surface, where it is absorbed and then radiates back into the atmosphere as heat. In the atmosphere, "greenhouse" gases trap some of this heat, and the rest escapes into space. The more greenhouse gases are in the atmosphere, the more heat gets trapped.

Scientists have known about the greenhouse effect since 1824, when Joseph Fourier calculated that the Earth would be much colder if it had no atmosphere. This greenhouse effect is what keeps the Earth's climate livable. Without it, the Earth's surface would be an average of about 60 degrees Fahrenheit cooler. In 1895, the Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius discovered that humans could enhance the greenhouse effect by making carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas. He kicked off 100 years of climate research that has given us a sophisticated understanding of global warming.

Levels of greenhouse gases (GHGs) have gone up and down over the Earth's history, but they have been fairly constant for the past few thousand years. Global average temperatures have stayed fairly constant over that time as well, until recently. Through the burning of fossil fuels and other GHG emissions, humans are enhancing the greenhouse effect and warming Earth.

Scientists often use the term "climate change" instead of global warming. This is because as the Earth's average temperature climbs, winds and ocean currents move heat around the globe in ways that can cool some areas, warm others, and change the amount of rain and snow falling. As a result, the climate changes differently in different areas.

Thank you for the response Pro, I will now go against the evidences you have presented.

Firstly, you have said that the glaciers are melting, and yes this is very true, but is this because of global warming? According to NPR (National Public Radio) which is based in USA, explains that human pollution might have caused the rapid decline in the glaciers. Another source, engineeringnews, proves why glacier melting is not caused by the global warming. Scientists have proved, or established a fact, that the total global warming over the past century has been less than 1'C. As you know, water freezes at 0'C and to melt it, the temperature has to go above 0'C. So let's say the air temperature around the glaciers is -10'C. Just because of a 1'C change in the so called global warming, the glaciers won't melt.

You have also mentioned the greenhouse effect. "humans are enhancing the greenhouse effect and warming Earth." It is true, deforestation, burning of fossil fuels, electrical appliances and population growth increase the greenhouse gases, but does the greenhouse effect really affect the global warming? The answer to that, I think, is no. After the Second World War, there was a huge increase in CO2 emission, yet global temperatures fell for four decades after that. This disapproves the greenhouse effect theory that is used to prove that global warming exists.

I will present you now with one more evidence that global warming doesn't exist, as there are 5 rounds in total.

One more reason that global warming is unreal is because that global warming alarmists have been caught in one lie after another since the 1980's. Some of the examples follow:

An inconvenient truth is a movie made by Al Gore (45th Vice President of America) under President Bill Clinton. His movie was about the polar bears drowning, ice caps melting which I have already proved wrong. Another example is the ClimateGate affair exposed the utter corruption of the Warmist community with their exposed emails speaking of how they intended to “hide the decline” and how to manipulate data and the peer-review process in their favor.

And to conclude, I would like to point out that global warming and climate change is completely different things. Global warming, as defined, is the process of earth receiving more energy than it loses and climate change describes the effects the heating has on the earth such as changes in precipitation, droughts, floods, and etc.

I look forward to your next argument.

You said: "After the Second World War, their was a huge increase in co2 emission, yet global temperatures fell for decades after that" Over this period, global CO2 emissions were a fraction of current levels. Currently we are emitting over 8000 million tonnes per year. 2012 was the hottest year on record in the continental U.S. Last year beat the previous record holder 1998, by a full 1F. And while 2012 certainly stood out for its high temperatures, it was hardly unusual. The last decade globally has been the hottest in recorded history. (U.S. temperature records go back to 1895.) And the heat has been above average for some time. You talked about how glaciers are melting from pollution not global warming.
Well, you may be correct. But does all of the Glaciers that are melting melt from pollution, or is some of it global Warming? You say it's possible that pollution caused them to melt, but that is not saying it's the only explanation.

Now your final point, is Global Warming alarmists are liars, because you have disproved their evidence. But did you really? You didn't say: We'll this is how it have happened. You said : this is how it MAY have happened. I may say: The reason is because people are destroying the ice with ice picks. Well that's possible, but yet still not a solid explanation.

Yes, I have said

"After the Second World War, their was a huge increase in co2 emission, yet global temperatures fell for decades after that"

and the CO2 emission is nowhere the same now as they were back in 1945. However, what I was trying to prove was that even though there was a huge increase in the CO2 emission in 1945, the climate didn't increase which suggests to me that greenhouse effect might not be the case which proves global warming.

I wouldn't call global warming the cause of the melting of the glaciers. I would use the term climate change. And yes you are right, that is not the only explanation.

I have given you evidences in the next paragraph about the Inconvenient Truth and ClimateGate.

In this argument, you have failed to give me another reason why you believe that global warming exists. In the next argument you make, please do include why you think global warming exists rather than just pointing out the mistakes I have made.

So we bothagree on the fact that their are more green house gases. This website explains how they warm up the earth.
Con canot deny global warming.

You have just made a ridiculous statement of me not being able to deny global warming. Just because I have said that there are more green house gases, doesn't mean that global warming exists.

Thank you for the debate

I never told Con that because their are more greenhouse gases global warming exists. I told him how they warm up the earth, and we agreed on the fact that their are more greenhouse gases. If we have more green house gases on the earth, and they are heating the earth up, then that means global warming. Con has not disproved anything the website states, meaning he cannot do so. If he could have dis proven them, then he would have done so.

I don't believe it's a ridiculous statement, because Con has still not disproven how the greenhouse gases warm the earth.

Thanks, vote Pro
Posted by NateTheFirst 2 years ago
Why is everything dissapearing...
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: If green house gases warm the globe, and there are more green house gases now, then the globe is warming. Con basically concedes this, so I vote Pro. Other points: Con's wins sources because he actually used and properly cited them, but I will award conduct to Pro, because I felt Con's final remarks were unnecessarily snarky. S/G tied. Nice debate!