Alexander_The_Great
petersaysstuff

Global warming is man made

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Alexander_The_Great

Pro

Global warming is man made.
petersaysstuff

Con

First off I must say that my opponent holds the BOP since he made the claim that global warming is man made.

But in this first round I will bring forth one piece of evidence but I reserve the right to bring more in later.

Warming is a myth:
There is no scientific consensus and even if their were some consensus, even if by the stretch of ones imagination, it is not based upon any scientific evidence. The funny thing is that the earth has been cooling for 10 years and this fact contradicts the claims made by proponents of global warming flat out.
"Studies of a variety of natural processes, including ocean cycles and solar variability, indicate that they can account for variations in the Earth's climate on the time scale of decades and centuries. Current climate models appear insufficiently reliable to properly account for natural and anthropogenic contributions to past climate change, much less project future climate."[1]

[1] http://www.thenewamerican.com...
Alexander_The_Great

Pro

Like many people my opponent is mislead to believe that Global Warming means the earth is just getting hotter. The word "Global warming" can be misleading as well. But many parts of the Earth have gotten colder because of Global Warming. The reason being pressure changes in areas that influence the temperature. And also, the shifting of jet streams. I can expand on that later on.
Without a doubt we can see there is a massive shift in climate. It rained in December in Aspen Colorado! That's never happened before.
It is absurd to say this is a cycle and not man made. and its a funny coincidence that the change started in the 20th century, when the world started to Industrialize and produce cars, planes, and other Co2 emitting products.
This is what a planet looks like when it is suounded by a dense atmosphere.
http://www.nasm.si.edu...
Its venus!
petersaysstuff

Con

Regarding the copy-pasta'd youtube video: I would suggest you not just post links without saying what is in them since that is not debating. I am able to do the same thing but I'd rather not since it lowers both our enjoyment.

Regarding your argument: You provided no definition of global warming thus I guess I must. Global warming is defined as: "an increase in the average temperature of the earth's atmosphere (especially a sustained increase that causes climatic changes)"[1]

With this definition in mind we can see that my opponent's entire argument falls since it neither has evidence to back it up nor does it even agree with Princeton's definition of global warming.

Also, my opponent dropped my argument and never responded to my evidence thus I flow it across and one can say global warming is NOT man made. QED
[1] http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...

(Must I respond to a picture? But regardless I shall, Venus is closer to the sun thus is hotter than earth. This argument is invalid)
Alexander_The_Great

Pro

Why doesn't my argument agree with Princeton's definition of global warming?

the definition reads "especially a sustained increase that causes climatic changes)"[1]
it got hotter

I said. "Without a doubt we can see there is a massive shift in climate. It rained in December in Aspen Colorado"
it got hotter
if anything you just helped my argument.

You have no evidence to support that Global warming is anything else but man made.
You tell me what the climate shift is being caused by.

Here is another point. There is no doubt the Polar bears are going extinct. If this was a "cycle", which the earth's temperature shot up for a few years, then dropped back down, then Polar bears would have died in the last "cycle."

And its not invalid.
mercury is 50 million miles closer to the sun than Venus is, but it surface temperature is lower than Venus'.
Atmosphere: Mercury has very little atmosphere. Mercury's thin atmosphere consists of atoms blasted off its surface by the solar wind, a constant stream of particles coming from the outer layer of the Sun.
The average surface temperature on Mercury is 166.86 C (332.33� F).

Venus
Atmosphere: It has a thick, poisonous atmosphere of carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid.
Temperature: 456.85 C (854.33� F)

So there is no doubt that a planet with a dense atmosphere is going to warm up.
Things that emit Co2 are going to get taped within the atmosphere. its like a blanket or a giant greenhouse.

And, you also did not address my point about the climate shift happening within this century. That it started to change when the world started emitting Co2.

Just Google 'temperature of the earth', and you will find an array of charts that clearly show the planet warming.
http://science.nasa.gov...
petersaysstuff

Con

//many parts of the Earth have gotten colder//
You are saying that global warming entails cooling as well but my definition contradicts your unproven claim thus I win this point.

//You have no evidence to support that Global warming is anything else but man made.//
It is your burden to prove that it isn't. You made the original claim. I have proven that warming is a myth even and this has gone uncontested. Since you have not disproven that fact I win.

//You tell me what the climate shift is being caused by.//
It is not happening. See my evidence from round 1.

// There is no doubt the Polar bears are going extinct.//
No doubt? I'm sorry sir but this is a debate that requires evidence, not just baseless claims. You have not proven anything.

As you said regarding mercury, it has small atmosphere that does not keep a lot of heat in. But again this is invalid. This has no bearing on the debate.

//So there is no doubt that a planet with a dense atmosphere is going to warm up.//
I agree but you have not proven that our atmosphere is getting denser thus this claim does not matter. If you had proven that our atmosphere was getting denser then this would have been more interesting.

//And, you also did not address my point about the climate shift happening within this century. That it started to change when the world started emitting Co2.//
You only talked about us giving off more CO2 but you provided no evidence that it was not being recycled and you provided nothing to show that our atmosphere was getting thicker. There was no need to respond to a claim not grounded in fact.

//Just Google 'temperature of the earth', and you will find an array of charts that clearly show the planet warming.//
Just Google "reasons why gloabl warming is a myth" and you will find tons of evidence disproving your point.
http://stephenschneider.stanford.edu...

Conclusion: My opponent never responded to my first piece of evidence (and might I add the only piece in this entire debate) which showed that warming is a myth. Since this has gone not only unrefuted but uncontested throughout the entire debate I must ask for a Con ballot.
Posted by poorenglishspeaker 2 years ago
poorenglishspeaker
Thank you for nice debates.
We are facing global warming but I don't know whether it's man made or not(global warming or climate variability).
However,the stream of the time is that global warming is caused by human activity.
But the evidence is not certain as the contender mentioned.
http://topics.nytimes.com...#
Posted by unlockable 3 years ago
unlockable
Actually, the global polar bear population has been increasing for decades. in fact, all populations of polar bears have been increasing, except for one group of bears in Canada. The largest threat to polar bear populations is not climate change, but rather hunting and poaching.

http://books.google.com...
Posted by FreeThinker35 3 years ago
FreeThinker35
AoE 3 !!!!
Posted by Alexander_The_Great 3 years ago
Alexander_The_Great
calm down peter.
Posted by petersaysstuff 3 years ago
petersaysstuff
What I have learned is that you should ALWAYS provide evidence for any claim made.
Alexander_The_Great
In my debates, ive noticed that i make assumptions and don't really give any evidence or logic to back it up, because I sometimes think it's common sense. Because, in my mind, im stating the obvious. iI just assume everyone else knows what im talking about haha. Like the thing about the Polar bears, i thought everyone knew that polar bears were dying at a fast rate.
I need to elaborate, which is also something ive never been good at.
Posted by samiam96 3 years ago
samiam96
Thank you silver falcon, it is rare that one has the chance to find both sides of a controversial topic that they feel strongly about, and not only that, but to see both perspectives in elaborate detail
Posted by Silver_Falcon 3 years ago
Silver_Falcon
@samiam96: Then you may enjoy http://www.debate.org...
Posted by samiam96 3 years ago
samiam96
Wish I would have seen this debate earlier and accepted, such a contreversial topic of which I am very passionate about
Vote Placed by Adam_The_Analyst 3 years ago
Adam_The_Analyst
Alexander_The_GreatpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: I really thought pros analogy with Venus was spot-on. I feel like if pro had another round, he could refute a lot of cons arguments.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
Alexander_The_GreatpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's argument was poorly done and easily taken care of by Con.
Vote Placed by Double_R 3 years ago
Double_R
Alexander_The_GreatpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's case had no clear message by his changing topics throughout the debate, and was based on assertions with no sources that failed to make any significant point. Con adequately refuted these points. Pro looses conduct for relying on links to make his case for him in both R2 and R3.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
Alexander_The_GreatpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't try to make a case, he just asserted he was correct. The part about global warming including cooling was incoherent.
Vote Placed by TheFreeThinker 3 years ago
TheFreeThinker
Alexander_The_GreatpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: I guess Alexander never heard of the Ice ages...
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 3 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
Alexander_The_GreatpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Peter easily takes this, Alexander makes more assertions than arguments and the Polar Bears blurb is just foolish, everyone knows they are the favorite food of Bigfoot. Alexander I think you had a solid argument in there but you really needed some sources and a few clear objectives. 3:1 Con
Vote Placed by darkkermit 3 years ago
darkkermit
Alexander_The_GreatpetersaysstuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: CON makes many spelling mistakes (Ex. Not capitalizing new sentences). PRO provides no evidence that global warming is man made. PRO just comes up with anecdotal, while CON uses facts, science, and articles.