welldonesteak
tribefan011

Globalization is good.

tribefan011

welldonesteak

Pro

I believe that globalization is good.

The following definitions are provided for clarity from http://dictionary.reference.com...

Globalization: to extend to other or all parts of the globe; make worldwide
Good: beneficial
==================
Contentions
==================
I. Globalization helps advance the smaller, third-world countries. Also it helps technologies such as medicine travel around the world to the people who need it. Through globalization, groups such as Doctors Without Borders are able to be created. This helps the people in third-world receive treatments for diseases and physical needs.

II. Through globalization, big companies such as McDonald's, Samsung, LG, and many other have flourished. This is true because newly developed countries offer more possibilities, such as jobs and consumer goods. This is good because the companies help the countries' people to reach a higher standard of living.

III. Knowledge has been spread through globalized communication and therefore globalization has contributed to our current level of understanding technology and the world. This is true because groups working cooperatively is bound to get farther than individuals working alone. This is beneficial because globalized communication has helped develop and further our understanding of the world.

I will now await my opponent to commence his argument.
tribefan011

Con

I hate to make this debate semantical, but "Globalization is good" is just too much of a generalization. Pro defines "good" as "beneficial". According to Merriam-Webster, "beneficial" means "conferring benefits: conducive to personal or social well-being". Also, I have a problem with the definition of globalization. All I have to do to negate the resolution is show aspects of globalization that are not beneficial.

Despite the economic growth stemming from globalization, the income inequality has remained at high rates. This shows that although it benefits the rich, globalization does not help the poor. The GINI coefficient is used to measure income inequality. The closer to 100 the number is, the more unequal the distribution of wealth is. The closer to 0 the number is, the more equal the distribution of wealth is. The GINI coefficients of China, and Mexico stand at 47 and 47.9, respectively. [1] Also, forty of poorest nations have had no economic growth over the last 20 years. [2] Globalization reinforces this inequality because it helps the employers and investors in those countries while exploiting the working class. Many companies seek cheaper labor and countries like China and Mexico lower wages in order to accommodate those companies. This hurts the workers.

I will continue to show other bad parts of globalization. Unfortunately, the debate only allows 2,000 characters. I will provide these arguments and expound upon them in later rounds:
A.The trade policies of globalization encourage companies to seek cheaper labor elsewhere, which hurts skilled workers in countries like America. This hurts competition since workers in American cannot compete with workers in China. It also decreases the quality of the product.
B.The trade policies of globalization have created huge deficits for the United States.

[1] https://www.cia.gov...
[2] http://www.africaeconomicanalysis.org...
welldonesteak

Pro

welldonesteak forfeited this round.
tribefan011

Con

My opponent is unable to finish the debate. I hope to be able to debate this topic with him in the future. In the meantime, I will continue my arguments.
I will expound upon argument A:
According to a study done by the Economic Policy Institute, NAFTA "displaced production that supported roughly 660,000 (manufacturing only) and 1.0 million U.S. jobs". [3] This means about 660,000 manufacturing jobs were outsourced. CAFTA is another trade agreement that has outsourced jobs. There are differing statistics, if you want to look at those. The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace claimed 525,000 American workers lost their jobs. [4] America has lost 3.1 million manufacturing jobs since 1994, when NAFTA was implemented. [5] Although these jobs were usually replaced, workers whose jobs were outsourced tend to earn less in their news jobs. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics reports, only one-third of displaced workers "held new jobs two years later that paid as well as those that were lost". [6] The trade policies of globalization have been shown to hurt the American worker.
Globalization basically encourages companies to compete in a race to the bottom. It is not in the interest of companies to have their products made in the United States if they can get cheaper labor elsewhere. This helps increase their profits, but ultimately lowers the quality of the product. Having less skilled persons produce goods lowers the quality of the good. The "race to the bottom" has been shown in the clothing industry. Mexico and China have competed by lowering workers' wages to attract the clothing industry. Both have been successful in the US market, but it has forced the United States out of competition. Countries with higher minimum wages can't possibly compete with the low wages of Mexico and China. This is just bad for many people. It is bad for the American worker, who can't compete with the workers in Mexico and China.
welldonesteak

Pro

welldonesteak forfeited this round.
tribefan011

Con

This is also bad for the workers in Mexico and China, who are being paid very little. These workers usually have to keep the jobs anyway so they can provide money for their families. Ultimately, it will deliver a worse product to the consumer because less skilled workers will be making the product. So, this "race to the bottom" hurts American workers, hurts workers in poor countries, and hurts consumers.

[3] http://www.epi.org...
[4] http://www.carnegieendowment.org...
[5] http://www.factcheck.org...
[6] http://query.nytimes.com...

As for argument B, FTD statistics show that in 2008, our balance of trade deficit was at $677 Billion. [7] Trade deficits do not help out the United States as it is not trading the same amount of goods that it is receiving. This hurts American business.

Unfortunately, my opponent hasn't been able to partake in this debate. Hopefully, I will be able to debate with him in the future. The resolution has been negated. All I had to do was show that it was not beneficial in some aspect since the resolution was worded with such broad language. I have shown multiple reasons for why globalization is not good.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
That link doesn't work either.

He's a professor according to my link. I believe that makes him more qualified and educated on the subject than the both of us.
Posted by tribefan011 8 years ago
tribefan011
http://en.wikipedia.org....

You can't even remember the person you used to back yourself up, apparently. You used him to back up your claim that the New Deal was a failure.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
(I'm gonna pick on you a lot for being an Indians fan.)

And Burt Folsom doesn't exist. http://en.wikipedia.org...
I couldn't find him in your argument either.
Posted by tribefan011 8 years ago
tribefan011
Burt Folsom, a free market hack, is.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Hey Indians lover: The EPI isn't a credible source.
Posted by welldonesteak 8 years ago
welldonesteak
I'm sorry but due to some issues that I have, I will not be able to continue this debate. I hope we can debate in the future. Thanks!
Posted by Zephyr 8 years ago
Zephyr
my friend welldonesteak will not be able to finish this debate. I would appreciate if rougeagent21 would challenge me to the same debate case. I will be making the topic "Globalization is good." I hope you will challenge soon
Posted by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
That would be completely subjective though. Anyway, I would really like to do this debate, but I can't with this time limit. Could you please lengthen the time to post an argument? Then I would be more than happy to debate this with you. Thanks!
Posted by Zephyr 8 years ago
Zephyr
To Rezzealaux
welldones teak has provided that his definition of good is beneficial. Even if CON shows that globalization of X item is not beneficial CON does not win because PRO has a chance to respond on how the globalization of Y is more beneficial than X is not beneficial.
Posted by B-Money 8 years ago
B-Money
um no
Vote Placed by Steven123 8 years ago
Steven123
welldonesteaktribefan011Tied
Vote Placed by Agnostic 8 years ago
Agnostic
welldonesteaktribefan011Tied
Vote Placed by welldonesteak 8 years ago
welldonesteak
welldonesteaktribefan011Tied
Vote Placed by patsox834 8 years ago
patsox834
welldonesteaktribefan011Tied
Vote Placed by tribefan011 8 years ago
tribefan011
welldonesteaktribefan011Tied