WilliamsP
Fayz

Globalization

WilliamsP
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

WilliamsP

Pro

Definitions

Good day. I would like to debate the issue of globalization. However, I shall define a few terms first:

Globalization - "the development of an increasingly integrated global economy marked especially by free trade, free flow of capital, and the tapping of cheaper foreign"

Economy - the process or system by which goods and services are produced, sold, and bought in a country or region

In this debate, I will argue that globalization has a positive effect on the world economy and the general welfare of the people. My opponent, on the other hand, shall argue that globalization is not necessarily a positive thing.

Rules
1. All sources will be cited.
2. There shall be no forfeiture.
3. Proper spelling and grammar shall be used.

Rounds
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Arguments

Round 3: Rebuttals

Citations

"Globalization." Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 27 Aug. 2014. <http://www.merriam-webster.com...;

"Economy."
Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 27 Aug. 2014. <http://www.merriam-webster.com...;.
Fayz

Con

Alright, I assume that only the 2nd and 3rd rounds will be used for actually debating. Also, when you say proper grammar does that mean I have to use the word "shall"? I saw that you used it a few times and was wondering if you were expecting the same from me.
WilliamsP

Pro

Introduction
No, you are not obligated to utilize the word "shall." If you desire to, you may. However, it is a word I personally enjoy using. This round and the next will indeed be used for actually debating. I simply yearn to have a short and simple debate for I have many obligations in my personal life.

Arguments

Globalization is the connecting, linking, cooperation, and trading of markets on a global scale. That is the simple definition. Now, why and how would this, in any manner, have a negative effect on the world economy? For example, businesses right here in the United States grow larger and more successful when they export goods to other nations. Businesses all around the world do the same thing and that benefits them as well. In the twenty-first century, we cannot be a nationalist, prideful, arrogant country. We must cooperate and trade with markets all around the world.

Switzerland exports cheese; Japan exports technology. Every nation has a product or products that we need to prosper. The same is true for our relationship with other nations. The goods the United States produces and exports are necessary for other nations to thrive. In this young, new century, every nation upon Earth must trade with one another more than ever before.

Globalization is particularly beneficial for countries that are still developing and growing. For your information, globalization does not mean shipping jobs overseas and neglecting economic growth at home. It means for all nations to cooperate and trade. Countries can trade raw materials in exchange for materials or products they require.

My source says, "Virtually all economists agree that the large majority of residents of our shrunken planet are considerably better off through the growth of markets and the efforts of the GATT and its successor, the WTO, to keep them open. With ever expanding technology comes new markets, increased demand for products but also greater competition. There are now more people with computers connected to the world who are investing than ever before."

Another source says, "Nothing is created within global trading but winners since selling products creates increase in demand for those products because the foreigners’ net demand will be added onto the domestic demand. So, with a demand increase, prices will rise. Still, purchasing products will create increases within product supply since net foreign supply will be added onto the domestic supply. Therefore, with this supply increase, the prices will drop. Nobody will lose. It is definitely a win-win situation for every country that participates."

Now, please forgive me if my debate arguments are poor. I have been dormant for quite a while on debate.org. Maybe my skills have eroded over time. However, I believe I have made a good case for globalization.

Citations

"Benefits of Globalization | Benefits Of." Benefits of Globalization | Benefits Of. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Aug. 2014. <http://benefitof.net...;.

"Globalization For the Benefit of All." David Kilgour. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Aug. 2014. <http://www.david-kilgour.com...;.

Fayz

Con

Fayz forfeited this round.
WilliamsP

Pro

Sadly, my opponent has forfeited. I was looking forward to a great debate, but it seems this cannot transpire. If my opponent comes online and writes somethin, he must not write his arguments and rebuttals, for it would be unfair to me.
Fayz

Con

Fayz forfeited this round.
Posted by WilliamsP 2 years ago
WilliamsP
Economy, culture, etc.
Posted by LogicalLunatic 2 years ago
LogicalLunatic
Just the economy? Well, I am okay with this, to a degree...
Vote Placed by Aithlin 2 years ago
Aithlin
WilliamsPFayz
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture by Con.
Vote Placed by texans14 2 years ago
texans14
WilliamsPFayz
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture and Pro provided arguments that surprised me.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
WilliamsPFayz
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: How unfortunate that Con chose not to participate.