ilovedebate
phantom

Goal Line Technology Should not be used in football( international) no matter how important the game

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 5/4/2011 Category: Sports

ilovedebate

Pro

I have posted this debate because lots of football international (soccer) fans were fighting about it.

Thank you to whoever accepts and goodluck

Terms: Goal Line Technology: a proposed technology which determines when the ball has crossed the goal-line, thus indicating whether a goal has been scored or not.

Background
Soccer is a beautiful game in which 11 players on each team get to play without using their hands. The objective of the game is to make the ball pass the goalie and into the net. There are three referees. Recently, in the World Cup 2010 game in Africa, the referees called a clearly made goal made by England not valid because the goalie in the opposing team (Germany) quickly grabbed the ball after it had bounced into the goal. Therefore, many players and fans are demanding that FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) should impose a new technology called goal-line technology to see if the ball passed the net.

Argument
I will just open up briefly

The game of soccer is all about basic and simple rules. Get the ball past the net without breaking any of the rules with the certain extent of the referees. Soccer is an extremely primitive game but putting technology into such a game makes it all the more uneventful and unexciting.
phantom

Con

Hello ilovedebate. Thank you for providing the opportunity to debate the wonderful sport of football! Soccer has always been one of my favorite topics to discuss and I find this particular subject especially interesting. I'm not sure why it is only international football we are debating about, but I honestly don't think it makes much of a difference.

My opponent has only briefly opened an argument so I will do the same and assume the real arguing will begin in round two.

Putting goal line technology into the awesome sport of football would be an improvement. I hate it when things are allowed that shouldn't have been allowed; or things that should have been allowed are not allowed. Every sport has a number of such problems. Off sides, diving, fouls, corners, free kicks and goals are some examples for football. To counter any one of these problems would only be an improvement, and I think goals are probably the most important of any of these.

I also do not see how goal line technology would make it unexciting as my opponent says.

I will now let my opponent make his argument for round two and hears for a good debate!

ilovedebate

Pro

Hello phantom thank you for accepting my debate and goodluck.
Let's have a nice one. I will refer to football international as soccer as they say in America

1. A sport such as soccer or rugby is given the excitement due to the fact that it is all human. There isn't a single trace of technology in this beautiful game. As a sport, the game depends all on human judgement and error. It is what makes such a game so entertaining. Almost everything nowadays are related to technology and sports is the one thing that tries its best to keep away from the modern world and is still watched everywhere. Think about it...do we really need computer technology to ruin such a game as soccer just because the referees make extremely rare mistakes? There are only 2 occurrences in football that I have watched where the ball passed the goal line but the referee didn't count it (1966 and 2010). They are highly trained and still can make errors but it is what makes everyone love the game.

2. Why is soccer the most popular sport? It is because it is the most simple game to play. Get any kind of ball that is suitable to kick and get a friend. Pass it back and forth and there you have it. Very primitive but who's to say it isn't soccer? Soccer is simplicity. Simplicity is soccer. Adding any kind of technology just to make a decision of whether or not the ball passed a line more clear is removing the simplicity and moving it towards the modern life.

3. Adding goal line technology will separate soccer from the category of sports due to the fact that more and more technology will be added in. Like people say, it's only hard to lie the first time, but after that, it's as easy as eating pie. Same with technology; add it and soccer will become more of a business.

4. The referee is trained and hired to be unbiased. If he is biased, then it is FIFA's fault. However, in most cases, FIFA does a good job in plucking out the best of the best. If you have been involved in any kind of soccer game, you should know that it is your duty as a player to listen to the referee no matter how unfair you think it is because the opposing side might think the referee is right. Lots of players these days show discontent and frustration towards the referees but that is not right. They must make immediate judgement and he should be trusted and respected. There are thousands of people in the stands, do you think he can be biased in front of all those people? Their errors are pure and totally acceptable because they are human
phantom

Con

Rebutal:

Refs do use technology such as ear mics. And it is the players that everyone is watching not the refs. One of the refs most important jobs is making the game fair. Goal line technology would only improve soccer.
//As a sport, the game depends all on human judgement and error. It is what makes such a game so entertaining.// Why should the sport depend on the human judgment and error of the referees? It depends on the judgment and error of each individual player and coach.

//Why is soccer the most popular sport? It is because it is the most simple game to play. Get any kind of ball that is suitable to kick and get a friend. Pass it back and forth and there you have it.// We are talking about important international games not little kickabouts.
//3. Adding goal line technology will separate soccer from the category of sports due to the fact that more and more technology will be added in// American football has much more technology than soccer, and is it still a sport? //Their errors are pure and totally acceptable because they are human// You will easily find that when referees make bad mistakes no one is at all forgiving. Have you ever seen Arsene Wenger or Alex Ferguson blast away at the refs after making even simple mistakes?
On to my own arguments: Contention one: Referees make many mistakes in football. No matter how well trained they are they will always make mistakes. One of the most important of these mistakes is allowing goals when they shouldn’t have been allowed or vice versa. It is extremely easy for a referee standing far away from the goal to make a wrong decision using only his eyes. Now shouldn’t fifa try to fix these mistakes so they never happen again? Absolutely, I still see no strong reasons why they shouldn’t use goal line technology and I see many reasons why they should especially in important games. Here’s a quote from Harry Redknapp after one such incidence. Contention two: It makes the game even more enjoyable. The least amount of referee errors in a game there are, the more enjoyable the game is. Whenever a goal is wrongly allowed or disallowed it makes the game less enjoyable. It leaves fans with an extremely disappointed feeling. They feel that their team has been dealt with unjustly. It is of course much worse for the players and staff. With goal line technology added to the game it would be both more enjoyable and more fair. Contention three: It will take a big load of the referees backs when making decissions.

Let me first point out to the viewers that my opponent says “no matter how important the game”. That means all I have to do is prove that it should be used at the least in important games only for international football. //A sport such as soccer or rugby is given the excitement due to the fact that it is all human. There isn't a single trace of technology in this beautiful game.// That is not true. Refs do use technology such as ear mics. It is the players that everyone is watching not the refs. One of the refs most important jobs is making the game fair. Goal line technology would only improve soccer. //As a sport, the game depends all on human judgement and error. It is what makes such a game so entertaining.// Why should the sport depend on the human judgment and error of the referees? It depends on the judgment and error of each individual player and coach, but I do not see how referees making mistakes makes it more entertaining. //They are highly trained and still can make errors but it is what makes everyone love the game.// On the contrary that is completely wrong. Every single time a referee makes a bad mistake both fans, players, and managers make a huge fuss about it. My opponents statement is not at all true that their mistakes make football a better game. //Why is soccer the most popular sport? It is because it is the most simple game to play. Get any kind of ball that is suitable to kick and get a friend. Pass it back and forth and there you have it.// The problem with this argument is that we are not talking about little kick abouts. We are talking about important international games. //3. Adding goal line technology will separate soccer from the category of sports due to the fact that more and more technology will be added in// American football has much more technology than soccer, and is it still a sport? I do not see how adding technology will turn soccer into a business. It doesn’t really make sense to me. //Their errors are pure and totally acceptable because they are human// You will easily find that when referees make bad mistakes no one is at all forgiving. Have you ever seen Arsene Wenger or Alex Ferguson blast away at the refs after making even simple mistakes? And that’s only managers that I mentioned the fans are even more ruthless. On to my own arguments: Contention one: Referees make many mistakes in football. No matter how well trained they are they will always make mistakes. One of the most important of these mistakes is allowing goals when they shouldn’t have been allowed or vice versa. It is extremely easy for a referee standing far away from the goal to make a wrong decision using only his eyes. Now shouldn’t fifa try to fix these mistakes so they never happen again? Absolutely, I still see no strong reasons why they shouldn’t use goal line technology and I see many reasons why they should especially in important games. Here’s a quote from Harry Redknapp after one such incidences

"Until we get technology, it'll keep happening. When Frank Lampard can hit a shot that goes two foot into the back of the goal, it can happen. What's wrong with getting the right decision? How is it 'the fun of the game'? The game is about getting decisions right. The whole ball has to cross the line."

Contention two: It makes the game even more enjoyable. The least amount of referee errors in a game there are, the more enjoyable the game is. Whenever a goal is wrongly allowed or disallowed it makes the game less enjoyable. It leaves fans with an extremely disappointed feeling. They feel that their team has been dealt with unjustly. It is of course much worse for the players and staff. With goal line technology added to the game it would be both more enjoyable and more fair. Contention three: It will take a big load of the referees backs. Referees have a lot of pressure when making decisions in games. If goal line technology is put into the game the 50,000 home fans and a crowd of players harassing them to allow or disallow a goal won’t effect their decision. And they will have no worries of angry fans, managers or players afterwards. Contention four: There has and always will be referees willing to cheat to make a certain team win. With goal line technology it would make it harder for them to cheat. Sources: http://www.goal.com... http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
ilovedebate

Pro

ilovedebate forfeited this round.
phantom

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited the round. I hope, however that he will be able to make it back for the next round.

Instead of simply saying extend arguments I will take advantage of this by reposting my last round.

As said in the comments section their was a glitch so that everything I wrote in my last argument went into one big paragraph. To make it more convenient for the readers and for my opponent I will simply use this round to repost my last argument but with the original formatting I had used.

_____________________

Let me first point out to the viewers that my opponent says “no matter how important the game”. That means all I have to do is prove that it should be used at the least, in important games only for international football.

Rebuttal:

//A sport such as soccer or rugby is given the excitement due to the fact that it is all human. There isn't a single trace of technology in this beautiful game.//

That is not true. Refs do use technology such as ear mics. It is the players that everyone is watching not the refs. One of the refs most important jobs is making the game fair. Goal line technology would only improve soccer.

//As a sport, the game depends all on human judgement and error. It is what makes such a game so entertaining.//

Why should the sport depend on the human judgment and error of the referees? It depends on the judgment and error of each individual player and coach, but I do not see how referees making mistakes makes it more entertaining.

//They are highly trained and still can make errors but it is what makes everyone love the game.//

On the contrary that is completely wrong. Every single time a referee makes a bad mistake both fans, players, and managers make a huge fuss about it. My opponents statement is not at all true that their mistakes make football a better game.

//Why is soccer the most popular sport? It is because it is the most simple game to play. Get any kind of ball that is suitable to kick and get a friend. Pass it back and forth and there you have it.//

The problem with this argument is that we are not talking about little kick abouts. We are talking about important international games.

//3. Adding goal line technology will separate soccer from the category of sports due to the fact that more and more technology will be added in//

American football has much more technology than soccer, and is it still a sport? I do not see how adding technology will turn soccer into a business. It doesn’t really make sense to me.

//Their errors are pure and totally acceptable because they are human//

You will easily find that when referees make bad mistakes no one is at all forgiving. Have you ever seen Arsene Wenger or Alex Ferguson blast away at the refs after making even simple mistakes? And that’s only managers that I mentioned the fans are even more ruthless.

On to my own arguments:

Contention one:

Referees make many mistakes in football. No matter how well trained they are they will always make mistakes. One of the most important of these mistakes is allowing goals when they shouldn’t have been allowed or vice versa. It is extremely easy for a referee standing far away from the goal to make a wrong decision using only his eyes.

Now shouldn’t fifa try to fix these mistakes so they never happen again? Absolutely, I still see no strong reasons why they shouldn’t use goal line technology and I see many reasons why they should especially in important games. Here’s a quote from Harry Redknapp after one such incidences

Contention two:

It would make the game even more enjoyable. The least amount of referee errors in a game there are, the more enjoyable the game is. Whenever a goal is wrongly allowed or disallowed it makes the game less enjoyable. It leaves fans with an extremely disappointed feeling. They feel that their team has been dealt with unjustly. It is of course much worse for the players and staff.

With goal line technology added to the game it would be both more enjoyable and more fair.

Contention three:

It will take a big load of the referees backs. Referees have a lot of pressure when making decisions in games. If goal line technology is put into the game the 50,000 home fans and a crowd of players harassing them to allow or disallow a goal won’t effect their decision. And they will have no worries of angry fans, managers or players afterwards.

Contention four:

There has and always will be referees willing to cheat to make a certain team win. With goal line technology it would make it harder for them to cheat.

http://www.goal.com......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk......

ilovedebate

Pro

I greatly apologize my opponent and audience for missing the third round. I will make it up in this last one.

*Rebuttal*
==That is not true. Refs do use technology such as ear mics. It is the players that everyone is watching not the refs. One of the refs most important jobs is making the game fair. Goal line technology would only improve soccer.==

Sorry for the confusion, there is technology put into soccer. However, it is necessary. Something like ear mics or walkie-talkies are essential for the game to move on because one needs to communicate to another. But is goal line technology really necessary? No. However, UEFA is testing an idea that hasn't had any complaints: adding two more referees into the game and posting them at each goalpost to see more clearly whether the goal has been made or not. Problem solved? Yes. Easily done? Yes. Any problems? No.

==Why should the sport depend on the human judgment and error of the referees? It depends on the judgment and error of each individual player and coach, but I do not see how referees making mistakes makes it more entertaining.==

"Players, coaches and referees all make mistakes. It's part of the game. It's what I would call the 'first match.' What you see after the fact on video simply doesn't come into it; that's the 'second match,' if you like. Video evidence is useful for disciplinary sanctions, but that's all. As we've always emphasised at FIFA, football's human element must be retained. It mirrors life itself and we have to protect it."
( http://bleacherreport.com... )

This is said by FIFA's general secretary. Con says the game depends on the judgment and error of each individual player and coach, but FIFA's secretary says the same only with referees added to the list.

"The FIFA president, Sepp Blatter, disagrees with technology testing because he believes human error is part of the game and goal line technology should be prohibited."
( http://kpyne1.wordpress.com... )

This is said by FIFA's president. Apparently, the most important people in the game of futbol agrees about the fact on not integrating unnecessary technology.

==On the contrary that is completely wrong. Every single time a referee makes a bad mistake both fans, players, and managers make a huge fuss about it. My opponents statement is not at all true that their mistakes make football a better game.==

This has been refuted by my rebuttal in the previous one.

==American football has much more technology than soccer, and is it still a sport? I do not see how adding technology will turn soccer into a business. It doesn't really make sense to me.==

Is American football a business? yes it is. ( http://detroit.cbslocal.com... )

==You will easily find that when referees make bad mistakes no one is at all forgiving. Have you ever seen Arsene Wenger or Alex Ferguson blast away at the refs after making even simple mistakes? And that's only managers that I mentioned the fans are even more ruthless.==

I have indeed. Especially the one with Ferguson...such a beautiful goal!! Anyways, the answer to this problem isn't technology, it's adding more referees. Don't you agree that if there was one extra referee standing right behind the goal, history would've been the same as when technology was put in the game?

Concluding statement 1

I have a question to ask the audience, what is so different about futbol from the rest of the sports? It is free flowing and with minimal pauses. Okay, so there are occasional fouls and penalties causing the delay of the game but the majority of the 90 minutes is all playing excluding the long intermission in the middle. Look at swimming, 3 laps more or less and it's done. Look at american football, only an average of 11 minutes of playing!! and that's in the highest level football.
( http://online.wsj.com... )
Look at basketball, one team runs to one side, shot, make, *pause*, other team runs to one side, shot, make, *pause*. I don't even need to say anything about baseball. There is no game more uninterrupted than soccer.

Adding goal line technology will only slow down this free flowing game. Look at a corner kick or a free kick kicked by someone like David Beckham. Balls curve, especially when they're kicked by the most prestigious players in the world. Many times, the ball is extremely close to getting into the goal, almost close enough that sometimes, I believe it is a goal. But does that mean every time, there must be a devastating pause in the game just to find out if it should be validated?

Concluding statement 2

Goal line technology involves machines. Even if we think that we are very deep into advancements in technology, we are, unfortunately not. Computers crash all the time, cars still break down, almost all devices run on batteries...There is no telling whether or not the goal line technologies inputed into the game can glitch causing a huge confusion and delay within the game frustrating everyone watching. What if the device breaks down? It might not happen very often but neither does a bad call from a referee.

Concluding statement 3

According to ( http://answers.learninginfo.org... ), soccer is so popular due to the fact that it is extremely simple and easy to play. It only requires 2 teams and 1 ball thus allowing every country to play. Goal line technology is extremely expensive. Soccer crazy countries such as Brasil will not be able to host games in their country due to the fact that FIFA has decided to engrave an extremely unnecessary and ridiculously expensive item into a popular sport. Not every country is wealthy and adding something like this will only segregate poorer countries from the rich.

Final statement.
Ladies and gentlemen, adding this technology is completely unnecessary. UEFA is testing a great method of using 5 referees instead of 3 and it is working. There hasn't been a single complaint about how bad the referees were. It is a lot more cheaper and will definitely cause less confusion and delay within the game. Throughout this debate, I have offered a solution much cheaper and less complex and made reasons as to why technology should not be included in this sport.

Vote pro!

Thank you audience and my opponent for the opportunity to debate such a wonderful topic thank you.
phantom

Con

phantom forfeited this round.
Posted by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
He's a votebomber. I'll counter as many points as I can
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
What the heck. I think that voter got the sides mixed around.
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Okay there was a glitch when I tried to post my argument it said I only had 640 characters I have no idea why. It was last minute so I could try to fix it.
Sorry I could not post this sooner I had to go right that second. But here is my last round argument.
http://www.debate.org...
It is completely unedited from the time I tried to post it here

I think I should be able to post even though I forfeited because it is DDO's fault I could not post my round.
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
There is a glitch I cannot post my argument!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by ilovedebate 5 years ago
ilovedebate
Oops sorry! I wanted to post my argument right after I got back from school which is at around 3:30 but had a dentist appointment that I didn't know about...
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
1 minute left...
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Idk if its a glitch or my fault.
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Ok I just read my post and somehow it is totally messed up.

I copy and pasted my argument from Micrsoft word. After I had copy and pasted it, it said I was 3,000 characters over the limit. I was in a big hurry so I quickly took 3k worth of characters out of my arguments then posted it without having the time to go over it much. Any way I have no idea how that happened.
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Sorry I have no idea why that happened to the formatting.
Posted by MrCarroll 5 years ago
MrCarroll
ilovedebate has a good point on technology, but then again there is technology in modern football. It's not necessary of course. But the one technology I would support would be goal line tech. A goal should be a goal; I don't think that should be subjective like the other parts of the game.
Vote Placed by ReformedArsenal 5 years ago
ReformedArsenal
ilovedebatephantomTied
Reasons for voting decision: In both games that America almost got knocked out of the World Cup with last time around, you can look at the tape and see that the ball was in... yet the Ref had a bad angle and couldn't see it. 3pts to Con.
Vote Placed by ExNihilo 5 years ago
ExNihilo
ilovedebatephantomTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeiture
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
ilovedebatephantomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited a round and did not really refute the fact that humans can make errors. Then again both sides forfeited so I can't award conduct points. Also countering the votebombs of Amveller and Exnihilo
Vote Placed by Amveller 5 years ago
Amveller
ilovedebatephantomTied
Reasons for voting decision: That's a no brainer
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
ilovedebatephantomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Solid back and forth, Con would have likely taken this without the forfeit. Still nice purity argument from Pro. 1pt