Beccles
xoxoJenniferxoxo

God Exists

Con Tied Pro

Beccles

Con

For the Con/Against side, I believe that God can't exist. Whether or not people believen in the concept of him being all around us and in our minds, I believe that some of the examples of 'proof' that people use to prove God's existance are nothing more than uneducated assumptions.
1)It is believed that god is Omnibenevolent (all loving), omniscient (all knowing), omnipotent (all powerful) and omnipresence (everywhere). Now, it is impossible for God to be all of these things. Everyone knows that earthquakes happen and volcanoes erupt, but if God was omnibenevolent wouldn't he stop it? The only excuse for him not to stop it is for him not to have known about it, or not to have had the power to stop it. But as people believe God has all of these characters, there's no reason why God shouldn't save his precious 'creations' whether we scientifically contributed towards the disaster or not! He's meant to be ALL-loving. Therefore, this one statement about God must be wrong!
2) Some people believe that miracles happen. Now, I don't believe in miracles because there is always another more practical explanation, like a coincidence, or mere luck, assuming something is automatically a miracle because it seems out of the ordinary is no way to prove that god exists! If some one is miraculously cured from a terminal illness, it doesn't neccessarilly have to be a miracle, it may be a certain scientific discovery that we have not yet made with the technology available today, and we may make more discoveries in the future! There are so many other explanations!
3) I believe that there is no need for God! If there was a God I believe that he would have made the perfect world like the bible says he did in the beginning, but he obviously hasn't because look at the state of it! I know people say that we have changed the world ourselves, but if God was all powerful, he sould be able to change it back! Yet he doesn't! Who's Mr. nice guy now??
Some people believe in the big bang, but I'm undecided whether to believe in this theory because there isn't really any undeniable evidence. I do agree that it is the most practical theory due to the evidence we do have, but I wasn't there to see it for myself so I'm not going to assume that it happened.
4) Over 1/2 of the population of the earth believe in some kind of life after death, whether it's heaven and hell or re-incarnation due to good/bad karma. Now I think that it's yet another assumption for religions to believe that you go anywhere after death, because your body dies, wrots away and can be turned into little bits of dust. It's never been proven that your soul leaves your body because no one's been there with a camera to get world-wide proof that there is a devil. Those people who 'claim' to have seen heaven and a 'bright white light' may just be lying!?
5) Finally, the most common excuse for people to use to try and prove the existance of God is by saying "You can't prove that God doesn't exist" Now, I find this extremely annoying, because fine, I can't prove that God doen't exist, but I can give you lots of reasons as to why it's so unlikely for him to exist that it's stupid to believe he does. I would much rather go through my life not believing in God and if one day he comes to my door and says hello, then I will be happy that there's something to believe in and somewhere to go after death. But if you go through life expecting all these miracles to happen, and wanting God to answer your prayers, when he doesn't come, and these things don't happen, you're going to be pretty dissappointed after devoting your life to something that doesn't exist! Doesn't it seem pretty pointless? Every believer knows that God might not be there at the end of the day, so isn't it a waste to go through your life believing in a lie when you could be doing so many other things!
In conclusion, I believe that it's a waste to believe in God because there's no proof except personal experience that God exist, and that will only prove it to yourself and not the world. Religion in general is too contradicting, assuming and pointless for me: it causes wars and hate. People sometimes can't be together because they believe in different things, even if they are so deeply in love. So why believe in a lie? Or devote your life to a book that may have been written my a fictional story writer thousands of years ago, with characters Mary, Joseph, Jesus and God? There's so many other explanations for everything so I believe it's literally impossible for God to exist!
xoxoJenniferxoxo

Pro

Seriously? You dont believe in god you dont have to. What makes you believe of other things? If you believe he does not exist doesnt mean you have to debate about his existence. I feel that is beyond debating.
I've got as much right as saying how do you know he doesnt exist as you have to saying to me how does he exist. He doesnt have to exist . I just believe in him.
Beccles

Con

Some people simply rely on their own personal faith, but I believe that without religion, the world would be so much simpler! You can't deny that religion has caused many deaths: Dating back to the 1700's there is records of Catholics vs Protestants and battles to rule the country! In certain religions, belief and faith can cause many obstacles or un-necessary problems and situation. Shabat for example, in Judaism can sometimes cause problems and many inconveniences, when is there really any need for it all?
So I understand it isn't a topic that can really be ended, but I just think that for something so life changing, religion isn't worth all of the problems it can cause especially when it may not be true!
Belief is also a very strong emotion and if you believe in God, then you have every right to, but don't you feel that it's a waste of time believing in something that probably isn't true? Wouldn't you feel stupid if you devoted your life to something make believe? I know I would!
xoxoJenniferxoxo

Pro

Without religion how would anyone judge what is wrong or right? How would we treat each other? A heck of alot worse! You wouldnt have any reasons to be nice to anyone and killing someone wouldnt be a crime it would be everday life!
Beccles

Con

There is no proof that religion is the reason we have morals! Are you saying that because I don't believe in God, I don't know that killing some on is wrong! If the whole world was atheist, it wouldn't mean that we'd go around killing each other! We would just have no barriers on things we wanted to do, and if people choose the wrong path then they should be punished! It's that simple!
xoxoJenniferxoxo

Pro

xoxoJenniferxoxo forfeited this round.
Posted by N-DiDonato 6 years ago
N-DiDonato
well, also if you really think about it, it is impossible to be all powerful and all knowing at the same time when god cant even change his own destiny, let alone humanity's. lets go o the topic of Jesus, who is proclaimed by his followers to be god himself. if he is all knowing then he obviously would have foreseen his death, now the typical Christian rebuttal for this is: "well he always did know he had to die but he decided to do it anyway, for us" what's the point of being all powerful if you cant change your own destiny to suit your own needs as well everyone else? if god was all powerful and all knowing he would have been able to figure a way out of being nailed to a cross and still saving the world from sin. therefore, if there is a god, which, most likely there's not, seeing as the evidence that he does NOT exist vastly outweighs the evidence that he does, he contradicts himself in every way.
Posted by gizmo1650 6 years ago
gizmo1650
stereotypical atheist/theistic argument
Posted by popculturepooka 6 years ago
popculturepooka
...I think both of you need to reflect on your beliefs a bit more.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
BecclesxoxoJenniferxoxoTied
Reasons for voting decision: As pro pointed out, it was up to con to prove that God doesn't exist, not merely point out that it's doubtful. No matter how many exclamation marks are used, it doesn't change that one weakness to the argument. Conduct for missed round.