bballboy9876
Kumquatodor

God Exists

bballboy9876

Pro

I firmly believe that God exists and I will try to provide my best arguments for His existence here. 1st round will be for opening statements, the 2nd round will be for arguments, the 3rd round will be for rebuttals, and the 4th will be for closing statements. I look forward to a great debate.
Kumquatodor

Con

I accept! I will be playing devil's advocate. Ha. Haha. I made a funny.
bballboy9876

Pro

Very clever! :) I look forward to debating this topic. While I myself am a Christian, I will be arguing from a logical, not religious, standpoint.

I will be using a few main arguments. First, I will show that the universe seems to be finely tuned to support our existence. Second, I will show that the big bang theory isn't the true explanation for the origin of our universe. 3rd, I will look at the near death experience.

When we look at our world and universe, we can see clear evidence of fine tuning. Everything we need for life can be provided here on Earth. Water is extremely abundant, as well as many different ways of obtaining food. The shelter we need is easy to obtain as well. In addition to this, our distance to the Sun is perfect. If we were any farther away, we would freeze. If we were any closer, we would burn. The list could go on and on.

The Big Bang Theory states that the universe came into being as a result of a "singularity", which was a very small ball of infinite density and intense heat. The problem with this is that density and heat didn't exist before the creation of the universe! This theory tries to state that something came from nothing, which goes directly goes against the Law of Conservation of Mass. Matter can't create itself, as matter, time, and energy came into existence with the universe. Therefore, we can presume that the Big Bang Theory actually is incorrect, and that the universe was actually caused by something outside of space, matter, and time. This would point to the existence of a God.

Near Death Experiences are a very controversial subject, to say the least. Experiencers report such instances as traveling down a tunnel of light, meeting with dead relatives, and even catching a glimpse of heaven! Some believe them to be a glimpse of an afterlife, while others believe them to be a creation of the dying brain. When we look at the aspects of these experiences, it becomes clear that these experiences aren't simply hallucinations, but real experiences. Even though people that have these experiences come from a variety of different cultures and regions, their experiences are strikingly similar. If these experiences were a product of the brain, wouldn't the experience be tailored to the person's personal beliefs? Also, in the case of Eben Alexander and others, these experiences occurred after brain function had ceased and the cortex of their brain had actually shut off! When we look at this, it appears that our view of consciousness is not the right view after all.

I look forward to hearing your arguments on this topic.
Kumquatodor

Con

12% of water is drinkable. 12%. WITH filtration!

Shelter's easy to obtain? How? I certainly don't know how to make a house!

We could be 25% closer and not burn. 37% further back and not freeze. That is significant. Furthermore, we know of thousands of planets in the right zone.
______________________________________________________
The Big Bang Theory states that the universe came into being as a result of a "singularity", which was a very small ball of infinite density and intense heat.
That would lend credence to the idea of a god, but its speculation.

Also, we know the universe is expanding, from what? We don't know, but logic would dictate we are expanding from a point.

If we assume these are real glimpses of heaven, why does one see Brahma, while someone else sees Yahweh, while others see Horus?

Also, we have to take into consideration: what would they see of without there eyes? How would they hear? Simple: Residual brain power. The people could be brought back to life, so their brains had to have been alive!

You can even hear after being beheaded, so residual senses isn't that far out there!
bballboy9876

Pro

bballboy9876 forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Con

Kumquatodor forfeited this round.
bballboy9876

Pro

I would like to apologize for my forfeit; my internet was down for a few days and I was unable to post.

There are many forms of natural shelter that were used in ancient times, such as caves.

I would love to see a source on this. Salt water can be filtered; cost is the major issue.

How can we prove this? Nobody who has been beheaded has come back to tell the tale.

Conclusion: God exists. The cause of the universe can only be explained by a cause outside of space, matter, and time (God). Evidence of a finely tuned universe are everywhere. While the Near Death Experience is a controversial subject, this experience further supports the idea of a God.

I thank my opponent for their participation in this debate.
Kumquatodor

Con

I have no caves in my area, and my area is no city!

Near Death Experience is a controversial subject, this experience further supports the idea of a God.
Why, then, do someponies see Brahma, others see Allah, some see the Buhdda, and others see nothing at all.

I would love to see a source on this.
Excuse me. The actual percentage is 2.5%.
http://www.globalchange.umich.edu...