professorguy
CarolHan

God Exists

professorguy

Con

My argument is based on burden of proof. Burden of proof states that "The burden of proof lies with someone who is making a claim, and is not upon anyone else to disprove." [1] In other words, you must prove God exists, not me disproving it. If I can refute your argument, then I win.

[1] yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof
CarolHan

Pro

God exists. The proof is the bible, you and this earth. In proverbs chapter 12 verse 16, it says "he who hates correction is stupid. The Bible teaches that even demons believe in God - and tremble. (James 2 vs. 19) Since you affirm your belief in God, you should be better able to understand the answers to the questions below. When you pray you think that it is just a joke because you don't get replies, but, you actually do get the replies you want. You need to find them. It is hidden somewhere but you are the one who doesn't want to find it. When you pray , it is like getting phone calls to God. God answers and you have to find those answers.My dad is a minister and he has taught me all the way so I can learn.
http://www.charismanews.com...
http://realtruth.org...
professorguy

Con

Here is my rebuttal:

"The proof is in the bible..." I AM THE PRESIDENT OF THE GALAXY! Just because I wrote that down doesn't make it true.
"...you..." Humans are highly evolved primates.
"...and this earth." The Earth's formation can be explained without God. [1]
"Demons believe in god..." I AM SECRETARY-GENERAL OF THE UNITED NATIONS! Give me evidence.

As for prayer:
Even heard of the placebo effect? If one gives a patient a sugar pill, and tells them that the sugar pill will help their ailment, then they start to heal.

Prayer is a sugar pill. You only receive results because you think you will. Just like the sugar pill, it's all in your head.

Evidence:

"One of the most scientifically rigorous studies yet, published earlier this month, found that the prayers of a distant congregation did not reduce the major complications or death rate in patients hospitalized for heart treatments. " [2]

"A review of 17 past studies of 'distant healing," published in 2003 by a British researcher, found no significant effect for prayer or other healing methods. " [2]

"In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications. " [3]

"Religious leaders will breathe a sigh of relief at the news that so-called intercessory prayer is medically ineffective. In a large and much touted scientific study, one group of patients was told that strangers would pray for them, a second group was told strangers might or might not pray for them, and a third group was not prayed for at all. The $2.4 million study found that the strangers' prayers did not help patients' recovery." [4]

[1] http://www.universetoday.com...
[2] http://web.archive.org...
[3] http://web.archive.org...
[4] http://www.nytimes.com...
CarolHan

Pro

CarolHan forfeited this round.
professorguy

Con

It appears you have forfeited. Therefore, ALL arguments you have given me are FALSE. Until you can give me one that works, I win. Also, I shall refute the "Argument from Beauty" you have used.

Let me explain. You have stated that the fact that babies are beautiful shows that God exists. This is actually because:

a) Mothers that protect their babies get to pass on their genes, so mothers protect babies.
b) Those that attack babies die, because of a).
c) Therefore those who LIKE babies survive.
d) Hence, you think babies are beautiful.

If you can give me a better reason, then I can rebut.

Otherwise, burden of proof says I must be right. IF THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF RELIGION, IT IS FALSE.
CarolHan

Pro

God does exist and I wish you would answer my question "How do you think the Earth and stars were made. How do you think planets, the milky way, the galaxy was made, but if God weren't real, why do you even think there will be whispers of God on the Earth." I ask you answers for these questions. The Bible, then do you know who wrote the Bible? Why would the Bible exist when you think God doesn't exist? The natural disasters and bad things that happened in your life are because you have to get punishment. Try not to be bad just for a day and good things will come forward instead of running away from you. Why would we exist? Do you think animals, plants, crops, living things would have just popped out of nowhere?
http://www.proofthatgodexists.org...
http://abcnews.go.com...
http://www.patheos.com...
http://www.strangenotions.com...
professorguy

Con

I will answer everything in turn.

The Earth and stars and galaxy were naturally formed. This is basic Cosmology.
"Whispers of God"? I don't know what that means.
The Bible was written by a bunch of primitive men who thought they could use "God" as evidence of their points. Examples:

Killing Whom You Don't Like (Leviticus 20:7-13 NIV)

7 ""Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the Lord your God. 8 Keep my decrees and follow them. I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

9 ""Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. Because they have cursed their father or mother, their blood will be on their own head.

10 ""If a man commits adultery with another man"s wife"with the wife of his neighbor"both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

11 ""If a man has sexual relations with his father"s wife, he has dishonored his father. Both the man and the woman are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

12 ""If a man has sexual relations with his daughter-in-law, both of them are to be put to death. What they have done is a perversion; their blood will be on their own heads.

13 ""If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Slavery (Exodus 21:2-21 NIV)

"If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

5 "But if the servant declares, "I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free," 6 then his master must take him before the judges.[a] He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

7 "If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself,[b] he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.
Personal Injuries

12 "Anyone who strikes a person with a fatal blow is to be put to death. 13 However, if it is not done intentionally, but God lets it happen, they are to flee to a place I will designate. 14 But if anyone schemes and kills someone deliberately, that person is to be taken from my altar and put to death.

15 "Anyone who attacks[c] their father or mother is to be put to death.

16 "Anyone who kidnaps someone is to be put to death, whether the victim has been sold or is still in the kidnapper"s possession.

17 "Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.

18 "If people quarrel and one person hits another with a stone or with their fist[d] and the victim does not die but is confined to bed, 19 the one who struck the blow will not be held liable if the other can get up and walk around outside with a staff; however, the guilty party must pay the injured person for any loss of time and see that the victim is completely healed.

20 "Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

Oppression of Women (1 Timothy 2:8-15 NIV)

8 Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. 9 I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

11 A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[b] she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women[c] will be saved through childbearing"if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Punishment? I was a creationist for the great majority of my life. Only about a year ago I lost my faith. I didn't notice any changes.

"Why do we exist?" Evolution, but I'm guessing you don't understand what that means, so here goes:

First, there was hydrogen and other gases. When struck by lightning, they sometimes were able to form chemicals that could produce copies. The ones that could got copied on. Finally, we arrived at life.

In nature, we observe the following things:

1.) animals reproduce, but they do not reproduce exact copies. children look like their parents, but not exactly. (there is variation )
2.) these differences between generations tend to be small, but also unpredictable in the near term. So a child is taller or has an extra finger, but they're not taller or extra-fingered because their parents needed to reach high things or play extra piano keys. (so the variation is random, rather than being a direct response to the environment)
3.) animals often have more kids than the environment can support and animals that are BEST SUITED to the environment tend to survive and reproduce. So if there is a drought, for instance, and there is not enough water, offspring that need less water---or that are slightly smaller and so can get in faster to get more water---will survive and reproduce. (there is a process of natural selection which preserves some changes between generations in a non-random way)

As a result, over time, the proportion of traits (what we would now refer to as the frequency of genes in a population) will change, in keeping with natural selection. This is evolution.

The "Proof that God Exists" is just a proof of certain qualities. You can have these things without God; that should be blindingly obvious. http://skeptico.blogs.com...

The "ABC News' story is about the ontological argument. It has been refuted. http://skeptico.blogs.com...

For the "Patheos" argument: Did you even take the time to Google this? She was taking the right medicine.

I have to go now.
CarolHan

Pro

CarolHan forfeited this round.
professorguy

Con

professorguy forfeited this round.
CarolHan

Pro

CarolHan forfeited this round.
Posted by CarolHan 2 years ago
CarolHan
I am not a boy. Would you like it if I called you a girl? How rude PeacefulChaos and professorguy
Posted by professorguy 2 years ago
professorguy
PeacefulChaos, you must assume the default until evidence to the contrary surfaces. For instance, the default is that your friends cannot fly until you see them doing it. If one of them said, "I can't fly," they wouldn't need evidence to back that up -- you would!
Posted by professorguy 2 years ago
professorguy
It's a joke, LenaQueen.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
If there was no evidence for anything (no rational arguments, no empirical evidence, nothing to influence me, etc.), then I'd honestly say I'd become agnostic and believe that something like God can't be knowable.

But, if I were only given the options of believing in God or atheism, then yes, I would probably initially choose atheism out of the two.
Posted by LenaQueen 2 years ago
LenaQueen
What do you mean, unicorns don't exist?! Of course they do!
Posted by professorguy 2 years ago
professorguy
PeacefulChaos, if there were absolutely no evidence on either side, you would choose atheism, right? That's the idea.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
It is true that, generally speaking, people who claim that "X" exists should provide some sort of evidence to back up their claims, or else there isn't much reason to believe otherwise.

In this specific case, however, you are making the claim that "X" does NOT exist. For example:

"Unicorns do not exist." Would the burden of proof not be equally shared among the debaters? The instigator would have to provide some arguments of why unicorns do not exist, while the acceptor would have to provide evidence as to why it does exist. Even though unicorns obviously do not exist and the default position is that they do not exist, the fact remains that the person is making a claim and now that person must back it up.

I'd like to say that I am not trying to instigate an argument, but that I am only trying to understand the matter at hand.
Posted by professorguy 2 years ago
professorguy
PeacefulChaos, thank you for thinking for yourself. The BOP lies on Pro because I am taking the default position. UNLESS IT CAN BE PROVEN THAT GOD EXISTS, WE MUST ASSUME HE DOES NOT.

http://rationalwiki.org...
Posted by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
If the BOP lies with the one making the claim, wouldn't that technically mean Con also has BOP since he is instigating the debate and claiming that God doesn't exist?
Posted by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos