rusty-q
niccybee

God IS real

niccybee

rusty-q

Pro

First of all, take a good look around you. What do you see? Everything is so complex and fascinating. It couldn't just appear out of nowhere! That means there must be a Creator - God. How did humans learn to speak? Well, God created man with the knowledge and ability to speak. The first human, Adam, couldn't have just made up a bunch of sounds and made sense out of them. It takes a special intelligence to even be able to function properly, or at all!

Look at the human body: the eye, heart, and all of the 100 trillion cells that are in our body. It's all so incredible that just us ourselves are complete evidence for a God!

As the famous author C.S. Lewis said, "Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist."
niccybee

Con

God does not exist. God and religion has been a way to control populations for thousands of years, because if a person is fearing the consequences of their actions from a 'higher being' then the person is less likely to rebel against the ruling class. An example of this is Martin Luther who translated bible which was only in Latin at the time into German, this was one of the first times that common people could read the book and interpret the words for themselves. In this regard the Roman Catholic Church was able to control the masses against charge them a fee for repentence, making the church one of the wealthiest organisations still to this day.

Now to your examples of that everything in the world was made by an all powerful creator, every point you made in those examples can be explained by evolution. The reason man learned to speak is that we have evolved to communicate with words, this is why language changes, and words and their meanings change. If an all powerful being made everything, surely he would have made it all perfect the first time!

Cells do not stand as a reason for God either, the fact that we change our cells constantly stands as an explanation for evolution, and our ability to pass on genetics to our children and changes will occur in their genes to better suit the environment that we are living in.

Another point to be made is if a God made everything, why would he allow things that he made destroy the world and the environment.

But finally to ask you a question now, if there had to be a God to create everything, who created God?
rusty-q

Pro

I agree that it's wrong to control people using religion like the Catholic Church did. But belief is a choice that everyone has to make. When a person truly is a follower of God, they WANT to obey him, not because they are scared of the consequences of not obeying. They have a deep love for him and want others to be able to experience that also.
Evolution couldn"t "just so happen" to make anything so amazing as the human. The basis of our thoughts comes from the Lord, not from a blob of slime. And we have a soul, an eternal life! But that"s where faith comes in. You can choose to believe or deny that there is a heaven and a hell, but you will still have eternal life in one of them. You have the choice to burn in the Lake of Fire for all eternity or to live in the presence of our CREATOR for all eternity!! We are made in God"s image, so that is how we know to speak. He SPOKE everything into existence. God did create a perfect world, but he gave man the choice to either obey or disobey him. Adam walked and talked with God on earth. Adam and Eve disobeyed him and the world is no longer perfect, because God cannot be in the same place as sin. Heaven is perfect so He is there waiting for us, his beloved children, to run to him.

Yes, we do change cells, but God created the intricate processes needed for it. We were given the choice to have children or not to have children. He even gave us the choice to believe something like evolution.

He did create earthly things to last forever, but once we sinned that automatically changed. Now, humans" earthly bodies die, but not our spiritual ones. He allows things that he made to be destroyed to show us that nothing from the earth lasts forever, so we must follow him.

To answer your question, God was not created. He is outside of time. It is hard for a nonbeliever to understand. God is so amazing and awesome that we cant even begin to comprehend all of his works. God is all-powerful and nothing is impossible with God. You could say that I can't fly, and that"s true, but it is because it isn't his will for me to fly.

Whatever the result of this debate is, my faith wont be shaken. The world will persecute and hate Christians, but that doesn't matter to me at all. I don't care what the world thinks of me. I have a God who loves me unconditionally.

"In God, whose word I praise - in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?" - Psalm 56:4
niccybee

Con

The basis for this argument is unfair, as to prove my point I have to provide facts and evidence to support my argument however you use unsubstantiated quotes like "it is hard for a non believer to understand". First of all I never stated I was a non believer, I am simply debating your point. Second of all you are reciting words off a book and treating them as factual statements, and "God says it is, so it is so."

To debate your points however I will raise the facts that the Christian "God" that you are talking about has only been around for 2000 years, not including the God of the Old Testament. This means humans actually predate the God you are talking about, by around 50 000 years of found of evidence of life.

I believe it is a great thing that you 'have a God that loves you unconditionally' but you should be able to love yourself unconditionally and be a good person without the need of a supernatural being. If you believe that regardless of what happens in this life that you will find yourself in the most beautiful afterlife, then you are not allowing yourself to reach your full potential whilst you are alive. This means you are not acting in the best way all the time because regardless what happens you goto heaven. Or you belief that you can suffer in poverty or mistreatment because at the end of your life you will have everything you desire.

It is for these reasons that 'God' is used to suppress people, and thus religion has always been targeted at people who are down and out. An example of this is Alcoholics Anonymous who although there has been countless studies suggesting treating alcoholism through the teachings of God is ineffective, however because the Church has such control over it it will never change.
Posted by whiteflame 6 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Ockham// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Con (Arguments), 2 points to Pro (Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Conduct was good on both sides, and both sides used good spelling and grammar. Con had more convincing arguments, since Pro primarily appealed to faith and scripture rather than evidence. Having faith is fine, but if you're going to enter a debate there is a tacit agreement that you will be presenting evidence. Sources goes to Pro because he cited authors who agreed with him, and Con didn't cite any sources even though he could easily have quoted any number of scientists or philosophers to bolster his case. Good debate, guys!

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter has to do more than state the problems with the losing side in order to justify allocating argument points. Specific arguments made by both sides have to be evaluated, and while source and general argument direction may influence such a decision, they cannot be the sole basis for evaluating the substance of an argument. (2) Sources are insufficiently explained. Evaluating the relevance of a given side's sources takes more than just saying that they found sources that agreed with them, and quantity alone is not a basis for awarding source points.
************************************************************************
Posted by vi_spex 6 months ago
vi_spex
your claim is that it appeared out of nowhere.. lol
Vote Placed by Richardsonalj 6 months ago
Richardsonalj
rusty-qniccybeeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sadly, there wasn't all that much to this debate. While they both had sufficient grammar and conduct, niccybee had better arguments than the usual "take a good look around you. What do you see? Everything is so complex and fascinating. It couldn't just appear out of nowhere!" rusty-q, if you want to succeed in debates you need to bring forth evidence for god to win the debate, or evidence that evolution is false. While I wanted to see niccybee site evidence for evolution studies, I have to stay my hand and give no one points for reliable sources. I view the bible as a claim, not evidence; therefore it is completely useless in every sense of a debate, especially if no god is known. Arguments should never be built upon faith. Faith is weak, and it can be killed with truth and undeniable facts. This is a bronze-age idea that needs to be left behind. That is why niccybee gets the argument, and no one gets most reliable sources.